Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change Gas Meter?

Options
  • 15-04-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm about to rent out my house. For years my Bord Gas bills were estimated because I was never there when the Man called. The other day the rang & asked me to read out my meter, they said the bill would be into thousands. If my new tenants are actually there & get a proper reading the bill would bew huge, what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Glacier wrote: »
    OK, I'm about to rent out my house. For years my Bord Gas bills were estimated because I was never there when the Man called. The other day the rang & asked me to read out my meter, they said the bill would be into thousands. If my new tenants are actually there & get a proper reading the bill would bew huge, what can I do?
    Sorry I don't understand. What's your question? Surely you just pay your gas bill.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Pay the bill and have your tenants start with a clean slate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭starky

Glacier wrote: »
    To be honest there is absolutely nothing you can do here. As soon as you get the gas signed over to the new tenants you will have to give a final meter reading, there will be a bill calculated to cover the usage up to that reading which will be your final bill. If it’s for thousands then you will have to pay it. Gas is like everything else you pay for what you use. Every bill that you received was clearly marked as an “estimate” bill this should have rang alarm bells that maybe you were not getting accurate bills. I bet they were really low and you though you were getting a great deal! If a bill like all things financial seems to be too go to be true, it probably is.

You should probably be carful posing something like “How to change Gas Meter” as this could be construed as you looking for advice on how to illegally tamper with a gas meter.

Best advice it to pay up and put it down to experience, and watch out for estimated bills in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can ask Bord Gáis to move the meter from inside to outside. With your bill, they might do it for free - I'm not sure if they normally charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

You can take meter readings regularly yourself and submit them on the bord gais website or by phone. I do it regularly to avoid estimated bills.

• Advertisement
Advertisement