Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

axel stands positioning

Options
  • 15-04-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I want to swap my front/rear wheels, and to do so I obviously need to remove 2 wheels at one time from the car. I have a pair of axel stands. Just wondering what's considered the safest place to position these, so they bear the weight of the car when I remove the jack? The car manual only mentions the jacking points, but since the jack will be there, I can't put the stand there too!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

When I use axle stands I put them beside the jack, which is all that can be done.

When swapping tyres back to front I use 2 jacks and don't bother with the stands as I won't be under the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

youre ment to swap tyres diagonally anywaya, so unless youve 4 axle stands youre out of luck.

just use the spare(or borrow one) it will take twice as long, but its easier/safer, especially if you are not sure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

diagonally?! Are you sure? Doing that will reverse the direction of the tyre... I don't think they are directional tyres but it still doesn't seem right to do it that way :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

kona wrote: »
    youre ment to swap tyres diagonally anywaya, so unless youve 4 axle stands youre out of luck.

Although this is true, with alot of cars now with directional tyres changing diagonally isnt possible, well not unless you have a tyre removing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

HJL wrote: »
    Although this is true, with alot of cars now with directional tyres changing diagonally isnt possible, well not unless you have a tyre removing machine.

sorry mine aint directional, and twas a bit of a brainfart, but yes you could just use the spare, less hassle, i HATE axle stands, dont trust them at all:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nuttzyy

Use a trolley jack to jack the front of the car up using the front jacking point, then put in your axel stands under the puncture jacking points?

kona wrote: »
    could just use the spare, less hassle

Using the spare is probably the safest method actually, bit slower, but as Kona points out if your tyres are directional then you can rotated them properly.

Edit:
    Just to add actually, if your current rear wheels arent balanced then the tyre place will need to take them off again to do that, so if you need to get them balanced then your just wasting time rotating them in the first place as i think my local tyre place charge €15 for two wheel balance reguardless of whether they were already on the front or they took them from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think the rears are already balanced, they've been on the car since new (the car is only a yr old)... And there are balancing "weights" on the rear alloys - so I'd say I'm good to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

HJL wrote: »
    Just to add actually, if your current rear wheels arent balanced
    Why wouldn't they be? All 4 wheels should be balanced.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they be? All 4 wheels should be balanced.

Well the first time i had the tyres changed around i needed them balanced again at the front (the ones that were on the rear) as the steering judder i got at anything above 55 MPH was unbearable.

That was with the wheels that came on the car when i got it, so maybe they were on a while and the weights came off with potholes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement