Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA jumping to GDDR5?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

It also says this though..
    No one of the top-tier graphics manufacturers claimed that they would use the new type of memory

If they can't use GDDR4, Then 5 is probably their only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

So Geforce 10 then. Christmas 2009 or even 2010 which would seem more likely.

Are ATI/AMD getting any performance gains out of GDDR4 or is it just the price tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Geforce 10 sounds... well, dated.

New line of GPUs ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It really doesn't seem that long ago that the 'Geforce 256' had me seething with jealousy....hard to believe they're at 9 already.

As for the difference in memory....last time I checked, the gain was about 10% - and that was tops. The mean difference was about 1%...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

but for Nvidia using GDDR4 is not an option, since its flagship 8 and 9 graphics cores cannot work with it. The only solution for Nvidia is to use pricey GDDR3 with a wider memory bus, or directly shift to the new GDDR5 memory
    Interesting, but what I am wondering here is, how if NV's 8 & 9 series can't work with GDDR4 do they get them working with GDDR5. It does seem to be a revision of the 8 & 9 series they refer to here, rather than a further into the future 10 series, is it not?
    Am I right in thinking it is somehow analogous to the situation in the CPU world, where a DDR2 motherboard wasn't possible with a socket 939 Athlon 64, because the memory controller which was designed only for DDR1 was on die and part of the processor itself?
    Or am I missing something in the article?

• Advertisement
Advertisement