Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

42" Panasonic FullHD e999!

• 15-04-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi I was in peats on Parnell St yesterday and saw they're doing some very good deals on Panasonic plasma TVs. I didn't get a chance to take down the model numbers, but the picture quality was stunning out of them (I'm not sure were they Viera?---they were black, the more expensive one has a curve at the bottom).

Anyway the 720p one was 899 and the 1080p one was 999. I asked the sales guy about the resolutions (I've seen some plasmas have WEIRD resolutons like 1024 x 1080 etc...) but he confirmed they were 1280 x 720, and 1920 x 1080 respectively.

Apparently there's replacement models on the way. The quality of the picture on them was just fantastic. I'm raging I didn't hold out to buy one. The black levels were superb and the flicker (that I normally pick up on when watching plasmas) was virtually non-existent.

Anywho, i just thought I'd let you know!

PS I think this is the model, check out [url]www.peats.ie:[/url]

Panasonic TH42PV70EY 42inch VIERA HD Plasma

It's listed as 1299! But it's definitely 999.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    Panasonic TH42PV70EY 42inch VIERA HD Plasma

I have the PZ70 and its a fantastic tv. The picture quality is excellent even without the 1080p signal. Its a great buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

its not full hd its 1024x768, it just has a 1080p engine meaning it can handle a 1080p signal from a PS3 for example, still a decent set, if your looking for a full hd Panny you can get this years new model for €1361 which is a decent price http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=348426

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, as Snake says, the PV70 just has 1080p downscaling. It's the PY70 that has proper 1080p.

That's not to detract from the PV70 though, as it has gotten rave reviews (well, UK PX version).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I can vouch for the PV70 too - excellent TV!!

For a 42inch - not sure you would even notice difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p - unless someone can prove me wrong?

Also saw HD for the first time on it (using a Popcorn Hour HD media player) - and HD really is worth the hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It's also true to state that all 1080p TV's aren't necessarily better than all 1080i TV's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Agreed - there is a lot of cr*p ourt there especially in LCD

When I was looking, I was looking at Plasma as I was worried how sport would look in SD from a Sky box - and had heard that Plasma was the way to go for sport

In Plasma it's generally Pioneer or Panasonic - Pioneer are mad money (and have since stopped producing Plasma)

In LCD - I believe it's Sony Bravia that wins there
    Biro wrote: »
    It's also true to state that all 1080p TV's aren't necessarily better than all 1080i TV's.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Agreed - there is a lot of cr*p ourt there especially in LCD

When I was looking, I was looking at Plasma as I was worried how sport would look in SD from a Sky box - and had heard that Plasma was the way to go for sport

True
    In Plasma it's generally Pioneer or Panasonic - Pioneer are mad money (and have since stopped producing Plasma)

Yes, Pioneer or Panasonic are the only Plasma names worth buying.

No, Pioneer are still making plasmas, from next year they will stop making smaller plasmas (buying them from Panasonic instead), but will continue making the larger ones.
    In LCD - I believe it's Sony Bravia that wins there

Samsung are good also, however watch out with Sony, don't assume they are all great, they have many different lines priced at different rates and with big differences in quality.

Advertisement