Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband piece on The Last word thie evening

Options
  • 15-04-2008 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard the start of The Last Word on TodayFM and there'll be a piece on eircom and broadband. The blurb mentioned "eircom prepared to offer super fast broadband but only if the government changes it's regulation"

Whatever "super fast" means will be interesting, and what changes to a largely unregulated sector, even more so. eircom have the run of things as it is.

Don't know what time it'll be on at, but am listening in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Check out this article on Electric News for a bit more info - http://www.enn.ie/article/10124214.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

It is understood the telco said it can provide half the population with speeds of up to 25Mbps within seven years if the Government agrees to change the way the company is regulated.

ffs the scandinavians and the japs will have the grid by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kriebie

Half the population. Let me guess ... Dublin City? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

+1 it seems to work the same way as the cancer services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Basically they want to self-regulate, so they can set their own prices for wholesale and line rental, etc. Shane Ross seems less then impressed with it all, which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Kriebie wrote: »

afraid to admit it but yeah i reckon thats where all the action is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Kriebie wrote: »

Spot on. Maybe Cork/Limerick/Galway aswell so they can brag about looking the country folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Spot on. Maybe Cork/Limerick/Galway aswell so they can brag about looking the country folk.

No Waterford :(:(:(:(:( ??? Why do we always get left out :(:(:( .

Anyone listen to the show?? Was it any good ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

f**k Eircom, they should come up with a sweet handout deal( which they must do whether its part ownership or whatever ) and put it out for tender - beauty contest style

Eircom are terrible for this country and theyre destroying our communication infrastructure via enforced bottlenecks and crap service. FFS i get 64kbps upload and 3mbps download and its useless( click on something, then another and they both hang ), online gaming isint even worth trying since i moved

I would eat my own hair before allowing the government to re-monopolise our infrastructure to a company owned by Venture Capitalists who live in Australia and dont give a $hit about us only that we keep making them money. F**k it, id even donate 1000euro to a company to do it right. I hate Eircom, whether its how they handle their phonelines or create havoc in the broadband industry here, it sux. Id even go so far as if it was out to tender calling a referendum on it. We should have a say in something that is going to have more and more of an affect on our personal lives and our families in the next 30 years and from then on

Its our tax money that Eircom want to get their hands on, they can fcuk off

I hate my country for its broadband infrastructure, i really do

Advertisement