Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Ibood thread [Post your offers here!]

• 15-04-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Bargain or not?
    I like the fact that it will fit in your pocket but the price (€ 79,95) is not that enticing to me. Any thoughts on this price for this model?

Packard Bell Silver 2.5 inch External HDD 250 GB
    Brand: Packard Bell
    Type: ‘Silver’ 250 GB
    Hard disc: 2.5 inch Serial ATA hard disc
    Buffer speed: 8 MB
    Rotation speed: 5400 RPM
    Connection: USB 2.0 High Speed (maximum 480 Mbit/sec) with Powersave technology (automatic switch-off when inactive)
    Power connection: via USB
    Suitable for: Win ME / 2000 / XP and Vista / Mac 9.X & 10.X
    Includes: High Speed USB cable / Packard Bell Software Suite for back-ups / synchronising and archiving
    Dimensions: 132 x 78 x 12 mm
    Weight: 195 gram
    Warranty: 2 years

Price : € 79,95

More Information
    250 GB in a trouser pocket? That’s music to the ears of most laptop and pc users! The 2.5 inch Packard Bell ‘Silver’ portable hard disc has a buffer speed of 8Mb and a rotation speed of 5400 RPM which makes it extremely fast to back up your hard disc. It also makes it very convenient to carry data like your films, photos, MP3s or other documents to your friend’s place or to your work. This easy-to-carry Packard Bell weighs less than 200 grams and requires just one USB port connection! It also comes with a software that enables quick backup, synchronisation or archiving of all your data. From now on, you only need 1 super small hard disc to carry all your important documents, photographs and films - the Packard Bell ‘Silver’ 250 GB portable!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

It's Packard Smell though...any drive ive seen from them has had piss poor transfer rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Maplin have something very similar (Maxtor Brand) 250GB External HD for €82.49 (Irish store price). Thats about €10 cheaper as you have no postage. See http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223785&source=1&DOY=15m4 (web price in Sterling, its €82.49 in store).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Genghis wrote: »
    Maplin have something very similar (Maxtor Brand) 250GB External HD for €82.49 (Irish store price). Thats about €10 cheaper as you have no postage. See http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223785&source=1&DOY=15m4 (web price in Sterling, its €82.49 in store).

That's not a 2.5" drive though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

...and it weighs 1000 grams! Not exacly comparing like with like. Point taken tho', a search around should/could get you better value than this ibood one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dabs have a "Formac" one, 160Gb for €68.50 including delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In all fairness- the cheapest you'll get a 2.5" 250Gb SATA bare drive for is over €70 (plus shipping) so you're getting an external enclosure for a couple of Euro. Data transfer rates will never be brilliant- its a 5400RPM drive, your seek will probably be around 15ms. 200 grammes is reasonable enough (the drive itself is probably around 100grms, the case is the other 100- so it should be reasonably robust). If you have a colleague or friend who'll order one with you- you can share the €12 delivery charge.

Its a reasonable offer, not brilliant, but reasonable enough. I'd really like to know the make and model of the internal drive used before I bought one (as I may whack it into a laptop in lieu of a smaller capacity drive).

I'd say go for it- you won't get like for like in a bricks and mortar store in Dublin (or online) at this price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Would it be a bad idea to have a thread for Ibood.

Maybe post in it for delivery times ,new offers ,reviews etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Not a bad idea. After all, there is an Ibood thread started here a good few times every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You just have, consider this thee official Ibood thread with offers, delivery times, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Got an packard bell external 2.5" media player drive before and the drive inside was a seagate(ide). Would be interesting to know if they have a standard brand they use, or do they just go with what they can get cheapest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Maybe it will work better than I imagine but I don't really think having a single thread for all iBOOD offers is the best way to alert people to bargains. I'd rather know what was on offer from the thread title rather than having to trawl back through peoples' comments to find the offer of the day.

If we do continue with this official thread, perhaps its title should be altered to give newbs some idea that these are limited-time bargains. Perhaps something along the lines of:

"Official iBOOD Thread [Post Your 24-hour Offers Here!]"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Maybe when people post in the thread ,they can title it .
    So the reference is in the title ,for the product.

Edit , Maybe only title a reply if it's different to previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

311 wrote: »
    Maybe when people post in the thread ,they can title it .
    So the reference is in the title ,for the product.
    That sounds good - I didn't know moderators could give general users the right to alter someone else's thread title.

Bully!

