Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to actually get good at this game online?

• 15-04-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Ok I suck, and not just suck in an average sort of way, I'm God awful. Some guy shoots, I get disorientated and start shooting at anything. I am constantly getting knifed, and even though I have had a few lucky games where I might kill a few people, I generally spend my time wimpering in some dark corner readying myself for a sneak attack.

The problem is the damn guns.....When the hell can I get hold of those red dot guns?

So bascially I need some advice to make me the ultimate COD4 killing machine.

Signed
    A very angry call of duty online person.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

you have to level up to get the reddot sights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Well for a start keep moving and don't be afraid of the enemy. Always try and reload before rounding a corner so you wont be left waiting when you meet an oncoming enemy. Avoid going near cars, they explode out of now where. Try and keep off the middle of the street, snipers will pop your head off and finally practice, practice,practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

When someone kills you, watch how they did it and how they move, use cover... etc. Even better, if you have time, sit out a game and spectate instead, watch the guys highest on the scoreboard. You'll pick up a lot of tips that way.

Technically, try and get a good framerate (turn off some graphics if you need to), but keep the resolution as high as possible, especially if youre ever going to be playing as a sniper. Keep your ping low. Use a good mouse, and bind the knife to one of the mouse buttons.

Practice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Best advice i can possibly give

Join a clan , doesnt have to be serious or Pr0Gamer clan, just a relaxed group :)

You'll quickly learn from being on ventrillo and teamspeak with your teammates and theyll help you along greatly

Trust me, best way to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

What you really need to do at the start is just run around like a headless chicken. It will get you used to controls and alike, yes you will die, alot, but it's the best thing to do at the start. Then after a while when you're starting to get the hang of things do what the rest of the lads are saying.
    But for now HEADLESS CHICKEN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

At the end of the day its all about practice, Ive only recently gotten to 55 so I'm by no means an expert but In the time its taken to get there Ive went from whimpering in the corner to being a reasonably competent player. And make Sure you enjoy the kills you do make because thats what will keep you coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Getting good at COD4 is the same as getting good at any other game.

Learn each weapons traits and utilise them.

The assault weapons in COD4 have small radiating recoil patterns with a small raise and medium damage for the most part. They all carry what would be medium damage in the game, meaning you need 3 or 4 direct hits to get a kill but are capable of doing this in a single burst.

The m16 will kill most people with a three round burst, if you are patient and take your time aiming you will nearly always pop a headshot and kill off.

The m4 is a great spray weapon, small 10 round bursts can easily take 1 or 2 targets at short medium distances.

The ak47 has a horrific upwards recoil, best used by tapping the trigger. Good damage, but not for starters.

The g3 and m14 are basically long range shots, if you are not comfortable with accurate shooting don't bother.

The smgs are basically split into 2 types, the short sprayer uzi, mac 10 and the small assult rifles, ak47su, mp5 and p90. The short is best used with a sprint boost/uav/health boost. Run around, try to get in behind and when you spot someone run at them and get in there face. The other guns are really just cheap versions of the assult rifles, except the p90 which is a great weapon. Feel free to spray with it as the 100 round mag and high ROF help when in sticky situations and the complete lack of recoil leaves dead bodys behind. Between 4-6 hits are needed to kill most people.

You should use the LMG's the same as they are used in real life, plonk yourself in a defensive position and wait. The second you spot someone, open up in short 3 second bursts. Feel free to follow them behind walls if they run. If you find people keep hiding in certain buildings(campers) fire a short spray across where they could be. If you see lines showing up on your crosshairs, move back to that spot as it means you hit somebody. I really think a lot of people playing don't realise the utility of LMG's at removing campers. There is no real effective defensive spot in COD4 if nades and LMGs are used properly. For kills 1-3 hits are needed, more from behind cover.

Snipers are very handy, its important to find a spot that provides a limited field of view because when your scoped your peripheral vision is removed. After 1 or two kills, bring your pistol out and move. The game is very fluid and safe spots don't stay safe for very long. Also remember that nearly every gun in COD4 is capable of hitting you as easy as you hit them, providing they know where you are. If you see somebody aim at you, pop a shot and run. Most times if you don't you will die. Damm pesky LMG's.

Adding to that you need to know about perks, perks make or break the game.

The top choices seem to be, health, damage, bullet penetration, martyrdom and last stand.

As said above you need to stay out of view, keep to the walls since it means you really only have to look 1 way. Keep mobile as well, after killing start moving again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

cool post above there mate

im playing since it came out, only level 30 but i dont play it that much, but that post covered loads, well done

one thing i was told at the start is dont be afraid to die. Now as a result, i die an awful lot in games, but i often kill a lot too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

That was great advice from Cuddlesworth there!

My main tip, is if like me you tend to prefare the Sniping weapons, be aware that some levels aren't designed for sniping. I'm not saying you won't get a good few kills, but it might be better to use an assault or LMG weapon in certain levels, such as the one with the narrow rooms (can't think of it's name right now).

