Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to actually get good at this game online?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

mehfesto2 wrote: »

I had left some other decent advice other than that, but there are just so many prats out there, waiting to pounce, eh? Ah well.

We all have done it at some point in shipment. It is a great technique and when you have the enemy cornered they are doomed.

If you really want to finish them off, get the rpg hand grip ( means only the regular 1 nade) and get into position close to the enemy postion, and then if you manage to get a airstrike then you will probably be able end up getting a streak before inevitably getting killed and having to run all the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sohara

This thread is amazing, especially loved that part about the pro nades. Keep it up.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I used to get shot allot in the beginning but then I just said **** it and ran around like a mad man and it worked. Don't stop moving, once you fire your gun, move again everyone knows where you are.

Fear only makes sense in the real world, don't bother with self preservation just go for the kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

AK47 with red dot sight will sort you right out. If your playing free-for-all try using the extra health perk too, and the deep impact or double fire. They'll help you stay alive for longer, and make your shots more effects/allow you to have more shots. Keep moving around too. If your sitting camping, then you'll won't get to see people very often and won't improve. You need to jump into the action even if it means you get a little raped at first....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I spent some time yesterday with a silenced P90, Bandolier, Juggernaut and Last Stand and it was almost too easy. Hadn't given silenced weapons the opportunity they deserved, but it's great to be able to sneak around more freely without worry of being shot whilst recovering by someone who's seen the firefight you just had with your now dead opponent on their radar.

Also: now that I've unlocked the extra frag grenades perk, I'm not so sure I want it that much :p Useful though for lobbing it on the far side of a corner you say an emeny walking into. Managed a few speculative kills like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Some games will kick you for constant grenade attacks. I find it handy if you get stuck with the other team spawn camping. Smoke and a few grenades can give you a little space to get out of the trap.

On the maps with lots snipers and campers it can keep their heads down will you get through the chokes points and into the rear of the other team. When my pings are bad I do this as my shooting accuracy is terrible with low pings. Of course people with fast rigs and connections hate when you do this, as it levels the playing field a bit.

The P90 is deadly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

Ok I suck, and not just suck in an average sort of way, I'm God awful. Some guy shoots, I get disorientated and start shooting at anything. I am constantly getting knifed, and even though I have had a few lucky games where I might kill a few people, I generally spend my time wimpering in some dark corner readying myself for a sneak attack.

The problem is the damn guns.....When the hell can I get hold of those red dot guns?

So bascially I need some advice to make me the ultimate COD4 killing machine.

Signed
    A very angry call of duty online person.

get 25 kills with a gun to get the red dot sight. get 75 for a silencer. and 150 for an acog scope (which in my opinion is rubbish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

brennaldo wrote: »
    get 25 kills with a gun to get the red dot sight. get 75 for a silencer. and 150 for an acog scope (which in my opinion is rubbish)
    Agreed, the acog is absolute pants.

Thirded. Hate the acog. So annoying when you run out of ammo and you pickup a gun with it.

It's hilarious fitting it to an M60 :D

• Advertisement

Kharn wrote: »
    It's hilarious fitting it to an M60 :D

I find the LMG's pretty much useless except for taking down choppers. Some people seem to be very accurate with them. I can't hit anything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Kharn wrote: »
    I spent some time yesterday with a silenced P90, Bandolier, Juggernaut and Last Stand and it was almost too easy. Hadn't given silenced weapons the opportunity they deserved, but it's great to be able to sneak around more freely without worry of being shot whilst recovering by someone who's seen the firefight you just had with your now dead opponent on their radar.

Also: now that I've unlocked the extra frag grenades perk, I'm not so sure I want it that much :p Useful though for lobbing it on the far side of a corner you say an emeny walking into. Managed a few speculative kills like that.

I used to hate playing bloc until i started sneaking around with a silenced ak 47u and a uav jammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭ToughyIRE

Mweelrea wrote: »
    I used to hate playing bloc until i started sneaking around with a silenced ak 47u and a uav jammer.

cool! sounds good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

BostonB wrote: »
    I find the LMG's pretty much useless except for taking down choppers. Some people seem to be very accurate with them. I can't hit anything with them.

LMG acuracy is increased by using the Grip perk. It is pretty amazing, use the RPD LMG with Grip and you will see the difference. Add stopping power and extreme conditioning and you can run and gun with an LMG :pac: (not as effectively as with an MP5 or mini-uzi etc but still great.)

I think its just that my connection is so laggy I stick to the spray and pray weapons. I find it hard to be accurate with any weapon. Have to get in close and hit hard.

