Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lilt.......a taste of the tropics!!

• 15-04-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've just been reminising with some buddies about the good old days and one piont that stood out is that Lilt is no way as popular now as it used to be or it doesn't seem so nehoo!

We were split half and half over this issue, either lovong it still or consigning it to the past, so what do ye think....
    is it too retro and tacky (as some said..grrrrr!!) or does it bring the sound of rolling waves to your ears?:cool:.................you can prob guess which side of the fence I'm sitting on:p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lilt-out-of-a-can kicked Lilt-out-of-a-bottle's ass. I haven't had Lilt in years, but I used love it! It does remind me of summer, and I'd be really sad if they took it off the market, but I wouldn't rush to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

seriously waaaaaay too sweet.

like drinking fructose

(ps, what is wrong with me that i think Faith's avatar is cute!! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

Lilt rocks, but it has to be the exact right temperature, served at exactly the right moment of thirstyness. I would guess that there is an equation for the perfect moment to serve it, but alas, I am too dumb to know it.

Its also one of the stickiest substances known to man once it spills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They have cans of it in the vending machine in work, so it must be still popular. I better check the best before next time I buy one.

Which is about once a fortnight.

"Here comes the Lilt man, li-ilt
    Lilt, with a totally tropical ta-aste
    (pineappple and grapefruit)"

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

wow cans have come a long way since the time of that ad. so rigid.

Lilt isn't really for me. every once in a while on a scorching day I'd have a can but not during the wet season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I havent had lilt in a while, but the when it's drunk at thright temperature makes it oh so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

DesF wrote: »

The guy at the end doesn't have a clue how to drink from a can.

But yes, I haven't had lilt in ages but it's delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

Have they changed it though? bought a bottle the last day and its made with sugar and artificial sweeteners didn't think it was always like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This thread must be subtle viral marketing because I bought a can today. Delicious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahhh lilt used to be very delicous but somewhere along the way they totally changed the flavour and look of the thing. I remember at one point in the 90's it was almost grey in colour. It certainly doesn't have the flavour that it used too. Someone told me they had to change the recipe because it was full of nasty additives etc. Dunno how true that is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

As a kid I was told this kills sperm so being a kid, I stopped drinking it. Recently though I've been getting cans everynow and again because I've realised how stupid I was. Yay lilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Fringe wrote: »
    As a kid I was told this kills sperm so being a kid, I stopped drinking it.

you must have been a very forward thinking kid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    Lilt-out-of-a-can kicked Lilt-out-of-a-bottle's ass. I haven't had Lilt in years, but I used love it! It does remind me of summer, and I'd be really sad if they took it off the market, but I wouldn't rush to buy it.
    Same here, lovely cold from cans. Rotten from bottles. It is not very fizzy so goes dead quicker in bottles than other drinks. I hate flat coke, I get 4-5 "pours" from a 2L and throw it out
    seriously waaaaaay too sweet.
    Lilt is actually quite low in sugar. Not sure if they beef it up with sweeteners. I never found it particularly sweet and that is why I liked it. Skimmed milk actually has more sugar in it than lilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Anyone know where in Dublin I can get this, I'm hungover and it's imperative I get a can of it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Woah... I love these zombie threads.

Lilt's good. No idea where you can get it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

MonsterMob wrote:
    Anyone know where in Dublin I can get this, I'm hungover and it's imperative I get a can of it...

Seen bottles in the big spar on Dame street. Think the cans are a thing of the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Seen bottles in the big spar on Dame street. Think the cans are a thing of the past

Tweet Miriam O'Callaghan - she's there at the moment. Doesn't look like it's too crowded so she'll be delighted to have something to do:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The sweet taste of Diabities type 2, pathway to obesity, near-instant tooth enamel rot, with the tinge of metalic overtones mixed up with countless heaped spoons of white sugar.
    - all from a single aluminum can, adorned with a jazzy logo and retro advertising from a bygone time when carcinogenic smoking was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Whatever you do, don't use lilt as a mixer for spirits. I had a bad night on vodka and lilt a few years back. Thought it would be fun, lord was I wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mojesius wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't use lilt as a mixer for spirits. I had a bad night on vodka and lilt a few years back. Thought it would be fun, lord was I wrong.

It doesnt work with rum either... thought it would be totally tropical!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The sweet taste of Diabities type 2, pathway to obesity, near-instant tooth enamel rot, with the tinge of metalic overtones mixed up with countless heaped spoons of white sugar.
    - all from a single aluminum can, adorned with a jazzy logo and retro advertising from a bygone time when carcinogenic smoking was cool.

Fun at parties?

mojesius wrote: »

I blame the Lilt too :)

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Fun at parties?

Yep, can be found backflipping over the obese diabetics whom pass out in a heap around 2200hrs after their pancreas decide to give up for the night.

And that's after a case of Michelob Ultra (low carb) and straight bourbon chaser.

On the plus sude the acid from Lilt (lemon & lime and citric acid) could probably be used to top up flat car batteries, the 17 spoons of sugar may sizzle down and burn the sides of 100ah packs for a while however.

obese diabetics

, the 17 spoons of sugar
    as I said 10 years ago...
    rubadub wrote: »
    Lilt is actually quite low in sugar. Not sure if they beef it up with sweeteners. I never found it particularly sweet and that is why I liked it. Skimmed milk actually has more sugar in it than lilt.

Most fizzy soft drinks have over twice the sugar. Most fruit juices have over twice the sugar too albeit natural sugar, but are also likely higher in acid and so likely worse for all you appear to be concerned about.

The second I hear "spoons" instead of grams or % I know BS is likely to be ahead.

as
    Most fizzy soft drinks have over twice the sugar. Most fruit juices have over twice the sugar too albeit natural sugar, but are also likely higher in acid and so likely worse for all you appear to be concerned about.

The second I hear "spoons" instead of grams or % I know BS is likely to be ahead.

Since 2003 they did greatly reduce the sugar (replaced with nasties such as Acesulfame K & Aspartame), it's still a acidic drink offering empty calories and little substance (zero protein or fat). Not as bad as RedBulls 10% sugar content, but it's still phiss.

Can't be compared to milk (an exceptionally nutritional natural drink).

Lilt's ingredients is hardly mouth watering:

Carbonated Water, Fruit Juices from Concentrate 5% (Pineapple, Grapefruit), Sugar, Citric Acid, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Sweeteners (Acesulfame K, Aspartame, Sodium Saccharin), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Flavourings, Stabilisers (Acacia Gum, Guar Gum, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Glycerol Esters of Wood Rosins), Colour (Carotenes). Contains a Source of Phenylalanine. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Wasnt former Taoiseach Enda Kenny a fan?

Since 2003...
    Good to see everybody can now see you are full of shite.

Good to see everybody can now see you are full of ....

That's lilt your thinking of.

Btw a standard 1L bottle of Lilt still has 10 teaspoons of sugar, even if it is at the lower end of sugar content compared to coke or redbull.

Some folks would think nothing of guzzling down their 'value' (2l x6) pack over a short weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's lilt your thinking of.

Btw a standard 1L bottle of Lilt still has 10 teaspoons of sugar, even if it is at the lower end of sugar content compared to coke or redbull.

Some folks would think nothing of guzzling down their 'value' (2l x6) pack over a short weekend.

I'd imagine there are worse things you could down a six pack of over a weekend :pac:

I haven't tasted Lilt in years and and this thread is making me want some :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine there are worse things you could down a six pack of over a weekend :pac:

I haven't tasted Lilt in years and and this thread is making me want some :)

Me too.
    I want some just to annoy accumulator!

Advertisement