Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How big is the map?

• 15-04-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭

Has it been revealed just how big the map is supposed to be altogether?

I was a fan of the San Andreas size + 3 cities/countryside, but I think a map that size with just one city would be pretty boring. But if it's the same size as gta3 or vice city then it'd just be far too small.

I'm guessing somewhere in between, leaning towards the smaller end of the scale. Has there been any talk of how long it will take to get around? I'd take anything I read with a pinch of salt though, as I remember reading it'd take at least 30 minutes to get from on side of the SA map to the other... and that was from a well respected games site like ign I think.

Just for any debate about what size the map should be. Small = boring. Everything becomes too familiar far too quickly and there's just not enough area to explore (Vice City). Big, I know some people have a problem with but seeing as you can call a taxi on your phone and skip the trip then I don't think people who prefer a smaller map can complain. If they want to make future GTA games even bigger with multiple cities again then I'd be for it, with instant taxi rides to the airport, and an instant flight to any city you'd want to get to. Wouldn't take too long to get around at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Well apparently the maps going to be smaller than San Andreas but I'm not sure how long the game will take to get around, but there is meant to be upto 100 hours of gameplay in there and that doesn't mean when you choose to do your thing.

Since RockStar said a long time ago that the map would be smaller than SA I have always thought that quite a lot more time will be spent on foot in this GTA than any other. The city, which is split into 4 or 5 districts I think will be much, much more detailed than SA which I personally welcome. The graphics look great and I'm sure theres is more than enough driving to do.

Some of the small clips released of Niko sprinting off, running down stairs and jumping have impressed me alot, then there is the new combat system which should make being on foot more fun this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The map is bigger than Vice City and GTA 111 but smaller than San Andreas.

I was also a fan of the countryside but the idea of a complete urban setting with great detail has really grown on me.

Honestly the level of exploration in this game will be amazing...I predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you've got to remember central park is in the game so that will satisify your needs for country side, they could hardly tag on a countryside to LC considering it's modelled on NYC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

The maps were knockin around the net for a while. The city looks huge, i think it will be perfect. Country side wasn't as fun as it could of been in SA.
    No cows :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I too loved SA, it was just the sheer vastness and diversity. You could go ape sh1t with your hommies downtown in LA, or skydive off a mountain. Gamble in vegas, or go quadding in the countryside. Trick out your ride in San Fran, or take the fighter jet screaming over the water at hoover dam. So many possibilities. I loved hittin those open desert roads blaring Rod Stewart!

However, I am also looking forward to GTA 4 as it too seems vast (but more horizontal) and offering endless things to do. The fact that it will include Jersey doesn't rule out some sort of countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

I think the biger the better. I loved San Andreas but was kind of dissappointed that when I drove a motorbike at full speed it took like two minues to get from LS to LV and the game clocked it at like 2km! Still what an experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Obviously I'd rather greater detail and depth to the game as a whole rather than a big map with nothing to do. I was just wondering if anybody's mentioned anything about how long it takes to get around. Haven't seen anything about it myself. I'd be expecting something maybe 2-3 times the size of Los Santos.

The first next gen gta was always going to be with a smaller map and back to one city, making it like sa would have taken too long and would have held other aspects of the game back. Hopefully they can perfect the game experience in this one, and then go for a really vast game area in the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/04/17/gta-iv-dlc-on-xbox-360-will-include-new-city/
    Boston (dbTechno) - According to reports from the Future Publishing’s CVG GTA IV magazine, the new Grand Theft Auto IV downloadable content on the Xbox 360 could greatly expand the game. The rumors running rampant right now are that the exclusive Xbox 360 DLC for GTA IV will include a brand new city for the game.

Future Publishing put out their CVG GTA IV special, with the magazine focusing in on the biggest gaming release of the year on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

CVG states that the downloadable content coming to the Xbox 360 version will be as big as the entire releases of GTA: Vice City and GTA: San Andreas.

This equates to an entirely new city being added to the Xbox 360 version of GTA IV.

The magazine stated “GTA IV is set to completely redefine the idea with expansions that are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were to GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities.”

“GTA IV’s Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited.”

If its true then we'll have one massive map
    Imagine how many gigs that would take up on a 20gb hdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

1/2 GB?

Seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

ciano1 wrote: »
    http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/04/17/gta-iv-dlc-on-xbox-360-will-include-new-city/

If its true then we'll have one massive map
    Imagine how many gigs that would take up on a 20gb hdd

I think this + this need to be taken, in large doses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I really really really doubt a massive map would be possible DLC. Although ye never know..would be amazing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Trapattoni

This is exciting - i remember the days of the first GTA (overhead)

Just prebooked my GTA4 on gamesnash - buying the 360 next week and when i Arrive home from Manchester after the Barcelona game I will have the day off to explore the city for myself..no more rumours!

Has it been revealed just how big the map is supposed to be altogether?

I was a fan of the San Andreas size + 3 cities/countryside, but I think a map that size with just one city would be pretty boring. But if it's the same size as gta3 or vice city then it'd just be far too small.

I'm guessing somewhere in between, leaning towards the smaller end of the scale. Has there been any talk of how long it will take to get around? I'd take anything I read with a pinch of salt though, as I remember reading it'd take at least 30 minutes to get from on side of the SA map to the other... and that was from a well respected games site like ign I think.

Just for any debate about what size the map should be. Small = boring. Everything becomes too familiar far too quickly and there's just not enough area to explore (Vice City). Big, I know some people have a problem with but seeing as you can call a taxi on your phone and skip the trip then I don't think people who prefer a smaller map can complain. If they want to make future GTA games even bigger with multiple cities again then I'd be for it, with instant taxi rides to the airport, and an instant flight to any city you'd want to get to. Wouldn't take too long to get around at all.

There was no way it would take you a half hour to drive from one side to the other, and that's including anyway possible. maybe 7-8 mins?, but thats going the fastest way and top speed in a car, and i still feel im been generous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Right, read somewhere that it's roughly 3 times the size of the GTA 3 version of Liberty City. That's probably about the minimum I was expecting. Should be big enough though.

Advertisement