And when sniping, plant you're claymore's around you wisely. They don't necessarily have to be up your arse. In the levels where you snipe from a building, place them outside the door and keep your ear honed in to hear when they explode. When it does, check (cautiously) to make sure there's nobody coming for you. It's best then to find a new sniping spot, as the enemy will be aware of your position.

Oh and on Shipment, use the x3 frag perk, the greater explosive damage perk and the matyrdom perk. When you spawn fling your frags in the eemy direction on the map, then set about shooting. Everyone will hate you, but I've scored over 80 on this level, mostly by doing this.

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Oh and on Shipment, use the x3 frag perk, the greater explosive damage perk and the matyrdom perk. When you spawn fling your frags in the eemy direction on the map, then set about shooting. Everyone will hate you, but I've scored over 80 on this level, mostly by doing this.

OR you could learn to aim and come top of the scoreboard by shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Haha, this is how you become a noob, not any type of good player.

Don't use noob perks, and you'll get better and better.

All you 'purists', eh? If it's in the game, I'll use it. It's not like it's cheating, anyway!

When you're playing team games it makes sense. Far easier to clear a group then with you're gun. And when they're gone, you have to use your gun.

I played the level once with 6 players using this tactic. It was feckin' mental. Little grendae inicators all the time.

I played the level once with 6 players using this tactic. It was feckin' mental. Little grendae inicators all the time.

Yeah sounds great :rolleyes:

Wow. Unnecessarry sarcasm on a forum. You're so funny! And original. I mean, I've never seen anyone do it before. How do you think of it, eh? You're really got this interweb thing down, my friend. You should be proud.

Anyway, to the more sensible people, that was my advice for a noob on Shipment. It wasnt my advice for everyone on every level. The extra kills this gives will help you level up and get your hands on some better weapons, at least.

I had left some other decent advice other than that, but there are just so many prats out there, waiting to pounce, eh? Ah well.

From the layout I'm pretty sure shipment was meant for 1v1, max 2v2. Saying that, its just funny on the 50 player servers.

As for nades, if you want to get kills and you have very good radar awareness(can't believe nobody pointed that out as missing from the above post) you can get a amazing amount of kills. Which is why i personally dislike the by 3 nade perk. I do think it should have been placed in the third perk slot and limited to 2 nades. But thats a matter of personal preference and the thread is about getting good so I would recommend it in order to practice weeding people out of buildings and judging spawn rushs.

If you wanted to be a real prick you could practise and be one of the lads with the nade launcher who can take out 50% of the enemy team at spawn at the very beginning of S&D games on certain maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

pfft, I'm level 3 prestige and I use the 3 grenade perk, does that make me a noob? :D

KamiKazi wrote: »

Stop belittleing people, there are many great players out there who after many years are only above average shots. Instead they are amazing strategists and use the maps and predictability of their opponents to their advantage. Getting caught by nades a lot would be a good sign of the former.
    Holsten wrote: »
    Haha, this is how you become a noob, not any type of good player.

Don't use noob perks, and you'll get better and better.

Choosing to ignore better perks and loadouts on maps where they are arguably superior is tantamount to crippling your game. For example, Wetwork is a great example of a good player decimating a great player by nades.

I wasn't try to belittle him I was pointing out the fact that spamming nades is the wrong way to get better.

A person new would be better off learning the choke points, where to aim etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

ShaneU wrote: »
    pfft, I'm level 3 prestige and I use the 3 grenade perk, does that make me a noob? :D

Yes, yes it does!

Yeah sounds great :rolleyes:

nice sarcasim +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

I would give you advice but it would mean you giving up your social life and/or sleep:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Thats fine for levelling up, but its not going to improve your aim is it?

Spectate good players on a fairly quiet server, where you can first pick out good camp spots (yes I am ok with noobs camping) and later learn the maps well enough to know where to be pointing your gun when you are in a particular place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

It's fairly simple, as with all things, just thing about what you are doing.

It's fairly simple, as with all things, just thing about what you are doing.
    yea, just thing about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Thinking helps too ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Thats easy to say if you've got good pings and and a fast system. With a lesser connection and hardware, its impossible to be as accurate as those with better connections and hardware. Usually the latter will complain if people use any perks to level out this inequality in response time, in a game.

If you want to play a certain way don't play on public servers where its allowed. Even more annoying is setting up a server and letting everyone join then making up rules and kicking people who wander in not knowing the "rule of the day". Some clans seem to get a power trip out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

BostonB wrote: »
    Thats easy to say if you've got good pings and and a fast system. With a lesser connection and hardware, its impossible to be as accurate as those with better connections and hardware.

it is annoying when your shooting someone for a second and when they kill you it shows that you didnt even fire a shot on the kill cam.

Its also annoying shooting someone but missing due to them lagging across your screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ToughyIRE wrote: »
    Its also annoying shooting someone but missing due to them lagging across your screen.

My dire connection doesn't seem to stop you killing me again and again and ....:D

• Advertisement

haha nice to know, next time join my team!:D

Advertisement