Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polar cycle computer advise?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

For that kind of money I'd go for a Garmin Edge 605 or 705, in fact the 705 is next paydays toy :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The reason both those polars are so expensive is that they're designed to measure power output as well if you add optional accessories. The CS400 will do all you want and is a bit cheaper. I've no experienc with other brands so others might be able to recommend stuff at better prices, such as the Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hobojojo

el tonto wrote: »
    The reason both those polars are so expensive is that they're designed to measure power output as well if you add optional accessories. The CS400 will do all you want and is a bit cheaper. I've no experienc with other brands so others might be able to recommend stuff at better prices, such as the Garmin.

the only thing ill say about the cs400 is that it has no altimeter features, and seeing as though i mainly cycle in the dublin/wicklow mountains this is an important feature to me. you know, i want to know my average and max ascent times and stuff like that.

gonna go check out the germins now though

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

hobojojo wrote: »
    the only thing ill say about the cs400 is that it has no altimeter features...

According to the Polar website it measure altitute, ascent and descent.

el tonto wrote: »
    According to the Polar website it measure altitute, ascent and descent.

oh, yeah, i was just on the site too and it does do altitude, but i was looking for one that will graph your altitude on my pc,sorry forgot to say that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

ive being using the 725x for over a year now, great little toy once you know how to use it....bought it on ebay, and TBH its the only place where i will buy it.

you can also use it for running if needed, but you need to buy foot sensor, this is the same for the cadence.

overall well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Go for s725x.. its the Cat meow.. I have the S625x.. You get great software for your computer ..I'll post screen shots later..

You'll need one of these,

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors.com/polar_ir_interface.htm

I have the older one.

hobojojo wrote: »
    oh, yeah, i was just on the site too and it does do altitude, but i was looking for one that will graph your altitude on my pc,sorry forgot to say that earlier.

are you sure the polar software doesnt graphs it? ive the 725x and it graphs it.....

smithslist wrote: »
    are you sure the polar software doesnt graphs it? ive the 725x and it graphs it.....

It does do graphs

Go for s725x.. its the Cat meow.. I have the S625x.. You get great software for your computer ..I'll post screen shots later..

You'll need one of these,

http://www.polar-heartrate-monitors.com/polar_ir_interface.htm

I have the older one.

the 625x and 725x are v.similiar, ive known guys still using the 625x and have had no hassle, i only went with the 725x because it was the latest model and it was a great price (on ebay) otherwise it wuld have being the 625x

• Advertisement

Here is a screen shot from the Polar software for the S625x and the s725x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I use the CS400. It does graph altitude, incline etc... and does everything the CS600 does except power. All of these use the same Polar Pro Trainer software. When I was away for a few days cycling, both myself and my teamate who uses a 725 were uploading our data to the same PC and same software. I got mine for about 200 on ebay. Theres not much between all those computers, if you are not interested in power then the CS400 is a much better value proposition.

I don't rate the Garmin. A pro rider sold one of the lads his one so I have seen it up close. Big, ugly and needs to be recharged every 10 hours or so, which is just one more piece of preparation I could do without before a ride !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I use the CS400. It does graph altitude, incline etc... and does everything the CS600 does except power

in that case i think ill be getting the cs400, looks like it'll do everything i want.

how do you find the software the comes with it, quigs?

i also dont like the garmin computers, far too big by the looks of things, and having to charge them every 10 hours would be well annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Have to agree with Quiggs Snr,the Garmin is overrrated,i had one got rid of it,big,bulky,ugly,needs charging,and rather delicate,go for the Polar,in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Software is fine. Polar Pro Trainer 5 I think. I find the infra red connection a pain in the backside as my laptop doesn't have one (polar will sell you one for about 50 bucks - I got an unbranded one for about a tenner on ebay - which is horribly unreliable but thats not the polar's fault). Apart from that, the software is pretty darn impressive, maps out the profiles for all the routes I do, plus you can program your interval sessions etc.. into the unit itself which is handy. Does everything I want and a lot more besides.

Advertisement