Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media PC - Advise please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

before i reply to this question could you update your links as they have timed out

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Update links added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Was thinking along these lines for the MOBO:Has HDMI/DVI built in, think it would suit the case better also.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20386&agid=667

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

The case doesn't have IR built in.
    The Fusion model with the VFD has IR though
    Was thinking along these lines for the MOBO:Has HDMI/DVI built in, think it would suit the case better also.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20386&agid=667

the other mobo wouldnt work anyway, as the case only takes mATX boards
    don't know what that nvidia board is like, I built a media pc with a gigabyte G33 board and a 2600pro and it works great

• Advertisement

somakasvh wrote: »
    The case doesn't have IR built in.
    The Fusion model with the VFD has IR though

the other mobo wouldnt work anyway, as the case only takes mATX boards
    don't know what that nvidia board is like, I built a media pc with a gigabyte G33 board and a 2600pro and it works great

Agreed on the MOBO it wouldn't fit.

I've read very mixed reviews about the Fusion Model with the VFD and IR built in here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707327

In the diff in price between the Fusion Model and The Antec NSK 2480 may be better of using the Media Center remote and reciever! :confused:

The fusion doesn't come with a remote so you'd still have to buy one.
    I used the fusion in my project - It was nice not having to use an external IR receiver. Also, I was a sucker for that big volume control knob. and the NSK2480 doesnt come in black

somakasvh wrote: »
    The fusion doesn't come with a remote so you'd still have to buy one.
    I used the fusion in my project - It was nice not having to use an external IR receiver. Also, I was a sucker for that big volume control knob. and the NSK2480 doesnt come in black

So did you find any probs with the receiver in the Fusion? Was line/angle of sight an issue with it?

True the NSK2480 does not come in black but the Fusion does and it seems to have better reports RE: the screen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the NSK 2480 is a LOT bigger than you think it is. It's basically a full sized tower case just on its side. It will surprise you how big it is, the pictures are very misleading.

I'd get the dimensions of the case off the Antec site then make up a cardboard box to match, adding about 1.5"s on the back to account for cables. Also, add .5" for the feet.

I know I bought one and was amazed how large it was for a mATX case. I mean i've seen full ATX HT cases that where smaller.

yeah, i just noticed there that the silver and black have different screens. the black has an iMON soundgraph type LCD screen.
    No, I didn't have any problems with the reciever. I build it for a friend and he has had no complaints about it. I bought a Microsoft media centre remote to go with it and this came with its own IR reciever which i didn't use but would at least do as a backup

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    the NSK 2480 is a LOT bigger than you think it is. It's basically a full sized tower case just on its side. It will surprise you how big it is, the pictures are very misleading.

I'd get the dimensions of the case off the Antec site then make up a cardboard box to match, adding about 1.5"s on the back to account for cables. Also, add .5" for the feet.

I know I bought one and was amazed how large it was for a mATX case. I mean i've seen full ATX HT cases that where smaller.

Will do, size is not an issue with this project but at the same time i don't want a beast of a thing taking up my tv stand either. Thanks for the heads up L31mr0d!

CPU
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=17480&agid=398 (would this be sufficient for Vista media centre?)
    [/I][/B]

Anyone with any advise on the processor above, would it run vista smooth or would it struggle? Just need to make sure that what i am getting will give a HTPC that is smooth running etc etc.

Advertisement