Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon wheel brake block requirements

Options
  • 15-04-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Bought a set of Carbon 50mm aero rim wheels
    Also have a centaur groupset on the way.

Can I use the standard brake blocks on the carbon wheels or will I need
    special ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

special ones, not that pricey.

Normal ones will melt and make sh!te of the rims.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, as Tunney said, you need special ones. Campagnolo make their own. You could also try Swiss Stop Yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Regular pads will destroy your rims. You need Carbon specific. Heres the bad news, you can get cheaper Shimano, Equinox, Corima pads etc.. all of which are cork based and stop you fine in the dry. In the wet, they are not very good. Dangerous in fact.

Swiss Stop Yellow are the only pad I trust for carbon wheels in wet and dry. They are expensive, but worth EVERY SINGLE penny. They are made by Reynolds, the cheapest I have seen them is on ChainReaction Cycles for 37 euro. Don't skimp on pads, get the best otherwise you will be sweeping up the remains of your expensive bike off the side of some bumpy country road !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Swiss Stop Yellow are the only pad I trust for carbon wheels in wet and dry.

I have a set of these, which came with the Zero Gravitys, that I'm saving for if or when I get carbon wheels. I've heard a few people say they're great but leave a yellow residue on your rims. Does that happen with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No, although I do know some people who claim that it has left a tiny residue on theirs when new (easily wiped off). For me though, no problems. Seems to depend on the rim. Mine are Planet X, another lad I know is running them on Corima's with no residue either. I also ride Cosmic Carbon's largely for their metal brake surface and the fact that I had lost faith in the Planet X's with the older brake blocks. But now I feel comfortable on them again.

To be honest, I'd put up with a little yellow on my rims in order to ensure that I retain a full complement of skin on my thighs on rainy days !

• Advertisement
Advertisement