Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

idiots!

Options
  • 15-04-2008 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Just in the door from college. Furious.

Traffic was heavy and it was a frustrating drive home anyway as it seemed to be lorry happy hour :rolleyes:

Anyway, i'm 10 minutes from home along a good road, (n2 coming in to monaghan from dublin road)...

finally we get up to speed (100km/hr) and things seem to be going smoothly. There's a dark blue VW golk in front of me and a red van in front of that all going along nicely and at no stage did i attempt to overtake or swing out or try to hurry up or annoy the driver in any way.

He proceeds for no reason to slow right down to 60km/hr, nothing in front of him... i thought it was strange but didn't attempt to overtake as i just thought he was looking for a turn off or had a problem with gears etc... remember he was previously bombing along nicely at just over 100km/hr.

So he speeds up again, accelerating hard for a few hundred yards, then slows right back down. Two thoughts enter my mind... he's either toying with me or else he's just taking the car for a test drive and testing out acceleration... (the latter being a long shot)...

So now fed up, we come to an overtaking lane, so i indicate out past and yip, you guessed it, the guy floors it :mad:

Feck that i said to myself, i'm not going to play games so for the next mile or so he continued to slow down and accelerate, traffic behind was stuck behind a lorry so there was no traffic close by behind me.

I get to a roundabout and notice the guy in front is taking a right (or so i thougt), i'm heading straight on... He goes right around the roundabout like a mad yolk and tailgates me, swerving in and out as if to say 'speed up'. We're in a 60 zone at this stage. So he's used the roundabout to get behind me rather than in front of me...

My turn off is not far after the roundabout so luckily he didn't bother following me any further (two young guys in the car btw)..

But seriosuly WTF?? :mad: Do these people have nothing better to do? Didn't catch his reg plates as to me he was just being a bollox up until he proceeded to tailgate me at which stage he crossed the line... too late at that stage to get any number...

At no stage was i tailgating him or did i pull out in front of him, not let him out of a junction etc... it was just an apparant random 'attack' which is mind boggling...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Oh yeah, you've got to love this type of behaviour alright.

Ive recieved it once or twice, and when your not even tailgating i never understand it.
    What car do you drive maybe they feel the need to annoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

cabrwab wrote: »
    Oh yeah, you've got to love this type of behaviour alright.

Ive recieved it once or twice, and when your not even tailgating i never understand it.
    What car do you drive maybe they feel the need to annoy!

renault megane hatchback, no mods, a real boy racer car :rolleyes:

i would half understand it if i had flashed them or driven aggressively behind them etc.. but i wasn't.

in fact, they were well ahead of me and pulling away when they decided to slow right down and start the games...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

strange, strange behaviour.

hopefully they'll end up candidates for a darwin award in the near future.

When someone tries that crap with me, I'll either slow sown to the point where they get bored and go away or overtake them and leave them behind.

They're usually the type who are goading you into overtaking them though so they can floor it as you do so be careful if you do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I tend to brake at random intervals if someone is tailing me! The get the hint very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I tend to brake at random intervals if someone is tailing me! The get the hint very quickly!

Best avoid doing this as it can cause more trouble than it solves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

How does everyone here deal with tailgating?

Incident happened to me on the M50 last week. Was driving along keeping up to speed with the traffic (approx 80k or so) when i see a truck in my rear view mirror, maybe 200-300yards behind me (we were both in the left lane) I look back at the road again and a few seconds later i look in my mirror again and just see headlights (not on, was about 8 in the evening, so still bright). This was a tall cab truck, he was so close i doubt he could see my back window.

This goes on for about 3-4 mins, until the guy in front of me moved into the overtaking lane, leaving me some room ahead, so i sped up a bit and hit the hazards and motioned for him to overtake (over taking lane was empty). next thing I know, the guy speeds up to match my speed (about100k now) with full headlights on. My exit came up about a mile or two ahead, and i took the details from the truck and called the transport company, who were quite happy to hear about it..

So how do you deal with idiots like this? cant tap the brakes, because he cant see my brakelights. Ive only been driving a few months now, so the whole thing made me quite uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote: »
    Best avoid doing this as it can cause more trouble than it solves.
    stevec wrote: »
    When someone tries that crap with me, I'll either slow sown to the point where they get bored and go away or overtake them and leave them behind.

Good advice. Don't engage with them in any way. Avoid any confrontion is the safest way out of the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I hate people who suggest this strategy :(

a. he'll whack into the back of you and injure you.
    b. he'll skid out of control, across the road and take out some other poor bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

noblestee wrote: »
    on the M50 last week. Was driving along keeping up to speed with the traffic (approx 80k or so) when i see a truck in my rear view mirror
    i sped up a bit and hit the hazards and motioned for him to overtake (over taking lane was empty)

A truck overtaking on a motorway is a penalty point offence. Maybe that has something to do with his behaviour?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

How does everyone here deal with tailgating?

Incident happened to me on the M50 last week. Was driving along keeping up to speed with the traffic (approx 80k or so) when i see a truck in my rear view mirror, maybe 200-300yards behind me (we were both in the left lane) I look back at the road again and a few seconds later i look in my mirror again and just see headlights (not on, was about 8 in the evening, so still bright). This was a tall cab truck, he was so close i doubt he could see my back window.

This goes on for about 3-4 mins, until the guy in front of me moved into the overtaking lane, leaving me some room ahead, so i sped up a bit and hit the hazards and motioned for him to overtake (over taking lane was empty). next thing I know, the guy speeds up to match my speed (about100k now) with full headlights on. My exit came up about a mile or two ahead, and i took the details from the truck and called the transport company, who were quite happy to hear about it..

So how do you deal with idiots like this? cant tap the brakes, because he cant see my brakelights. Ive only been driving a few months now, so the whole thing made me quite uncomfortable

If it was in the roadworks section then he can overtake you. If not it's illegal for him to go to the overtaking lane.

Still doesn't excuse the muppet behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

unkel wrote: »
    A truck overtaking on a motorway is a penalty point offence. Maybe that has something to do with his behaviour?

Oh ok, i didnt know that. But there was no need for the full headlights and tailgating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

unkel wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal for a truck to overtake using lane 2 of a motorway with more than 2 lanes.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's perfectly legal for a truck to overtake using lane 2 of a motorway with more than 2 lanes.

Where in Ireland is there a 3 lane motorway (without roadworks)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Seems I was partially incorrect, or at least more details had to be added....
    You must not use the lane nearest the central median (lane 2 or lane 3, depending on the motorway width) if you are driving:

* a goods vehicle with a design gross vehicle weight of more than 3,500 kilograms,
    * a passenger vehicle with seating for more than 8 passengers (aside from the driver), or
    * a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.

You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances when you cannot proceed in the inner lane because of a blockage ahead. You may also use it if you are at a location on a motorway where a speed limit of 80km/h or less applies.

Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Seems I was partially incorrect, or at least more details had to be added....

Strange.
    This covers the M50 then :(

Advertisement