Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New vrt and Car tax regime

Options
  • 15-04-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Im dissapointed with the recent change to the proposed system. this is a change from the way i understood things to be from a few months ago.

i thought that a used car imported from the Uk of any age would be taxed under the new CO2 scheme.. Based on this i had been looking at bringing over an 02/03 Skodia Fabia 1.9 Tdi Estate, 60mpg and approx. €150 tax based on the new system.

Now though it seems that i cannot benefit from the new regime so i will continue to drive my 'gas guzzling' 2 litre petrol Subaru Foreseter!

As already said, not many people have the money for a new '08 car.

Im very dissapointed with this shift.

Has all this come about due to pressure from irish car dealers? As they would have lost out if a lot of people imported cars from the Uk. Even though a lot of cars are already imported from the Uk.

Typical Ireland...!

So as it stands very few cars will be operating under the new scheme and the old fleet of existing cars will remain on our roads for much longer....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Has there been a recent change to the original proposal? i.e. any car registered after July 08 will have the new VRT and tax charges as long as the necessary CO2 figures are offically available for pre July 08 cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Read the sticky on it, you will get the lower VRT rate on importing it but will be taxed the old way. I too am pi$$ed off about it, especially in the underhand way it was done in the initial announcement he said it was going to also include road tax, then on the sly he changed his mind a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The way it was done was underhand, and the information being given out was poor and contradictory at best. However, I do think leaving pre 08 imported cars on the old cc based tax system is the fairer option, otherwise for instance if I replaced my 00 Alfa 1.8 with an imported one next year of the same age, the road tax would be 1000E a year due to its relatively high emissions.

The fairest system would be to let people opt into a CO2 based tax system for older cars if certs are available and the tax is cheaper then the CC model(as it is on many diesels). Then older performance cars like EVO's etc could remain on the CC system. However the admin behind such a system would be crazy I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

ya totally underhand, i agree.

totally goes against the point. wud have brought in a greener car but not now as no advantage....

was this changed due to pressure from industry?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jesus, thats madding. I never copped that, was not keeping full track on developements but that is shocking that they have now changed that!
    What incentive is it for people to change their pre 08 guzzlers, none!!! Idiots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

I'm fecking delighted, the huge pool of diverse performance cars that UK and Japan have to offer is still affoardable to the masses :D:D

now what next for me when I replace the Coupe 20VT?
    Maserati 3200GT?
    VX220 Turbo?
    Lotus Elise?
    TVR Tuscan?

the choices the choices...........

what better way to use up the worlds oil resourses before they run out?? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

well it would kill the Irish second hand trade, why would people buy a Irish 00 car when if they buy an UK 00 car they will get it for cheaper and pay less Motor tax. It would end up that people wouldn't be able to sell their old cars.

but this should have been determined before the budget and not as an after though.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

So as it stands very few cars will be operating under the new scheme and the old fleet of existing cars will remain on our roads for much longer....

One could argue that keeping older cars on the road for as long as possible IS the greener choice because all the materials and energy consumed in making a new car and disposing and recycling the old car is more harmful. Can't prove that but you are correct in your point about how the gov. has approached this whole CO2 business.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

did anybody read the motoring article in the weekend supplement of last Saturday's Irish Independent, the motoring correspondent also got it wrong i.e. imports getting the co2 based road tax.

So much for his research :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Read the sticky on it, you will get the lower VRT rate on importing it but will be taxed the old way. I too am pi$$ed off about it, especially in the underhand way it was done in the initial announcement he said it was going to also include road tax, then on the sly he changed his mind a couple of months ago.
    + 1
    Underhand, but then are you really that suprised? I had a feeling they didn't do their research correctly a few months back and they would look for more revenue to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

yop wrote: »
    Jesus, thats madding... was not keeping full track on developements

Feck. Hadn't been keeping track of the latest myself. There goes any thoughts about importing a 530d.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

siralfalot wrote: »
    I'm fecking delighted, the huge pool of diverse performance cars that UK and Japan have to offer is still affoardable to the masses :D:D

now what next for me when I replace the Coupe 20VT?
    Maserati 3200GT?
    VX220 Turbo?
    Lotus Elise?
    TVR Tuscan?

the choices the choices...........

what better way to use up the worlds oil resourses before they run out?? ;):D

Only drawback of this is that if the imported car has greater then 225g CO2 it will automatically go to the max annual road tax of €2000 per annum (no matter what year the car is). According to the SIMI website:

Q:
    I am thinking of buying an imported used
    car after July, how will the new Road Tax
    system affect me?

