Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm nearly involved in an RTA 2-3 times a week.

Options
  • 15-04-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I've been driving for 5 odd years now, and for the last year I've had a company car and have had reason to be on the road far more than usual. For the first couple of months I was just driving along normally, and dealing with the every day trials and tribulations of Dublin City traffic.

Over the recent few months (Since end December actually) I've been keeping a small record of the amount of near collisions I've been involved in. The reason for keeping the record was because of the huge amount of near collisions I'd experienced - I got the feeling that there was a lot - but decided to write them down just for the laugh, and to see if the results showed up anything scary.

So on average, I nearly get crashed into 2.4 times a week. And by near crash I mean where another vehicle is within 1 - 2 feet of my car, and it is only my actions that prevent a crash.

There have been near misses where trucks pull out in front of me, where cars are driving down the wrong side of the road towards me, where a van nearly hit me by going the wrong way around a round-about, where cars drift randomly from lane to lane without a thought.

The count would have been far lower if it weren't for my journey home. I've to drive past Santry Stadium, and head up toward the Swiss Cottage Pub (for anyone who knows it). The road goes from one to two lanes, with the right lane leading to a right hand turn for Ballymun. Nearly every day sees a car drift from the right hand lane into the left hand lane, without indicators, and without a thought for who is beside them. This particular road is the cause for the weekly near crash count to be as high as it is imo.

I'm just thinking that had a fraction of those near hits actually happened, I'd surely be brown bread by now :(

Oh and I write this not from a soap box, as I realise that I'm not a perfect driver myself. I've done a few silly things too i.e. forgetting to indicate etc. But luckily it hasn't ended in tears or anything like it. The stats above just kinda scared me, and I was looking to see if others experienced anything similar. The roads are deffo not a safe place.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

count yourself lucky mate, i drive a bike from finglas to work in harolds cross and then again home in the evening and im nearly involved in a RTA 2-3 times each journey!! :mad:

on a more serious note, the standard of driving out there is bad, very bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

kceire wrote: »
    on a more serious note, the standard of driving out there is bad, very bad.
    Don't forget that the BIG problem on our roads is speeding. Standards of driving(very poor in this country, does anybody know how to use indicators at a roundabout?) have nothing whatsoever to do with road safety, not even slightly, but heaven help you if you break the speed limit:rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

E92 wrote: »
    Don't forget that the BIG problem on our roads is speeding. Standards of driving(very poor in this country, does anybody know how to use indicators at a roundabout?) have nothing whatsoever to do with road safety, not even slightly, but heaven help you if you break the speed limit:rolleyes:.

i agree, the amount of times i see cars in the left lane indicating right and going striaght

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah but wait, the 600 new safety cameras will be able to detect these lane drifters, incompetents and of course the No.1 killer - driving on the wrong side of the road.

hang on...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Number One rule of driving: Assume the other car is being driven by an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

That lane change at Santry staduium is a complete pain in the arse. I remember thinking "what fcuking idiot did this" the first time I encountered it.

On that not, the UCD exit on the N11 going towards Wexford, another annoying fcuking lane going somewhere it shouldn't.

The closed I've come was in the carpark (not sh!tting you) of Total Fitness Blanchardstown. I was driving around heading towards a different part of the car park and some gobsh!te came flying thru back to back empty spaces (with cars parked on either side. If it hadn't been for a quick jab on the breaks and turn of the wheel we were having a nasty little crash. He actually came out of the 2 spaces faster than I was driving along!!

Oh and on Sunday on Manor Street... Red Fiesta parked against the direction of traffic. Me going along abou 50kph. What do you think happens? The idiot in the fiesta decides to pull out without indicating right into the middle of my lane (keep in mind he was facing the wrong way). It was a wet day so I'd no option but to go around him. If there had been a car comin the other way I was fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

