Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Xbox wont work in the rain?

• 15-04-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

No im not using it my garden, but whenever it rains Live wont connect. Which is a bit sh!t considering it rains 360 days of the year.
    After the rain stops it will stay off for about 6 hours.

First I thought it may be the Xbox, but thought how the hell would it know when its raining??

Then I was thinking it may be the internet connection as I have IBB Breeze and the rain may affect this. But I tested the connection and its fine. No matter what the weather its always at full connection down and up...

Anyone have any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭therealzuppy

Does it stop working when you boil a kettle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Ah yes the old WROD problem (Wet Rings of Death)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

heymcflyx wrote: »
    No im not using it my garden, but whenever it rains Live wont connect. Which is a bit sh!t considering it rains 360 days of the year.

First I thought it may be the Xbox, but thought how the hell would it know when its raining??

Then I was thinking it may be the internet connection as I have IBB Breeze and the rain may affect this. But I tested the connection and its fine. No matter what the weather its always at full connection down and up...

Anyone have any ideas??

First of all... are you serious?

Second, IBB is absolutely sh1t, when we had it the speeds would go from ok to dial up speed and back most of the time, that's not conducive for live gaming at all. Run a few speed tests at speedtest.net and i'm sure you'll find the same thing, quality of service rating was usually at 35% or something (compared to at least 90% on Smart Telecom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I don't think that statement is fair, it all depends on you location and what mast you are on.

I had IBB breeze for a few years and had brilliant speeds, infact i haven't seen any other provider with better upload speeds.
    But as I say depends on you location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It also depends on the service. Mountain Lips could have been using ripwave instead of Breeze in which case its an ISDN like service as opposed to BB even though they try to sell it as BB, its not really (it is theoretically I suppose).

I use Breeze for online with no problems for ages in Maynooth. Its gone to the dogs recently so I think they've oversold in Maynooth :( Some of the time it is okay though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

brim4brim wrote: »
    It also depends on the service. Mountain Lips could have been using ripwave

Ha Ha! that's funny! Ripwave = diabolical!

I was using breeze as well, I should've specified i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ha Ha! that's funny! Ripwave = diabolical!

I was using breeze as well, I should've specified i guess!

Yeah a lot of people expect Ripwave to be decent.

Ripwave = Rip Off.

Avoid like the plague people, no use for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When it rains the signal quality goes down on wireless connections.

That means bad latency and packet loss. Latency is the amount of time a packet of data takes to go to and from the destination source and packet loss is the data that is corrupted or lost along the way. IBB suffers badly from both of these.

Home users don't notice and it doesn't really effect downloading or internet browsing. It does effect things that require a constant stable connection like gaming and vpn connections.

When I used IBB I found that even outside of the wireless problems, there would be a ping spike every 10-15 seconds across their own internal network nearly all the time. This made any game on it unplayable.

For the people who say there IBB connection is fine, that great and it probably is. The problem with IBB is that because they have such large network coverage on masts that they generate lots of interference the closer you are. So being close to a mast is not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I have to say I hate dealing with IBB. There customer service is krap. But I run speed tests twice a day and its almost always 95%.

I had ripwave and it annoyed the fuk out of me. So got the 3 meg breeze. Had 2 meg b4 bout 2 years ago with IBB and used to for my 360 and had no problem rain or shine. So I though 3meg would not cause me a problem. I tested the connection in the rain on my PC and its fine. The mast is less than a mile away but this does not explain why it worked then and does not now. prob some system update I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

heymcflyx wrote: »

Anyone have any ideas??

U sure your not just losing your connection all the time, and it also just happens to be raining, as you pointed out it rains most of the time.:D

XBL generally requires a good connection, perhaps bad weather is attenuating your signal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Maybe, when it's raining, more people want to play video games, slowing down the network.

Advertisement