A: Imported cars first registered in previous country before
    the 1st January 2008 will be Road Taxed at current rates
    except those with emissions more over 225g/km which will
    be taxed on a CO2 basis (currently €2,000).

Talk about Gormless having it both ways :rolleyes:

Edit: Just read on another thread that this isn't true...Gormless would want to clarify the situation on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Invincible

ya totally underhand, i agree.

totally goes against the point. wud have brought in a greener car but not now as no advantage....

was this changed due to pressure from industry?

As from what I heard,SIMI put pressure on the Goverment,so the dealers would'nt be left with a forecourt full of second hand's,as the incentive was enticing to head north.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

last Saturday's Irish Independent, the motoring correspondent also got it wrong i.e. imports getting the co2 based road tax.

I just heard this morning about a guy that rang the revenue and was told if you produce a valid CO2 cert. you can get the new tax rate on a used import. Typical Irish law change : clear as mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

I've been meaning to put up a question on this topic for a bit on this forum, but never got around to it. Reason being that the original changes were very clear pre July '08 old system, post July '08 new system. Then people started talking about imports of cars after July that were originally registered before July and again it was quite clear anything registered in Ireland for the first time post July '08 regardless of when it was first registered elsewhere (assuming CO2 info is published) is on the new system. Easy.

Then...the Irish Times published an article saying the Gormley was having a rethink because it was affecting current sales and would affect 2 '08 cars one from June, one from July sitting side by side on a dealers forecourt in the future. He decided that Jan 08 - Jun 08 people could choose their system. (which obviously only moves to problem it doesn't solve it)

Then in discussions about this I heard a chap from SIMI on two radio shows state that these changes also would mean that cars imported after July but first registered before 08 would be on the old motor tax system, but new VRT system. Since then I have seen this information stated as fact on this forum continuously, but have never heard it from any source whatsoever other than this forum and SIMI. While other sources, such as the Irish Independent (just below Wikipedia in my opinion for reliability) usually have conflicting info.

So back to that question - can some of the folks who are certain that cars imported after July, but first registered abroad pre 08 will have the existing motor tax system applied let us know where they heard it, or pop up a link other than SIMI. I had a feeling at the time that this was SIMI trying to mount a PR campaign to get this changed rather than them having any basis for suggesting it would be the case, so would love to know if someone has a definitive source.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

DukeDredd wrote: »

Gormless would want to clarify the situation on this.
    +1
    so many theorys on what he's thinking ........... is it going to stay the way its now said or is it still up for change:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I just heard this morning about a guy that rang the revenue and was told if you produce a valid CO2 cert. you can get the new tax rate on a used import. Typical Irish law change : clear as mud.

Was going to get a diesel car from the uk after july before i started reading this thread, started reconsidering as i read about the changes and now dont know wtf is going on.

confusion reigns....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness to him, Gormley has clarified his position: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

The Irish Yimes got it wrong yesterday also: Government criticised over VRT information

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dermo123 wrote: »
    One could argue that keeping older cars on the road for as long as possible IS the greener choice because all the materials and energy consumed in making a new car and disposing and recycling the old car is more harmful. Can't prove that but you are correct in your point about how the gov. has approached this whole CO2 business.
    The government will look at carbon emissions from an Irish PoV and not a global one. The cars aren't made here so the carbon footprint from manufacturing doesn't affect us.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

I too am dissapointed about the bactracking on taxation of pre 08 imports. I even went so far as to book flights to London a while back, so I could scout around for a nice used Honda Accord - may have to change my plans now.

But isn't this change only going to push the problem out for a few years? Say for example in the year 2012, I am planning on changing my car, (take the example of the Honda Accord 2.2diesel)- I have a choice between car "A" 1st registered in 2007 and car "B" 1st registered in 2008 - it's obvious which car I'll pick - what will happen to all the 2nd hand 2007 cars then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement