Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US cable question

Options
  • 15-04-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I have a battery charger (for a camera) with a US cable, it says 125v on the power cable but the charger has 100-240v input on it. What can i do to use this in Ireland to charge my batteries! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is the power cable a standard "Figure 8" lead, like what's used on stereo's and VCR's etc?

If so, just get an Irish Fig.8 lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Actually i'm fixed up now the lads in the photography forum had previous!!!

I just changed the plug and it was grand, I was worried bout blowin it, hence the advice seeking:)

Thanks tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

kerash wrote: »
    Actually i'm fixed up now the lads in the photography forum had previous!!!

I just changed the plug and it was grand, I was worried bout blowin it, hence the advice seeking:)

Thanks tho!

Just be aware that the greater the voltage the greater the amperage, in other words, the 240vac will draw more current & because the original lead was not designed for that (it is much thinner physically) it may be prone to overheating.

You would be wiser to replace the lead & not just the plug.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Just be aware that the greater the voltage the greater the amperage, in other words, the 240vac will draw more current & because the original lead was not designed for that (it is much thinner physically) it may be prone to overheating.

You would be wiser to replace the lead & not just the plug.

Aye, I will do, wanted to charge up asap so that was the quick solution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

gadgetman496 has it the wrong way round. Current is lower with higher voltage. They are inversely proportional. 13 Amps is nothing in 110V land!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Good old Ohm's Law... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However if it was just a resistive load, it would take twice the current on 220V, FOUR times the power. But a SMPSU uses roughly constant power (Ignores Ohmns Law) so uses half the current.

Ohms Law V= I x R
    Power = V x I = V x V /R (Voltage Squared / resistance)

You do need more insulation on 220 .. 240V cables than some 90V .. 120V cables have.

The 125V is usually a UL safety rating.

Advertisement