What is the story with orders "In Processing"?
    I ordered a couple of sticks of 2Gb laptop RAM last month (I think it was the 13/03/08) and its still listed in my orders as "In Processing". I've gotten a few nice odds and ends from them previously- but the dispatch times are totally off the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I would agree with you on that, i have still 3 orders 'In processing' which have been delivered for over 2 weeks! Some from months back still say 'In transit' I got the impression that they package on certain days, like wait for a few days of deals and then do them all at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

well do they not come from diifferent factories all over europe,maybe they all handle deliveries differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Just ordered one of these and now im worried about the language layout of the keyboard. I've emailed them to ask and am hoping for an answer back before the order is shipped.

used my birthday voucher for free delivery so i hope it works out....

€70 for this seems like a great price.

https://www.ibood.com/site/eu/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=1507

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Merged into iBOOD thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Looks good alright might want to check this thread out too though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055275783.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Bambaata

it seems a great price?! its 140 odd on komplett.ie what the story with coupons? how do i go about getting one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

you have to keep exercising your wrist anyway when you use a comp for long periods
    ibooder quote :D

Bambaata wrote: »
    what the story with coupons? how do i go about getting one?

Errr- the coupons are discount codes for use when ordering a computer system from Dell (who include the Logitech set as an optional accessory). They are not a discount on buying the Logitech desktop sys on its own.......

Just ordered one of these and now im worried about the language layout of the keyboard.

Its a regular international QWERTY keyboard- some of the characters will be transposed though (for example the "quotation" button will be next to the right shift key, the at (@) button will be over the number 2 (you get it with a cntrl+2) The parenthesis buttons are transposed with the simple brackets and a few other oddities.

Its not difficult getting used to- esp as the keys themselves are standard qwerty.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭Bambaata

smccarrick wrote: »
    Errr- the coupons are discount codes for use when ordering a computer system from Dell (who include the Logitech set as an optional accessory). They are not a discount on buying the Logitech desktop sys on its own.......
    Sorry i know what they are andwhat they do but how do i get ibood ones? There's a section when buying where you input any coupon you may have but i'm unsure as to how i'd get one from ibood. Ive used the Dell ones many times ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Just ordered one of these and now im worried about the language layout of the keyboard. I've emailed them to ask and am hoping for an answer back before the order is shipped.

You should be fine - it says international keyboard layout in the spec and the picture shows a non-US keyboard layout.

I bought the bluetooth equivalent of that keyboard and mouse last year on Ebay but I made the mistake of not checking the country and I ended up with a US keyboard. It is fine except for the Euro key. The only complaint I have is that the contacts on the mouse wear out over time and it is fiddly getting it to sit right in the charger to charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry i know what they are andwhat they do but how do i get ibood ones? There's a section when buying where you input any coupon you may have but i'm unsure as to how i'd get one from ibood. Ive used the Dell ones many times ;-)

register for an account with your birthday today/tomorrow and they will send a free shipping (~e13) coupon. there was a thread on it a few days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I do have the mouse which is included in this set.
    It does jump all over the screen every now and then but the extra buttons it has makes up for it.
    Also no more batteries for this mouse makes it very handy for me because with my wireless mouse i had before i always ended up with empty batteries at moments you just can not get new ones or have spare rechargeables available.

On another note, i saw quite a few people wondering about orders that are still in process.
    I did browse the dutch ibood-forum on iobood and saw Dutch people getting answers straight on from admins. The dutch forum seems to be moderated and questions are being answered by admins.
    Maybe post your questions there and you ll get answers. Now if they accept english laguage in that forum remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

It's the 'international' keyboard layout - different from the UK/Ireland QWERTY keyboard layout and is, essentially, the American QWERTY keyboard layout as far as I'm concerned. (I have the 'international' Logitech G15 with the '@' above the 2 and the misplaced '\' key - amongst other features). It's fine for everyday use, gaming and the like, though it can take a bit of getting used to if you program.

I'm seriously considering getting this set myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Called them, found out it US-International = cancelled the order. They are great over the phone.... God bless free calls :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

sharp01Large.jpg

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/iboodSpecs.php

Sharp Aquos 37 inch HD Ready Widescreen TV - LC37AD5E

€599 + usual 12.50 ibood delivery.

Obviously it's not FullHD at only 1366 x 768. Also, it lacks a dynamic back light for some reason (this lets LCDs display dark scenes better).

The only proper review I could find was for the 32" model (at trustedreviews) which mentions the on screen menu being a bit of a disaster, but likes the 32" for the price. Other reviews are pretty much just specs type reviews (see retrevo).

Price wise it does seem to have an edge (pricerunner) but not a massive one. Delivery at 12.50 would probably be better than most UK sites, although the downside is that you'll have to deal with ibood if something goes wrong. I didn't look very far into the price side of things to be honest.