My boyfriend was heading west along Pearse Streat and the quays yesterday afternoon. There was a red Fiesta near him who, several times, changed lanes without indicating or checking his mirrors. In the few minutes they were driving the guy came close to hitting him at least twice so my boyfriend tried to stay at least 10 yards away from the guy. They were just past the Ha'penny Bridge when he saw in his mirror the moment that the guy collided into a Dublin Council clampers van. My boyfriend was happy that a) it wasn't him the guy hit and b) the guy got his comeuppance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

eve wrote: »
    My boyfriend was heading west along Pearse Streat and the quays yesterday afternoon. There was a red Fiesta near him who, several times, changed lanes without indicating or checking his mirrors. In the few minutes they were driving the guy came close to hitting him at least twice so my boyfriend tried to stay at least 10 yards away from the guy. They were just past the Ha'penny Bridge when he saw in his mirror the moment that the guy collided into a Dublin Council clampers van. My boyfriend was happy that a) it wasn't him the guy hit and b) the guy got his comeuppance.

And c) someone got the clampers

edit: irrelevant line removed. Post your point again Hanley if you wish but be a little more PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ballooba wrote: »

Bingo. Except without thinking you're the best driver in the world, as some seem to.

I had *the same driver* nearly crash in to my twice on the M2 through Belfast on Sunday morning - R plated lane weaver, once when she went in to a minute space without indicating go from lane 3 to 2, and *the exact same manoeuvre* about two miles later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Isnt this normal?

there is a reason i keep 4-6+ car lengths up front as much as possible and more as speed increases.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Assume!!! 9 times out of 10 it usually is!!!! Ireland is full of idiots on the road, I have driven in Ireland, NI, UK, France, Italy and USA and bar Italy, where its crazy, we are just fking useless on the road.
    Cannot use roundabouts, cannot indicators, cannot estimate speed of oncoming traffic and therefore pull out in front of you.
    Hog fast lanes, no courtesy etc etc etc etc etc. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Funny - I do a bit of driving abroad every once in a while and I always enjoy it far more than driving here - and you've hit the nail on the head as to why...

You can trust the other driver not to be a complete tool.

one thing I always said about the Italians - they are nuts but they are skillful drivers -
    I'd rather be in bumper to bumper traffic at 100 round Naples than at 30 round the m50 - I would just feel safer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

haven't had many near misses myself.. one or two serious near misses.

cars pulling out of junctions and not being able to accelerate hard - i hate that... they'll pause, obviously acknowledging you are approaching, then pull out anyway and drive as if you're not there :confused:

one near miss on a roundabout also, woman pulled out without looking, probably not even realising what she'd done..

apart from that just the usual... general stupidity - indicators, wrong lanes, trigger happy on brakes, people who won't overtake, people who will spend their entire journey over taking :cool:

most annoying thing though for me is speed or lack of it :rolleyes: i can accept lorries and tractors and vans etc.. not being able to hack it at 100km/hr, but when cars are holding back lorries that just annoys the hell out of me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Heh Heh Heh.:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

That's the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

With all due respect...

I remember reading in an advanced driving book that if you find you're getting into near misses, you're not paying enough attention. It's a good indication that you're not anticpating properly.

There are plenty of times people do stupid things around me, but very few of them would qualify as a near miss as I normally see it happening well in advance, and while they're idiots for doing what they do, I'm still safe and happy.

Of course, I've probably jinxed myself now...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AudiChris wrote: »
    There are plenty of times people do stupid things around me, but very few of them would qualify as a near miss as I normally see it happening well in advance

My experience is the same. In 22 years of driving, I have had no accidents and I've had a near miss only once. That was because a Garda car shot out from an alley into my path. The Garda driver was most apologetic :)

Of course there is luck and there are accidents which can not be avoided, but I agree a lot is to do with your anticipation.

kceire wrote: »
    i agree, the amount of times i see cars in the left lane indicating right and going striaght

Or my pet hate: a car not indicating at all when taking a right turn on a roundabout (third exit) and then indicating left (for the benefit of no one) at or after they have taken their turn :rolleyes:

I've never seen that one in any other country...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

People do not know how to indicate on roundabouts, now i doubt that many collisions on roundabouts cause death, but still.
    Proper indication makes roundabout flow better as you know where the car intends to go.
    I think Garda with guns should stand on roundabouts and shoot people in the head for their crimes against indications, or as a first offence, saw off their left hand, if they dont use it then they wont miss it!

