Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More signs of upcoming war with Iran?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

I sure as F@#% hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am sure the war mongers Bush and Cheney would just love to engage in another war of aggression against Iran. However, they would have to mad, there military is pretty stretched with the 2 wars there currently fighting. They can't possibly be so stupid to launch another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I read a short article in Newsweek that showed the results of a poll. It showed that iranians were in support of the government plans for nuclear power. I can't find the article on the newsweek website, but they suggested that with Iran's large oil reserves there was only one reason why they wanted nuclear technology. I don't know how unbiased Newsweek is supposed to be these days but when a magazine like that starts the sabar rattling you know there's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Hmmmmm...not sure that the US is going to take on a country like North Korea or Iran, considering that they actually might have weapons of mass destruction. That would make no sense.

They will, however, take on weak and fragile countries like Iraq and say that those countries do have wmd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I read a short article in Newsweek that showed the results of a poll. It showed that iranians were in support of the government plans for nuclear power. I can't find the article on the newsweek website, but they suggested that with Iran's large oil reserves there was only one reason why they wanted nuclear technology. I don't know how unbiased Newsweek is supposed to be these days but when a magazine like that starts the sabar rattling you know there's a problem.

Well, I find it odd that such magazine, haven't mentioned that maybe they want nuclear tech for when the oil runs out, but then we can't expect much from the compliant members of the media these days.

Also, if I had 3 nuclear powers, with 2 being hostile (US & Israel) and a 3rd coming from the rival Sunni Muslim sect (Pakistan), maybe I would want some nuclear technology. Lets not forget that neighboring Arab regimes hate them too, remember that the US backed Saddam war of aggression against Iran resulted in a million dead between the 2 sides.

I wouldn't blame Iran wanting nuclear weapons either, considering there neighborhood and the fact that the American's threatened them in 2003 and backed Saddam's war against them. The US/UK axis would be reluctant to attack them, if they had WMD's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wes wrote: »
    Well, I find it odd that such magazine, haven't mentioned that maybe they want nuclear tech for when the oil runs out, but then we can't expect much from the compliant members of the media these days.

it could also be that their reserves are lower than they are reporting, and they simply want something else in place so they can milk the last of the oil for all it's worth before it dries out.

if America go through with this, well God help us all. the worlds economy will probably slide further and no doubt the 'war on terror' will escalate for decades to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Or maybe they want Nuclear power for domestic use and export the oil as the price goes ever higher else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Does anyone else remember a certain 10 year war where Iran fought the west who were using chemical weapons at the time? They didnt lose either. If anything did start it would be the end of Iraq as we know it... again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

America really can't afford another war at the moment. Their military is so stretched and the American people simply wouldn't stand for another war. They are also in billions of dollars of debt and people are slowly coming around to the fact there that their money would be best spent looking after the American people first, rather than paying for military 'excursions'.

Striking Iran would tip the world into chaos... ...Iran has strong allies in the form of Russia and Venezuela (Venezuela is strong because they sell a lot of oil to America).

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Well I've read Iran only has a month or two of refined oil supplies if they got cut off, they have plenty and plenty of crude, just not much refined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Yes folks, war with Iran will happen any day now.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Yes folks, war with Iran will happen any day now.

Who are you talking to? any one in this thread saying war is going to happen any day now? I'm sure if Iraq had gone better it would be more than just this supposed propaganda and sabre rattling, but thats just a hypothetical situation. Strangely enough the Bush administration seemed a lot less bothered about North Korea getting WMD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Who are you talking to? any one in this thread saying war is going to happen any day now? I'm sure if Iraq had gone better it would be more than just this supposed propaganda and sabre rattling, but thats just a hypothetical situation. Strangely enough the Bush administration seemed a lot less bothered about North Korea getting WMD.

I think it's more the preponderance of belief that the Republicans are actively looking for a fight with Iran for the simple sake of having a fight with Iran, they just haven't found a good enough excuse for it yet. Threads like this seem to pop up on Boards with amusing regularity. Do a search in Politics for "attack Iran", and see how many hits you get. The linked-to thread above is far from the only one where dates have been bandied about, and have since passed.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

jonny72 wrote: »

Of course they were less bothered. They have no intention of attacking North Korea as North Korea may have WMD. You do not attack someone who may hit you or your allies back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Forthcoming election, economic crisis at home and growing isolationist and protectionist sentiment in the US should ensure a conventional war is non-starter imminently. You wouldn't rule it out in 5 to 10 years time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

US military top brass could not contemplate invasion of Iran as they are so stretched.
    They are affectively bogged down in two different theatres with decreasing allied support.
    Their only option would be to keep their troops in the field long term and that would include the National Gruard units.
    Either that or try bring in the draft and that would be one hell of a gamble with US public opinion.

As with Iraq nuclear project, they would like the Israelis to perform the actual attack but the Iranians have forseen this and the plant is supposedly hard to destroy using an air attack.
    Thus they have to look at using other means.
    Maybe Chuck Norris will have a go.
    He is a good old boy from Texas ya know.

PS I just love it how people have adopted the buzzword Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) for the old fashioned named Atomic/Nuclear/Chemical weapons. Adds to the old shock and awe of it all.
    It's a bit like how we have adopted the old Friendly Fire term.

I am not allowed discuss …

Of course they were less bothered. They have no intention of attacking North Korea as North Korea may have WMD. You do not attack someone who may hit you or your allies back.

It's not the possible nukes that makes NK somewhat untouchable. It's the fact that they'd have to cross the most heavily defended border in the world, the really lousy terrain which is great for defense, against a very large Army, and with a large number of your own facilities (and, incidently, Seoul) in range of what is one of the world's largest, and most fortified artillery parks. It would be ugly.

