Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runoff from garden shed onto boundary wall

Options
  • 15-04-2008 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am planning to put a very small (6x4) garden shed into a space between my house and the boundary wall with my neighbour. The distance from the roof of my shed to the boundary wall would only be a couple of inches. The wall is plastered 9" hollow block.

The new shed will have a pent roof and the rain will run off in the direction of this boundary wall.

Is this foolish? Will the run-off water damage the wall. Would it be feasible to put some kind of gutter into such a small place, with or without some flashing if necessary?

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Katzi wrote: »
    I am planning to put a very small (6x4) garden shed into a space between my house and the boundary wall with my neighbour. The distance from the roof of my shed to the boundary wall would only be a couple of inches. The wall is plastered 9" hollow block.

The new shed will have a pent roof and the rain will run off in the direction of this boundary wall.

Is this foolish? Will the run-off water damage the wall. Would it be feasible to put some kind of gutter into such a small place, with or without some flashing if necessary?

Any help gratefully received.

TBH a big male dog would be a bigger problem:)

You could put a gutter on the shed if you wanted.

What base have u under the shed, can the water soak away?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Hi ircoha

Twice today you have come to the aid of a damsel in distress. Thank you.

The area under the shed comprises a 3' concrete path put in by the builders and sloping away from the house into a graveled area beside the base of the wall. The roof of the shed will be galvanised box profile - ie. with ridges.

Although the roof size if very small, the problem would be that any water would shoot straight off and hit the wall before flowing down it into the gravel part. I was wondering if I could sort of jam a half-gutter pipe under the edge of this galvanised roof and angle it so that it would slant towards the front of the shed where I could have it drain straight into the gravel soak away.

I live next door to a very nasty piece of work who will be looking for any excuse whatsoever to complain about anything I do. Really appreciate your help because I know sod all about this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In light of your comments about the neighbour, I'd advise you to look at installing a gutter if there is a chance that the run-off could reach the wall.
    They will be looking for compensation if the garden ever floods again!

Is it possible to fit a gutter so that it is flush between two walls? In this case between the wall and shed?

Also, any advice as to what type of gutter to use or where to buy it.

Anyone any idea where to get really narrow guttering? Usual is about 5-6" wide. I am looking for something about 3" wide.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

if the rear of the shed is lower than the top of the boundary wall then u dont need a gutter as the water will not go into his garden.
    U say the wall is 9" plastered hollow block so no worries at all.
    I presume it is a garden wall and not part of his house

The roof of the shed is replacing the concrete path in terms of catchment so no worries.

If u are still worried put some good quality paint like santex on the wall, make sure u prime it first properly or else look for 'paint on dpm' instead of the paint

Many thanks ircoha.

No water will run into his garden. The egde of the shed roof will be about 1 foot under the coving on the top of the wall. It is a boundary wall that was painted (12 years ago!). So I will brush it down well, use Sandex stabilizer and then Weathershield on it. So hopefully that will do it. Fingers crossed for good weather over the next week!

Advertisement