Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested locals ...

Options
  • 15-04-2008 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

.... I like locals, perhaps I'm showing my age but I like getting a seat, being able to hear people chat and not having to queue too long for a drink ... I'm living in knocknacarra, I like Sheridans, it's pretty nice and I've been to the cottage and PJ's in Salthill, any other suggested haunts around my area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

dafunk wrote: »
    .... I like locals, perhaps I'm showing my age but I like getting a seat, being able to hear people chat and not having to queue too long for a drink ... I'm living in knocknacarra, I like Sheridans, it's pretty nice and I've been to the cottage and PJ's in Salthill, any other suggested haunts around my area?

Spinnaker isn't bad. I go there a bit to watch the 'oul soccer. It can be a bit dead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

clybaun hotels not bad for matches..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hanley Oaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Cottage is class. The Office in salthill wasn't a bad pub either. If you're in city center, I swear by Central Bar (near the goalpost and McSwiggans) as a place you're always able to get a pint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DRakE wrote: »
    clybaun hotels not bad for matches..
    I went in there last year to catch a Liverpool game and they told me they didn't have Setanta. Has that changed? I accept that they may have told me that just to get rid of me :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I know it's the otherside of the city but becketts is a great place for a match. Nice guinness too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ward's Hotel (just up the street from the Cottage) has a proper old-man local-bar-for-local-people bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

cornbb wrote: »
    Ward's Hotel (just up the street from the Cottage) has a proper old-man local-bar-for-local-people bar.

Well I'm neither old nor a man but that's the sort of place I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

dafunk wrote: »
    Well I'm neither old nor a man but that's the sort of place I was looking for!

Give it a shot so! The place is all sepia coloured, smells funny and has faded photos of GAA teams everywhere. Not for everyone but there's a friendly barman and great pints. Worth checking out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

The Cottage has a really nice beer garden, too! Perfect spot for nice weather ;-)

Also, 'The Thatch Cottage' (I think that's what it's called) on Cooke's corner is quite local-y.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Or you could go in the other direction to O'Donnelly's in Barna.

used to be a nice friendly pub to have a chat in, although to be honest I haven't used it much since all the yuppie development started in barna. Hopefully, though, that lot are using the Twelve!

I lived in Woodfield for a while & used to walk home from O'Donnellys. (fiver in a taxi if I felt a stagger coming on though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Sherifu wrote: »
    Hanley Oaks.
    Is it still called Hanley Oaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

sgthighway wrote: »
    Is it still called Hanley Oaks?

Yup, though we lovingly refer to it as "Scary Pines"..comparable to a b and b too if you have folks visiting and can't fit them (and they want to drink 'quite late'). Crowd can be a bit mixed and rough around the edges, but I always had good craic there, the few times I have been in.

Bad news is I heard they are tearing it soon, to build apartments :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ah shite. There are enough apartments there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

inisboffin wrote: »
    Yup, though we lovingly refer to it as "Scary Pines"..comparable to a b and b too if you have folks visiting and can't fit them (and they want to drink 'quite late'). Crowd can be a bit mixed and rough around the edges, but I always had good craic there, the few times I have been in.

Visit Hanley Oaks for skangers and then come visit me! I live next to it!
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Ah shite. There are enough apartments there already.

As long as they wait until I have left my apartment they can do what they like!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Good God, Hanley's Oaks v v scary..

Wards, PJ's and Cottage my favs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Well this probably won't help OP but for one in town try Cullinanes on the corner of Eglinton Street across from Eddie Rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Good God, Hanley's Oaks v v scary..

Ah ye have no sense of adventure :p

Cottage was lovely when I was there recently, adding nice tapas even improves it from back in the days when we loved it only for the booze :D

Wards was mentioned. While I agree it is normally lovely and quiet, I was at the MADDEST session ever there once... Just think of a famous trad musician and they were probably there! My musician friend was in heaven!

What is McGuires like these days, next to the Weigh Inn?

Also, there's a new 'old' place up on Dominic St, Brún I think is the name of it, looks pleasant enough.

Bring back the Harbour Bar!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Oh god, the Hanley Oaks. Lived next to it last year and it wasnt really welcoming to the college crowd! Always used to go there after nights out in the hope the porter would get us take out! Never did, but bless him, he always got us smokes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Do it the proper way!

"Knacker Drinking"

Bottle of Buckfast - Comfy Tree stump/rock

• Advertisement

kevmy wrote: »
    Well this probably won't help OP but for one in town try Cullinanes on the corner of Eglinton Street across from Eddie Rockets

Def a good choice - nice, giant, always near empty.

Do it the proper way!

"Knacker Drinking"

Bottle of Buckfast - Comfy Tree stump/rock

That was my Monday eve, but I was around the spanish arch, so I don't think that counts at all. In fact, I think I'm the height of Galway fashion ;)

Advertisement