Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio 4 - External aerial

• 15-04-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

[FONT=&quot]Hi, does anybody know about using an external FM aerial to receive Radio 4 in the Dublin area? Typically how high do you need to go to receive a signal? Is there any source of information or a knowledgeable supplier out there? Was listening on NTL but signal is terrible now. I know this kind of thing was common in the past. Any info gratefully received. Don't want to do the internet thing as I listen on my Hi-Fi tuner.[/FONT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Antenna

A Free-to-Air satellite receiver is probably a better option, especially for high quailty reception through a Hi-Fi system and also there would be no 'Sporadic-E' interference from very distant FM stations during the summer etc.

But if you had it properly before from NTL, and you are still are a customer of them, did you complain to them about deterioration of this service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

An aerial could be feasible in Dublin.

I've got a top of the range Pioneer headunit in my car and I can pick up R4 on 104.6 FM anywhere North of Ashbourne. Sometimes when I'm driving around the M50 I can just about pick it up.

It also depends on the quality of the circuit in your tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I am surprised that you are not receiving BBC Radio 4 (at full strength) from NTL in the Dublin area!

I live in South Dublin (Bray-Shankill) and I am plugged into the NTL FM socket (basic package) & I am receiving all the BBCs loud & clear.

Admittedly BBC RADIO 4 is in a strange place on NTL 96.35 FM, as opposed to 94.9 FM (I Think) from a roof Aerial.

I do actually have a roof Aerial (with an FM booster) which I installed in the 1980s, but it was always reliant on atmospherics, in other words, if it was a clear night with no clouds in the sky then all the BBCs from Wales & Ulster would be full strength, then the next day the signal might be awful . . . . but then we got 'Cable Link' (NTL) & the FM signal has been 'Full Power' ever since!

As a matter of interest, what are the other FM BBCs Like on the NTL socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Radio Mad.

bambooman2 wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Hi, does anybody know about using an external FM aerial to receive Radio 4 in the Dublin area? Typically how high do you need to go to receive a signal? Is there any source of information or a knowledgeable supplier out there? Was listening on NTL but signal is terrible now. I know this kind of thing was common in the past. Any info gratefully received. Don't want to do the internet thing as I listen on my Hi-Fi tuner.[/FONT]

Why not connect a computer or internet radio to the auxiliary socket on your hi-fi? This is what I do and the audio quality is excellent. By the way, I live in Dublin and receive perfect FM radio reception of all BBC stations, including Radio 4, through NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

I used to be able to receive BBC Radio 4 on 104.6 FM near mid Co Louth. Now I can't because some bunch of illiterate retards called i105 have taken up on 105.00 and now I can't get Radio 4 at all.

Anyone got a flame thrower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

bush Baby wrote: »
    I used to be able to receive BBC Radio 4 on 104.6 FM near mid Co Louth. Now I can't because some bunch of illiterate retards called i105 have taken up on 105.00 and now I can't get Radio 4 at all.

Anyone got a flame thrower?
    Same problem here.

Advertisement