Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tale of a Mobile with HSDPA and a LAN with limited access

Options
  • 15-04-2008 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

So I plug the mobile into the PC, and lo and behold it creates a "Local Area Connection", named "Sony Ericsson Device 117 USB Ethernet Emulation (NDIS 5)".

So far so good. And yes, both connections still work - separately. If I enable the normal Local Area Connection and disable the phone Connection, I'm on the company LAN, able to access all the usual Network drives, the local Intranet, and even a little bit of Internet. But the nannies are busy. And the proxy often blocks access. And trust me: I'm not the sort who'd go surfing naughty sites. Sometimes the most innocuous stuff gets blocked. PLUS pretty much all the ports, so setting up a POP3 connection to a personal mail box is impossible. It's irritating.

If I disable the company connection and enable the phone, it's happy days on the Internet. It's not the fastest in the world, but all ports work and I'm not restricted in what I can view. But of course all Network access is gone and I cannot access the local Intranet.

If only I could activate both at once, eh? Well, in fact, I can. And both connect happily. But the behaviour then becomes rather erratic. I can't see the Network. Or it still browses through the network Proxy. Or not at all. It varies a bit. As soon as I disable one of the connection, behaviour reverts back to what one would expect for the remaining active connection.

So is there anything I can do so I can have both connections active simultaneously and get the best of both worlds, i.e. unrestricted internet access, and normal intranet and local area access.

Please don't assume I'm burdened with knowledge. In fact I'm a total n00b in this area. From what I've tried to find out so far I am starting to think that the answer may lie in twiddling with my routing. But I don't even know what routing IS!?

Cheers!:o

Advertisement