Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get into top gears

Options
  • 15-04-2008 2:48pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a random one this, but I have acquired a second-hand racer (been years since I rode one) with the old-school levers on the diagonal bar. I can't get the top cog on the front to engage despite a bit of fiddling and poking. I can't figure out what exactly is preventing the derailleur from moving all the way over to slip the chain over the cog. Any suggestions? (bike shop is always closed on my way home, before anyone suggests it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It could be your limit stop on the front deraileur, which is preventing it from moving there. Alternatively the cables may have stretched - can you get it to go into the top chainwheel by pulling hard on the cable itself rather than using the lever? If this is the case then you need to adjust the cable slack on the derailleur - usually there's an allenkey on the deraileur which you would loosen, pull the cable tight (with the lever in the low-gear position) and retighten the allenbolt.
    If pulling on the cable doesn't get it into top gear it's probably a limit screw - on the top of the derailleur there should be 2 small grub-screws - one stops the derailleur going in to far and dropping the chain into the frame, the other stops it going too far to the outside and dropping the chain off the outside - you need to figure out which is which depending on the derailleur, and adjust it so it lets it go to both chainwheels but not drop the chain.
    hope this helps
    K

Advertisement