Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best U2 song

Options
  • 15-04-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

I'm sure its been done to death but what is it?
    Mine's Ultraviolet (Light my way)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Fly or Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Zoo Station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Creature wrote: »
    The Fly or Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me.
    We agree on the album then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

caoibhin wrote: »

Achtung Baby is definitely there best album, off it I would have to say One followed by Ultraviolet

Definitely :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

what a bloody difficult question (good one tho'!)

i'd probably have a different favourite nearly everyday

if i had to go for one right i'd go for....

New Year's Day

i cant pinpoint why, just something about that song that has always stood out for me

but Achtung Baby is still my favourite U2 album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

At this moment in time I'm gonna say either 40 or Seconds, both which are off War incidently.

'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' wasn't on Achtung Baby - single and from 'Batman forever' soundtrack. Prob one of my least favourite U2 songs :eek: along with 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet', 'The Saints Are Coming' and a lot of the last two albums :pac:

'She's a Mystery to Me' written by Bono and The Edge for Roy Orbison is another great song that people often forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

either 'a sort of home coming', 'the unforgettable fire' or 'if god will send his angels'

funktastic wrote: »
    'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me' wasn't on Achtung Baby - single and from 'Batman forever' soundtrack. Prob one of my least favourite U2 songs :eek: along with 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet', 'The Saints Are Coming' and a lot of the last two albums :pac:

'She's a Mystery to Me' written by Bono and The Edge for Roy Orbison is another great song that people often forget.

Ihndeed it is. I bought the whole soundtrack back in the day just for Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me...then lost the CD :pac:. I agree with you about the last two albums being dire, though In A Little While is a gem of a song, one of their best.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    either 'a sort of home coming', 'the unforgettable fire' or 'if god will send his angels'

Oh, forgot about that beautie.

Creature wrote: »
    Ihndeed it is. I bought the whole soundtrack back in the day just for Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me...then lost the CD :pac:. I agree with you about the last two albums being dire, though In A Little While is a gem of a song, one of their best.

And this one.

Oh, forgot about that beautie.
    And this one.

there are so many

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm shocked! Nobody has mentioned I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and Wild Horses yet :p

Kevster wrote: »
    I'm shocked! Nobody has mentioned I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and Wild Horses yet :p

good, but maybe too main stream, its the hidden jems, the ones not played to often that are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

My current favourites would have to be Walk on and Window in the Skies. Fav album would have to be the Joshua Tree - some really dark brooding tunes on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

funktastic wrote: »

They didn't write it for roy orbison.

Once it was finished bono decided it wasn't a U2 song that he felt it was more like a roy song but he wasnt writing a song for roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

"Out of control" for me, then "Stay (faraway, so close!)" or "until the end of the world"

Achtung Baby gets my vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

a sort of homecoming for the oldie
    one for the newie
    But could have a list as long as me arm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Where the streets have no name, beautiful intro, sweeping synths, the ever increasing delayed guitar and then off we go. Gloria is quite good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Love is blindness.

Best Live U2 song?

Mine would be 'Bad', 'One Tree Hill' (I have an amazing version from Point in '89), the version and video of 'Desire' from 'Rattle and Hum', 'Bullet The Blue Sky', and 'Where The Streets Have No Name'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I'm not really into U2 but I do like "When love comes to town", "Desire" and "angel of Harlem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Sorry to be boring and pick an obvious one, but "With Or Without You" :) Love that song.
    My favourite 'less mainstream' one is "Gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I Will Follow.
    Haven't topped it since.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Leaving the big hits aside for a minute, I love the bass line in If You Wear That Velvet Dress (or whatever it's called). Especially that ONE note that's "out of tune" in the chorus.

I agree that Achtung Baby is probably the best album. It's quite "out there" compared to the other albums.

Party Girl is one of my favourite songs otherwise. The lyrics were voted "worst lyrics ever" at some point, but there's something about the song as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Oink wrote: »
    Leaving the big hits aside for a minute, I love the bass line in If You Wear That Velvet Dress (or whatever it's called). Especially that ONE note that's "out of tune" in the chorus.

Agreed, it's a cool song, kinda like a late night lounge song.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

Have to agree too achtung baby probably best album but fav songs for me are probably 'bad' 'the unforgetable fire' and as for the battle that is between 'with or without you' over 'one' I would always pick with or without you. strange as I picked achtung baby as fav album. probably a lot to do with the memories it holds as does a lot of music i guess. Funny i never would have put myself down as a big u2 fan but just looking now I seem to have a good few of their albums as opposed to bands I would have thought I liked better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Achtung Baby is their best album- full of dark, beautiful, brooding songs.

Favourite U2 song is probably Ultraviolet (Light My Way).
    Love the opening lyrics- Sometimes I feel like I don't know
    Sometimes I feel like checkin' out
    I want to get it wrong
    Can't always be strong
    And love it won't be long...

Complemented nicely by Love is Blindness.

Zoostation has a fcuking amazing, industrial-sounding intro and has just such an uplifting relentlessness to it.
    Unbelievable track to drive to.

Other than that With or Without you is a stone cold classic.
    Unforgettable Fire and
    New Years Day are great.

So too many to mention :) but probably Ultraviolet or Zoostation.

Advertisement