Are you just holding down the fire button or clicking every time you want a bullet to go? Click-and-spray will be wildly inaccurate where as a wee pause between shots (mid to long distance) will make for a much more accurate volley of shots and may result in a quicker kill and less chance of dying on reload against the next guy :) Short range, it's more forgiving as the bullets don't have the chance to get as wide of the mark.

Might be ways of improving your ping too, look at what's running on your machine and check what's using network traffic with your firewall.

It happens like this, you put a sniper rifle on someone who isn't moving. Fire 3 or 4 shots at them, seemingly on target, they eventually realise someone is shooting at them, and they kill me, or maybe my 3rd or 4th shot kills them. Its the same with all weapons so I usually depend on weight of fire to kill people. Which means P90 close up. Basically it feels like your reaction times are off, you lose almost every knife fight etc. Its not every match, most matches though, occasionally I get a match where it doesn't happen and it all just works perfectly. That usually happens more the further off peak you are.

I don't actually have much stuff on the PC, and I have all automatic updates/scans set to manual. But any tips's please share.

BostonB wrote: »
    It happens like this, you put a sniper rifle on someone who isn't moving. Fire 3 or 4 shots at them, seemingly on target, they eventually realise someone is shooting at them, and they kill me, or maybe my 3rd or 4th shot kills them. Its the same with all weapons so I usually depend on weight of fire to kill people. Which means P90 close up. Basically it feels like your reaction times are off, you lose almost every knife fight etc. Its not every match, most matches though, occasionally I get a match where it doesn't happen and it all just works perfectly. That usually happens more the further off peak you are.

I don't actually have much stuff on the PC, and I have all automatic updates/scans set to manual. But any tips's please share.

Speedtest.com > check your internet connection speed and post here.

If you have a 1mb connection then your game upload will be twice as slow as if you had a 2MB.

I used to play COD4 with a 1mb and it took ages to load and sometmes there was lag and this effected play. I switched to 2Mb and the upload was very quick instant improvement and on some servers i could play for hours with no lag.

I dont know if your game improves with internet speed and i would be interested to know, but a good connection reduces lag and increase game upload speed. As i have only 2mb speed I would be dissappointed to discover that 6 mb or 8mb players get off shots quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

With out going into much detail i can give you one piece of advice that will most likely cut down on half of your deaths.

Don't run around corners, have patience!
    So simple but yet so many people do it!

With out going into much detail i can give you one piece of advice that will most likely cut down on half of your deaths.

Don't run around corners, have patience!
    So simple but yet so many people do it!

"Walk Dont run", corners are made to be got around.

Even sticking your head aound one could get it blown off, Running can actually save your life as you woosh by the sniper only sees a blur.

Should you loiter around corners? Probably should as you could also use it as cover to shoot from, but ideally you should use your stun grenades as you enter rooms or enter onto street's.

• Advertisement

Snipers rarely cover corners, even so if they miss the first shot they'd hit you after.

If you're running around a corner and someone appears in front of you not running, you'd be dead before you can get your gun out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

r3nu4l wrote: »
    LMG acuracy is increased by using the Grip perk. It is pretty amazing, use the RPD LMG with Grip and you will see the difference.
    Yeah, once you're only using single-shots or very short bursts, a RPD with a grip is basically 100% accurate as far as you can see. No problem sniping with one, provided you can see what you're trying to shoot.
    Sort the servers by ping and try to play on the ones that have the lowest. Make sure there's nobody on your broadband (d/l torrents at the same time etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah, once you're only using single-shots or very short bursts, a RPD with a grip is basically 100% accurate as far as you can see. No problem sniping with one, provided you can see what you're trying to shoot.

I was going to mention that I've sniped with it but thought that some people wouldn't believe me! Yup, the accuracy is amazing and to be honest you only need very short bursts when you are using grip, none of these prolonged bursts of fire that grind on the ears :D

I found a new toy now though, full auto g3.....
    Well full auto for the most part, usually i can get 10 shots off in auto before i loose aim.
    Normal g3 is still brilliant.
    You need to be fairly used to the game to use it on standard but in hardcore it rocks for most people.

I found a new toy now though, full auto g3.....
    Well full auto for the most part, usually i can get 10 shots off in auto before i loose aim.
    Normal g3 is still brilliant.
    You need to be fairly used to the game to use it on standard but in hardcore it rocks for most people.

yay scrolling is fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Has anyone ever been kicked for scrolling? Its fun with a pistol too, like the M9!

doubt most people wouldn't even know what scrolling is anyway, unless you did to an admin how knows. its frowned upon though.

I only really play on my clan's servers and they don't seem to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Yea i did it a while back on the clan x server when everyone hopped on,in last stand and they always commented after;"WTF" :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement