Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me! Baby names!

Options
  • 15-04-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi, looking for help with a name please! My boy/girl twins will be born this day next week via c-section, and we have a girl's name but the boy's is proving VERY difficult for us to settle on! Yesterday we came up with 'Cúan', meaning 'little hound/wolf', and we both like it till my boyfriend's brother came up with a novel way to make fun of it, and I am so paranoid about my little son ever coming up against any unnecessary slagging (!) and would love some help here -- what do you think of this name? Do any of you have this name and if so do you like being called it?! If you don't like it, maybe you have some suggestions?! It is stressing us out at this stage and I am sick of our families curling their lips or laughing at our every suggestion! Many thanks for any replies! They will be greatly appreciated!! xx

Niamh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Name your baby whatever you want to call it, don't listen to your family because at the end of the day, it's your baby and your choice. I like Cuan (no fada on my OLD keyboard)...
    I think it's cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

.... just my personal view ....

Scenario:
    Think of 25 years hence ..... you son is living in London ....Friday night orders a pizza. The pizza company enquire "What is your name, sir"?

Now if your name is John or Paul then the answer to the question is easy.

If you have some rare Irish name then you may find yourself constantly spelling and explaining the pronounciation!

I've been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I like Cuan (no fada on my OLD keyboard)...
    I think it's cute.

Try ctrl+Alt+vowel to get a fada.

E.g. ctrl+Alt+i = í

Slán

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

TBH that's going to happen internationally with most Irish names. It happens with "normal" "everyday" names too. Plus if Cúan has issues then he can always answer "John".

OP, name your children whatever you want. Family will accept any choice you make once the babies are actually born and named. As for being teased, kids will always come up with some way to tease a kid if they want, no matter what their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

Thank you both for your replies! Dewsbury: Very good point, and valid, but I don't think we should dumb-down Irish names for foreigners... I have lived in Wales and had to spell my name numerous times and people still had trouble but I didn't care because I loved the fact that it is Irish and keeping our Irish names at least somewhat keeps our language a little alive (!)... I know I'm presuming our son will have the same view!... but hm... from the Irish perspective, what do you all think? The sound of it, etc... ?

• Advertisement

Daiixi: another very good point! That's exactly what my boyfriend said: if other kids want to make fun, they will make fun no matter what your name is! That is definitely true... thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Its a nice name, but I prefer 'Cal', its my brothers name and I adore it and it suits him I think because its such a gentle name as is he.

Cuan (not sure how to pronounce it) nice to and as said here kids are kids and they will find something to slag each other about regardless so I wouldn't worry to much about that. If you really like it I would go for it. Its not like your calling him Jesus or Elvis or something, incidentially there's a kid in my daughters creche who is called Elvis:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Just checked with 23 year old brother said the name asked if he would slag it. He couldn't think of anything. Your safe enough, good luck and cogratulations. I think it's a gorgeous name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Its a nice name, but I prefer 'Cal', its my brothers name and I adore it and it suits him I think because its such a gentle name as is he.

Cuan (not sure how to pronounce it) nice to and as said here kids are kids and they will find something to slag each other about regardless so I wouldn't worry to much about that. If you really like it I would go for it. Its not like your calling him Jesus or Elvis or something, incidentially there's a kid in my daughters creche who is called Elvis:rolleyes:
    'cal' would be callum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

My OH is English, but I always had my heart set on an Irish name, we called our son Tadhg, the English side had problems with it to begin with but they all got the hang of it fairly quick.....call your babies whatever you want, everyone will fall in line with you!

BTW, Cuan is a lovely name!

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much for your replies! You are very helpful! Looptheloop that is amazing because I wanted to call him 'Cal' but my boyfriend doesn't like it! I had my heart absolutely SET on it!! So that is a major coincidence! I adore Cal and I thought it went really well with our daughter-to-be's name; Líadan. I just loved it. Unfortunately, I cannot force my fella to like it! I don't really know why he doesn't... But anyway, that's a mad coincidence! Thanks all for your opinions and advice! xx PS I'll let you know what we settle on when the twins are born next Tues! xx

davey180 wrote: »
    'cal' would be callum?

No, just Cal.. My mum loved the movie Cal, so decided that was going to be his name..

NiamhEile wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your replies! You are very helpful! Looptheloop that is amazing because I wanted to call him 'Cal' but my boyfriend doesn't like it! I had my heart absolutely SET on it!! So that is a major coincidence! I adore Cal and I thought it went really well with our daughter-to-be's name; Líadan. I just loved it. Unfortunately, I cannot force my fella to like it! I don't really know why he doesn't... But anyway, that's a mad coincidence! Thanks all for your opinions and advice! xx PS I'll let you know what we settle on when the twins are born next Tues! xx

Best of luck, keep us posted.. After the birth you may get your way with the name, your OH will be so chuffed with you and your babies, he will be eating right out of your hand..

heheh maybe you're right! I hope so! After all, I'm the one whose belly is stretched beyond all recognition and who's been carrying them for months on end and had TERRIBLE horrific morning sickness!! Perhaps it should be my choice alone!! hehe!! Thanks again xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I remember i had picked loads of names when i was pregnant..i had lots picked for a girl, but when she was born we settled on a name that we hadnt even discussed! It just came to me, and it suited her!
    I love both cúan and Cal...both gorgeous, i remember i fell in love with a guy one night (never saw him again - i was 18!) and his name was Cal (short for callaghan) Loved that name ever since..
    Looptheloop may be right, your boyfriend might agree to anything after seeing what you went through!
    Best of luck OP! and Congrats!
    If you get a spare moment, which is doubtful! come back to us and tell us what you named him...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I think it is a lovely name, Just go with what you like:)

I named my son and because its not a "popular" name, I got a few comments from people, But me and the husband liked it so that was all that mattered to us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends on the circs. If he goes to a Gaelscoil, Cúán (two fadas, yes? Cúan means harbour, I think...) will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Cuan (with no fadas) means harbour. Of course, 'coon' is a racial slur in the States.

Advertisement