HJL wrote: »
    I think Garda with guns should stand on roundabouts and shoot people in the head for their crimes against indications

:eek:

There'd be few people left ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Since we know there's so many bad drivers out there, you'd think people would drive accordingly and read other drivers better. I assume everyone else is an idiot which works well in avoiding accidents. Most of the time.

unkel wrote: »

There'd be few people left ;)

Yep, less traffic congestion, less pollution. Their jobs will need to be filled so reduction in unemployment etc.
    Its a win/win situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

This is exactly the difference between driving here and the UK.
    Recently did a thousand miles in England, allsorts, London city, motorway, westcountry back roads and not a single serious or dangerous incident.
    I and most other drivers put the boot down when safe to do so.

Back here in 50 miles after getting off the ferry I had 3 separate idiots gambling with their and my lives.

And yet my Dad - a typical Irish driver couldnt comprehend the difference
    "but shure why wouldnt you be expected to move over to the hard shoulder when someone overtaking coming against you is on your side of the road"
    Well D'oh, I mean D'ah.
    My Da like a sizeable majority of drivers here, will just never get it, Old dogs, no new tricks.
    And here, young and old, so many drive just like him:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Driving lessons should be compulsory for all holders of a provisional licence/learner permit and every driver should be made re sit the test every few years.

Doubtless there are many people on our roads who do things in a test the way they're supposed to be done and do things all wrong once they pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Doubtless there are many people on our roads who do things in a test the way they're supposed to be done and do things all wrong once they pass.

Agree, but at least if they had to do an oral or written test to renew their license then they might be made aware of up to date driving rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

BostonB wrote: »
    Since we know there's so many bad drivers out there, you'd think people would drive accordingly and read other drivers better. I assume everyone else is an idiot which works well in avoiding accidents. Most of the time.
    A laudable if somewhat flawed strategy that unfortunately the govenment has also been relying on for decades.
    Never underestimate the ingenuity of idiots.
    It becomes a bit like dodging raindrops. No matter how nimble, you eventually get wet.:pac:
    I'd prefer a re-education and attitude reallignment strategy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Common sense is flawed? Thats a new one on me.

If there was any sort of Garda road presence they could easily be enforcing the current rules and laws. No point introducing new education and new strategies if you barely enforce the current rules. Theres people who have one accident after another, and yet are able to keep getting back out on the road. Thats just a farce. It doesn't help that the roads and junctions and sign age are insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

HJL wrote: »
    People do not know how to indicate on roundabouts, now i doubt that many collisions on roundabouts cause death, but still.
    Proper indication makes roundabout flow better as you know where the car intends to go.
    I think Garda with guns should stand on roundabouts and shoot people in the head for their crimes against indications, or as a first offence, saw off their left hand, if they dont use it then they wont miss it!

Thats assuming they know the rules themselves. A friend of mine was pulled by a Garda for using the left lane to go off the 2nd exit of a roundabout, into Bray off the M11/50, just because everyone else was using the right lane for going back onto the motorway:confused:.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Thats assuming they know the rules themselves. A friend of mine was pulled by a Garda for using the left lane to go off the 2nd exit of a roundabout, into Bray off the M11/50, just because everyone else was using the right lane for going back onto the motorway:confused:.

What did the Garda say? And what did your friend say back? Rules state that you should only use the right lane for a second exit if the left lane is congested and the right lane is free moving, however i dont think the average Garda would like being told that he doesnt know the rules of the road. I bet he still insisted that he was right.

One time i was driving along at night, straight bit of road. Car pulls out right in front of causing me to slow rapidly, i flashed the lights as you do to express my feeling towards their rubbish driving. Then noticed the D reg and 3 aerials, unmarked car, didnt care though because i was within my right to flash at bad driving. But then he pulled into a lay by, to let me past, then took off again and drove close to me as we were approaching town limits, seeing would i step over the speed limit i suspect.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »

If that was the Bray south exit (roundabout near the statoil) then the left lane is marked left turn only. The right lane is for all other exits.

Advertisement