There's also the issue of violating an armistice: Remember that NK is still technically at war, and a signed temporary ceasefire deal is in place. It wouldn't look good to randomly violate such a deal.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

When you read this crap you really see who the terrorist states are - Isreal and America, and im sure Britain as ususal has its part in it.
    If there is going to be war between the Jews and Iran then ill be supporting Iran 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I can't find the article on the newsweek website, but they suggested that with Iran's large oil reserves there was only one reason why they wanted nuclear technology.

I take it they didn't suggest that reason is because their reserves are mostly in heavy crude.

I think it's more the preponderance of belief that the Republicans are actively looking for a fight with Iran for the simple sake of having a fight with Iran, they just haven't found a good enough excuse for it yet. Threads like this seem to pop up on Boards with amusing regularity. Do a search in Politics for "attack Iran", and see how many hits you get. The linked-to thread above is far from the only one where dates have been bandied about, and have since passed.

NTM

Do a search for 'attack Iran' in the media and see what comes up with frightening regularity. Of course its a giant game of bluff, but its a dangerous game, and its being gleefully pushed along by hardline elements on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    If there is going to be war between the Jews and Iran then ill be supporting Iran 100%.

nice :eek:

why don't you head off to Tehran and offer your services to the Revolutionary Guards?

I'm sure they'll appreciate your support, being such cuddly sorts as they are

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

jmayo wrote: »
    PS I just love it how people have adopted the buzzword Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) for the old fashioned named Atomic/Nuclear/Chemical weapons. Adds to the old shock and awe of it all.

Somewhat offtopic, I know, but I think you may have it the wrong way round.

As far as I'm aware, the term "Weapons of Mass Desctruction" predates the term ABC (Atomic, biological, chemical).

ABC was replaced with NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) with the advent of the hydrogen bomb, and was in turn replaced with CBRN (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear) when so-called 'dirty bombs' (subcritical nuclear devices, who's threat is primarily radiological) were added as a seperate .classification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

nice :eek:

why don't you head off to Tehran and offer your services to the Revolutionary Guards?

I'm sure they'll appreciate your support, being such cuddly sorts as they are

But I could say the same for the other said, why dont you go over and join the American/Israeli army?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    But I could say the same for the other said, why dont you go over and join the American/Israeli army?

Words of wisdom as always. :rolleyes:
    Did anyone notice in the pic that it is not actually an F-18? It looks like an F-5 training jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

While its been pretty quiet I think things are still moving behind the scenes..

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/iran_nuclear_strike/2008/04/14/87887.html?s=sp&promo_code=4948-1

This has to be just a large-scale scare tactic, they cannot seriously be contemplating an attack?

Source of material is dubious to say the least. Israel is even more paranoid than the US. What if...? at best.
    If Dick Cheney had shown up in Ireland might we have had something to fear as well?

There are many reasons why not. Most of that revolves around the military and as posted above, for the US "it's the economy stupid" for the next few years at least. Dubya's presidency has convinced us that America will start a war at the drop of a hat. Cheney will disappear soon enough along with the rest of them.

Nothing to gain from a nightmare scenario like that and absolutely everything to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

Conspiracy theorists will point out that Iraq was invaded not long after Saddam Hussein converted Iraq's Oil For Food sales from US$ into EUR. Also, when the troops entered Baghdad, their first destination, quite surprisingly, was the Oil Ministry, upon the securing of which, the first act of the American provisional government was to switch Iraq's oil trading currency back to USD.

Iran has now abandoned the Dollar as their oil trading currency. Even the oil they sell by the dollar, the bill must be settled with another currency. The Japanese, for example, have been settling their bills by paying Yen. Iran has now set up a Rial denominated oil trading bourse, and intends to set up more bourses for trading various commodities in non dollar currencies.

Oh and, check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixG55tWAebg
    to see how Iran is making progress getting back to secularism (from ABC news no less, so much for all Western media being biased, jingoistic, propoganda nonsense).

I have no doubts about 2 things.
    1: That an ill-concieved war with Iran would be a disaster for all the peoples of the world.
    2: But the Iranian government risks war by threatening the Petrodollar concept.

One thing I know for certain is that we pretend Saudi Arabia is our friend when it is clear they are not only the most barbarian and sectarian state on Earth, but their attempts to spread Wahibbist Islam throughout the world actively and fundamentally threaten civilisation itself.

Why the U.S. invaded Iraq when there were no weapons, and there weapons inspectors (remember those) on the ground tearing the place apart looking for them I do not know. My eyes were opened to the goings on there, when Colin Powell, seeking UN autorisaton to invade Iraq, gave a presentation about Iraq's "WMD" that consisted of "we found two lorries in the desert." Why we're even discussing the possibility invading Iran, when the evidence that they mean us harm is so vastly thinner than that against our "friends" in SA, I am completely at a loss to figure out. Petrodollar hedgemony is the only possibility I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ah but Sean look at how much money Halliburton et al made/still make from the war. Just like the tribunals here follow the money and you'll get the story. Edit - not exactly on topic but it illustrates my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭yawtin

Don't think it will happen soon.

People say the Russians and Chinese have got together on the Iran issue. It is more likely to be a small scale cold war between the US and Russia and China, just like Taiwan. And this time Europe is not likely to support the US neither.It would be quite suicidal for the Americans to start a war there now.

Did anyone notice in the pic that it is not actually an F-18? It looks like an F-5 training jet.

Which pic?

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

in response to the last sentence , thats because israel isnt anywhere near north korea

Advertisement