Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEP Proinsias de Rossa physically attacked at meeting on Lisbon Treaty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

P-P-P-Pick up a Prionsias

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Shocking. At least he's OK. Does anyone know exactly who these 'opponents of the Lisbon Treaty' were? Were they people who were at the meeting? Much as I disagree with Declan Ganley, I can't picture him sending hit squads after his opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Shocking. At least he's OK. Does anyone know exactly who these 'opponents of the Lisbon Treaty' were? Were they people who were at the meeting? Much as I disagree with Declan Ganley, I can't picture him sending hit squads after his opponents.
    Ganley's a good guy and doing a great job. So quit the cheap linkage attempt.
    It could have been some Workers party hack from the old days when I remember Prionsias's massive poster campaign on the buses saying No To Mastrict!!
    What a diffrence a Euro Paraliment paycheck makes....well at least it not like the old KGB funding days....or is it?

dathi1 wrote: »
    It could have been some Workers party hack from the old days when I remember Prionsias's massive poster campaign on the buses saying No To Mastrict!!
    What a diffrence a Euro Paraliment paycheck makes....well at least it not like the old KGB funding days....or is it?
    Excuse me? Where was there a linkage attempt? It was meant as ridiculous example. I said that I disagree with the guy but I can't see Libertas condoning something like this, and simply wondered where these 'treaty opponents' came from, since that's what the article referred to them as.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

dathi1 wrote: »

Is it really about paychecks, you think? You reckon de Rossa just supports the EU because he gets an MEP salary as opposed to a TD salary? How does that explain all the eurosceptic MEPs?

interested,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

interesting report of the incident over on indymedia.ie and how de rossa was the only irish mep to support a resolution in the european parliament to ignore the result of the lisbon referendum if it resulted in a no vote, is this true?
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/87188

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

interesting report of the incident over on indymedia.ie and how de rossa was the only irish mep to support a resolution in the european parliament to ignore the result of the lisbon referendum if it resulted in a no vote, is this true?

He certainly voted against an SF stunt amendment.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bob2000

Interesting comment on Indymedia

"It's all lies
    by Can't give my name Tue Apr 15, 2008 19:10
    I was at the meeting, and saw this incident. There was a bunch of guys that walked down the street after De Rossa asking him questions then De Rossa attacked the camera man, grabbed him by the face and then tried to pull him down to the ground as the guy with the camera tried to run away. De Rossa chased after him grabbing onto his bag and nearly pushing the camera man through the window of Liberty Hall. He wouldn't let go of the camera guy and stole his bag. Then people from the street grabbed De Rossa to restrain him and maybe this is why "they sat on his back". He's all shook up? Well im still shook up - shook up to see an Irish representative attacking a member of the public for just asking questions. I hate the thought of being in a dictatorship... oh wait too late?"

Don't know if its true myself, but roughing someone up by sitting on them sounds quite unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Interesting. The voice-over in that second video sounds suspiciously similar to that on the "End of Nations" anti-Lisbon video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 kerryview

hmmmm - so the workers party shows it's old debating techniques. At least Prionsias is now guaranteed press coverage! who he ? de rossa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The facts of the incident aren't in. I do know, however, that he wasn't pushed to the ground, he slipped during an attempt to get the guy to stop filming. Around that time, another of the protesters made off with one of his bags (a Labour Party display stand), and he managed to hold on to the camera man's own bag. By that time he was on the ground, face down, being sat on by one of the thugs with another one saying, "Don't hit him, don't hit him". De Rossa did not say, at the Irish Times did, that he was struck to the ground.

I had heard it was a group of We are Change Ireland people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

DadaKopf wrote: »
    The facts of the incident aren't in. I do know, however, that he wasn't pushed to the ground, he slipped during an attempt to get the guy to stop filming. Around that time, another of the protesters made off with one of his bags (a Labour Party display stand), and he managed to hold on to the camera man's own bag. By that time he was on the ground, face down, being sat on by one of the thugs with another one saying, "Don't hit him, don't hit him". De Rossa did not say, at the Irish Times did, that he was struck to the ground.

I had heard it was a group of We are Change Ireland people.

This had nothing to do with We Are Change Ireland, not their style,they confront but never attack,and De Rossa wasthe one that attacked a camera man first.
    De Rossa is a scumbag anyway.He voted not to respect the vote of the Irish people he claims to represent.
    A yes vote is the end of this country,and a step closer to your children been sent to war for some bull****.The Irish government is selling out our constitution for nice cozy jobs in Europe.The big fella must be turning in his grave.Hey the EU are about to achieve what the "NAZI's" couldn't do.:(

This isn't a discussion on the Lisbon treaty; there's a thread on that topic already.

That said, don't even bother posting that sort of ill-informed tripe on that thread.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    This isn't a discussion on the Lisbon treaty; there's a thread on that topic already.

That said, don't even bother posting that sort of ill-informed tripe on that thread.

What's tripe ??? Oh the fact that we disagree on something,well thats the great thing about free speech,I am free to express my opinion's as I chose,just as much as you have the right to disagree and say I'm talking tripe.

sub-x wrote: »
    De Rossa is a scumbag anyway.He voted not to respect the vote of the Irish people he claims to represent.
    What's tripe ???
    What I just quoted. I recommend reading the Lisbon thread before posting in it again.
    Oh the fact that we disagree on something,well thats the great thing about free speech,I am free to express my opinion's as I chose,just as much as you have the right to disagree and say I'm talking tripe.
    You have no freedom of speech on this website, as you'll find out in a hurry if you break the rules again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

so de rosso, traitor to the country, actually attacked the camera man and was restrained.

AMAZING how that got translated into "objecting" to being filmed by the LAB spin masters. nobody's stupid enough to think this is an assault because 1) SITTING on someone is hardly the best way to assault them and 2) wheres the arrests?

i cant wait to see if the camerman charges de rossa :)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What I just quoted. I recommend reading the Lisbon thread before posting in it again. You have no freedom of speech on this website, as you'll find out in a hurry if you break the rules again.

So I have no freedom of speech ??? I broke the rules ???

Please explain,thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

So I have no freedom of speech ??? I broke the rules ???

Please explain,thanks ;)

Read the charter and understand it before posting on this forum again. You'll be banned the next time you break the rules - and that includes the part about on-thread discussion of the moderation of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Very hypocritical text on that video. Accusing the media of being biased but only showing the part of the video that 'appears' to show De Rossa lunging! It seems relatively clear to me that he was pulled. Look at it closely.

so doesnt exactly match what gilmore said does it? no loud hailer, no insults, POLITE questioning and de rossa makes the first move! arent camera phones great.

cant WAIT for the CCTV footage, in fact we may have to change the title of the thread .:D

Admittedly from that video it doesn't look as if he was attacked. It also doesn't look as if he attacked anyone, and the video doesn't even claim that, it says he fell over. However it's a pretty bad video, hard to see exactly what happened. He was certainly being harassed. There are appropriate forums to ask those sort of questions of politicians, and the street isn't one of them.

better not tell primetime that, they "harassed" people on the street all the time. indeed they do it at peoples homes :)

i'd like to see the rest of the footage myself but its obvious the reason its so crap is the main footage was probably on the camera with the guy de rossa lunged at. right now thats either damaged or in gadai custody. what were seeing here is just cameraphone stuff.

when THAT footage comes out, now that'll be fun :)

Advertisement