Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA in Local Studies. Maynooth.

Options
  • 15-04-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

I thought I might sign up for this in September. I'm out of school 28 years-don't laugh! Got an excellent Leaving at the time and secured a college place but didn't take it up. The usual reasons-fees etc and poor job prospects in Ireland after graduation. What I'm keen to know is anyone elses experience doing a modular degree at night. And would I get any type of grant or tax relief. Home circumstances are 4 kids - 18 15 14 and 4! I work part time too-mornings.

Comments

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I thought I might sign up for this in September. I'm out of school 28 years-don't laugh! Got an excellent Leaving at the time and secured a college place but didn't take it up. The usual reasons-fees etc and poor job prospects in Ireland after graduation. What I'm keen to know is anyone elses experience doing a modular degree at night. And would I get any type of grant or tax relief. Home circumstances are 4 kids - 18 15 14 and 4! I work part time too-mornings.

Hi Lizzykins!

I can't help you out with bits about your seeking experience of doing a modular degree at night, but I hope to help you with the fees/grants thing!

Grants wise - grants are, at the moment, for full-time students only. Part-time students can avail of other funding such as tax relief on the fees, that type of thing. There's a few links in my signature which might give you some starter information on all this and on other areas which you might look at for funding. The Dept. of Education recently launched http://www.studentfinance.ie/ which would be a good place to start.

Apart from that if you've any questions feel free to raise them here and I'm sure someone will answer them!

Dónal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I thought I might sign up for this in September. I'm out of school 28 years-don't laugh!

Why on Earth would we laugh?

I regularly lecture people in a similar situation to you. Actually, it can be a bit intimidating for me when I am the youngest in the classroom, and I'm the one giving the class. :D

I find the older the student, the more willing they are to learn. Also, the more willing they are to interact. There is nothing more frustrating as a lecturer than a group of students who just sit there and absorb every single word you say without question. I find those that are more willing to question me are that bit older.

So, I would say go for it. It can only be a rewarding exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lizzykins, a while back someone else on this forum asked about going back to college as an adult, and what age was "too old", and I pointed out the following two people ...
    Within the last three years, NUIM have graduated ...

... a guy with his PhD at the age of 75, having started his BA at 66 when he retired

... a woman who completed her degree (part-time) at the age of 84, and who was only prevented by continuing to postgraduate study by ill health ...
    Both of those did the part-time BA (Local Studies) though I think they did it on the Kilkenny campus of NUI Maynooth, rather than on the main campus in Maynooth itself.

Go for it, and above all enjoy it!

Advertisement