Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick business related Q

Options
  • 15-04-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

This may be a pretty silly question but I have never studied business before and know very little on the subject.
    Basically I'm interested in finding out about where retailers can buy their goods from. Obviously wholesale makes the most sense but what if a retailer was to buy from another retailer in the same business? Take for example, if I were to set up a shop specializing in musical equipment and would like to source my goods online from a European online store (as they have very cheap prices because they can afford to bulk buy in vast quantities) Would It be legal to re-sell their stock. Would they be likely to agree to such a contract? Would a contract be needed?
    Again, sorry if this is an idiotic question, please go easy on me:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

In a number of retail markets, many smaller shops buy from a large retailer. The music retailer you speak of will most likely agree to sell to you, providing; by selling to you it will not have a negative impact on their own sales in general, agreement to certain warrenty issues (i.e. what happens if you sell an amp and the customer brings it back to you a week later), and agreement of your discount of selling price. The ideal situation is to buy direct from the national distributor, but that has its own problems for a start up i.e. a large first order may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Another thing, many manufacturers will not allow products to be sold by third party, "unauthorised" retailers. It varies from company to company, but many manufacturers stipulate such in their terms of business with the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Another thing, many manufacturers will not allow products to be sold by third party, "unauthorised" retailers. It varies from company to company, but many manufacturers stipulate such in their terms of business with the retailer.

Ah, never thought of that. I would imagine that's the case with a lot of big brands that want to maintain a strong trustworthy corporate image.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Hi,
    Why not resell items via E-bay or Amazon? Use your suppliers lead times + 2 or 3 days as your delivery time!

Advertisement