Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with port forwarding xbox 360

• 15-04-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, i have been trying all evening to get my xbox 360's NAT set to open properly, help would be greatly appreciated.

Around 1 month ago i noticed whenever i tried to a xbox live game of Halo 3 i got a message saying "Match making may be slow, please try changing your NAT settings, go to bungie.net for more info." (Note: this happened when i was both in a party and not.)

I had thought that my NAT was set to open and sure enough when i went to test on xbox live dashboard it said "NAT: Open." So i dismissed the problem as A problem with Halo 3.

Then a couple of days later i was going to play a game of CoD4 with my friend and i get a message "unable to connect to player", i asked my friend if his NAT was set to open and he said it was set to moderate but said he had never had any problems before. I tried connecting to some other people in CoD4 (random friends), and i kept getting that message still and he was not.

Now it was really starting to annoy me i was frequently unable to connect to people in CoD4 and i kept getting a "restarting search" message in Halo 3, as well as the other message.

So then i tried doing something about i set my ip on xbox to static and went and tried to open ports for halo 3 that did not work, when i changed the ip address static i still got the message "your nat is not set to open blablabla" in Halo 3. When i tested it on xbox dashboard it DID say "strict". I was sure i had opened the ports however (Note: My modem is UNCP enabled)

I then tried making my xbox DMZ enabled, it still did not work and said strict:

So now a couple of weeks on i am still having problems. Please SOMEONE help me! :confused:

(Note: My modem is a Belkin modem/router, my ISP is ericom)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Why dont you try chaning your nat settings to moderated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

I'm pretty sure Belkin use port 88 to access the router through an IE.

Check this page, i don't see any belkins there!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/homenetworking/equipment.htm

I know i turfed out mine and got a standard eircom netopia cos of this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm is all you really need for your nat settings. Just select the specific model of belkan router, then go to X (for xbox 360) and it will give you the correct settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

TheDonMan wrote: »
    Hi, i have been trying all evening to get my xbox 360's NAT set to open properly, help would be greatly appreciated.

Around 1 month ago i noticed whenever i tried to a xbox live game of Halo 3 i got a message saying "Match making may be slow, please try changing your NAT settings, go to bungie.net for more info." (Note: this happened when i was both in a party and not.)

I had thought that my NAT was set to open and sure enough when i went to test on xbox live dashboard it said "NAT: Open." So i dismissed the problem as A problem with Halo 3.

Then a couple of days later i was going to play a game of CoD4 with my friend and i get a message "unable to connect to player", i asked my friend if his NAT was set to open and he said it was set to moderate but said he had never had any problems before. I tried connecting to some other people in CoD4 (random friends), and i kept getting that message still and he was not.

Now it was really starting to annoy me i was frequently unable to connect to people in CoD4 and i kept getting a "restarting search" message in Halo 3, as well as the other message.

So then i tried doing something about i set my ip on xbox to static and went and tried to open ports for halo 3 that did not work, when i changed the ip address static i still got the message "your nat is not set to open blablabla" in Halo 3. When i tested it on xbox dashboard it DID say "strict". I was sure i had opened the ports however (Note: My modem is UNCP enabled)

natck6.th.jpg

I then tried making my xbox DMZ enabled, it still did not work and said strict:

dmzsa6.th.jpg

So now a couple of weeks on i am still having problems. Please SOMEONE help me! :confused:

(Note: My modem is a Belkin modem/router, my ISP is ericom)

follow the guide here:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

click on the model numer of your belkin router then click on Xbox Live 360 section.

once you follow the instructions you should be laughing. I also have a belkin wireless router and it worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

Thanks for your replies.

The guide i used to set a static ip/open ports of my modem was from portforward.com specifically for my modem a Belkin F5D8633-4. That however did not work - which is why i tried the DMZ thing. Perhaps the problem is that i still have UPnP enabled but i am afraid that if a change that it will affect the PC and Laptop connected via. wireless - is this really the case?

I'm pretty sure Belkin use port 88 to access the router through an IE.

Check this page, i don't see any belkins there!

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm

I know i turfed out mine and got a standard eircom netopia cos of this.

Hmm, does this mean that i can't use forwarding for my xbox 360 with a belkin modem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Look for a firmware update. If UPNP is enabled, the ports should be mapped automatically should they not?

The DMZ means you shouldn't have to forward ports for it to work. If it isn't working the DMZ, it just won't work so look for a firmware update. When I had problems with ports for torrents, I threw my IP into the DMZ to make sure I could get out and the port was opened immediately.

Disabling UPNP on the router will cause all devices/software requiring it to fail to work properly. It shouldn't affect normal Internet browsing though AFAIK. Didn't for me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm on BT and I put mine in DMZ to get NAT open, worked fine.

www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk has some good info AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

How are you connected to live, Ethernet, wireless or ics (through a computer)?

brim4brim wrote: »
    Look for a firmware update. If UPNP is enabled, the ports should be mapped automatically should they not?

The DMZ means you shouldn't have to forward ports for it to work. If it isn't working the DMZ, it just won't work so look for a firmware update. When I had problems with ports for torrents, I threw my IP into the DMZ to make sure I could get out and the port was opened immediately.

Disabling UPNP on the router will cause all devices/software requiring it to fail to work properly. It shouldn't affect normal Internet browsing though AFAIK. Didn't for me anyway.

Tried searching for firmware update with my modems homepage, but it found nothing.
    How are you connected to live, Ethernet, wireless or ics (through a computer)?

I'm connected via. a Ethernet cable.

Pretty sure you're not getting anywhere cos it's a belkin model that uses port 88.

• Advertisement

Sorry for bumping this thread again, but i'm still having the problem.
    D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're not getting anywhere cos it's a belkin model that uses port 88.

So is there anyway i can get round this, or am i stuck with a strict NAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Look for an option marked DMZ and entery our IP address there if you can find it. Router might not have that option. Note only add it when playing on 360 as it might open you up to security vulnerabilties so read up on what DMZ is if you want to use it all the time.

It'll be good for at least checking can you get by the problem by using this option though.

TheDonMan wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping this thread again, but i'm still having the problem.

So is there anyway i can get round this, or am i stuck with a strict NAT?

I have a belkin wireless router and as much as i searched google for fixes I just couldn't get around it.

In the end I just used an eircom netopia that was lying around idle in work.

There has to be something you can do though...???

Feckin Belkin! :mad:

D3UC3 J3 wrote: »
    I have a belkin wireless router and as much as i searched google for fixes I just couldn't get around it.

In the end I just used an eircom netopia that was lying around idle in work.

There has to be something you can do though...???

Feckin Belkin! :mad:

Yeah, it's safe to say i will never buy another belkin product again. Looks like i am just gonna have to put up with the strict NAT. It doesn't affect all games...too bad for me then :(

+1 on the belkin veto!

Why don't you see if one of your mates / family has a non belkin wireless router and swap with them?

If they don't have xbox 360 that is! :D

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i was off school for the weekend and decided i would have one last shot at fixing it and IT WORKED!!!

Thanks to everyone for their help, if you were having the same problem as me here's what to do.

- Make sure you have UPNP disabled

- Don't bother with portfowarding use DMZ

And that's basicly it, i think the problem which i was having was having upnp enabled. Thanks again to everyone, now to go play some GTA online/ Halo 3. :cool:

Advertisement