All in all it seems like it could be good if you're after a TV in this bracket, but it's not what I'm looking for.

I hate this thread i miss a new one each day, bet the number of ibood related posts has declined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I hate this thread i miss a new one each day, bet the number of ibood related posts has declined
    Subscribe to the e-mail updates, or the thread so.

I prefer this system to be honest.

sorry i meant i miss having a new thread every day dont worry i am always refreshing the ibood page at 10:59 waiting for todays product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Lads, I seen this over on the Ibood site. A Nextbase media station.

Has anyone got one of these, I've been on the lookout for a set of speakers for my ipod and am tempted to give this one a go.

nextbase01big.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

user manual here: http://www.nextbase-europe.com/en/products/15/105/Media22_white.html

Video out may not work with recent ipods tho. From the ibood forum:
    just read this on another site? can anyone fill me in?

"Please Note: Video Output may not function for any iPods purchased after July 2007 due a change in specification by Apple."

from this site: http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/nextbase_media_ 22.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Im raging I missed this. Would have been great for the bedroom. Could have streamed movies/music from the PC downstairs and display them on the TV. Costs around £300 on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

I got one :)
    Happy days. It weighs 9Kg it must be good.
    I hope to get this just when my exams are over in about 3 weeks time... but being Ibood I will not see it till next year!
    I wonder if my laptop can stream to it via blue tooth tho..?
    I've never had any luck with btooth and my laptop xp just doesnt do bluetooth I reckon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I got one too Yahoo...

It will be handy for summer BBq's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

kc66 wrote: »
    Im raging I missed this. Would have been great for the bedroom. Could have streamed movies/music from the PC downstairs and display them on the TV. Costs around £300 on other sites.

me too. I love this and missed to get one. :o

Did anyone order the Trekstore 400Gb hard-drives from Friday?
    I'm just looking at the add trying to figure are the 8 or 16Mb cache (it says 8 in one place 16 in another......)
    EUR69 was reasonable enough (esp. as I had a free shipping voucher). Probably should have saved it up for something massive.

Also- I rang them and they said they do there shipping here with DHL now, that they don't use GLS anymore. Is this correct. I'd sooner have a frontal lobe lobatomy than get more stuff via GLS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Just looking at the toolset they have on it today. Anyone heard of Einhall/know if they're any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Tried to order this but pay page says"invalid expiry date" on my card even though I have the card in front of me.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Did anyone order the Trekstore 400Gb hard-drives from Friday?
    I'm just looking at the add trying to figure are the 8 or 16Mb cache (it says 8 in one place 16 in another......)
    EUR69 was reasonable enough (esp. as I had a free shipping voucher). Probably should have saved it up for something massive.

Also- I rang them and they said they do there shipping here with DHL now, that they don't use GLS anymore. Is this correct. I'd sooner have a frontal lobe lobatomy than get more stuff via GLS.

GLS delivered my wireless NAS 500gb HDD on Friday so doesn't appear to be correct.

GLS delivered my wireless NAS 500gb HDD on Friday so doesn't appear to be correct.

Bollocks. I think most people here have heard my Komplett/GLS and the Jehovah's Witnesses story before..... How does such an inept courier company manage to remain in business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I seem to remember that one, they got them to sign for it or something?

quarryman wrote: »
    I seem to remember that one, they got them to sign for it or something?

Even delivered it to their house, because "they seemed honest". Three days later they popped round to tell me they had 3 grand of computer components in two large boxes sitting in the middle of their living room, and would be grateful if I would collect it. They were lucky I opened the door, when I saw the black suits with the name tags. They did help me carry the stuff home though...... Gah!!!!

Edit: I had specified my work address for the components- and rang Komplett to confirm they had the right address on the order (I have multiple addresses registered with them). They assured me that it was correct and in order. Liars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

(esp. as I had a free shipping voucher). Probably should have saved it up for something massive.

As the postage is the same no matter what, you're surely better getting something small with the shipping voucher. I got the 4Gb memory stick for around 11 euro. Saved the €12.50 on postage.

Bollocks. I think most people here have heard my Komplett/GLS and the Jehovah's Witnesses story before..... How does such an inept courier company manage to remain in business?

Jesus what do you think you are? some sort of celebrity, how the fuck do you expect most people to know a story about you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

'twas on Liveline and in The Star. Even The Watchtower had a piece. Don't you get the news where you live?
    Jesus what do you think you are? some sort of celebrity, how the fuck do you expect most people to know a story about you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

He did say most people here. I assume this means that this has been discussed on previous threads on this forum and most regulars would have read it...

So I think it is fair enough... no need to be so touchy imo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement