Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying from england but finance still on car

Options
  • 15-04-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,this is my first post on any forum so go easy. :)

i rang up a guy in england about a car hes selling . hes had it 4 months now needs to sell it, he says he still owes the hire purchase company money on it . he says i make the cheque out to the hire purchase company then when its cleared,the car is mine.

im really tempted,should my head rule my heart on this one?

1. anyone ever done this?
    2. if i just pay him cash will it be a problem here in ireland if its still got money owed on it in the uk.

thanx for any comments in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have never bought a car in the UK but I would thread very careful and ask a lot more questions.

Can he get you a statement from the hire purchase company with the outstanding balance? If he says no, then ask why not?

Does he have all the correct car documentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joeperry wrote: »
    hi everyone,this is my first post on any forum so go easy. :)

i rang up a guy in england about a car hes selling . hes had it 4 months now needs to sell it, he says he still owes the hire purchase company money on it . he says i make the cheque out to the hire purchase company then when its cleared,the car is mine.

im really tempted,should my head rule my heart on this one?

1. anyone ever done this?
    2. if i just pay him cash will it be a problem here in ireland if its still got money owed on it in the uk.

thanx for any comments in advance :)

I would not cut corners on this. The fact that he told you there was outstanding finance might mean he is genuine but be alert anyway.

I would not pay him cash into his hand, if he only has the car 4 months then I presume under UK law like Irish law the car still belongs to the finance company so legally it is not his to sell.

I would make the draft out to the finance company, arrange to meet up with the seller and both of you go to the finance company together and pay off the HP there and then.

Other than that I would look elsewhere, there are plenty of cars over there without outstanding finance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Be very careful.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago where some guy bought an Irish car from an Irish guy in Ireland with outstanding finance and had nothing but problems. I'd say any potential problems would be 100 times worse for you because the car/owner/HP company/banks/etc/etc/etc are based in England.

I'd avoid this tbh. There are plenty of other s/h cars out there ... be patient and the right one will come around again soon enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd be cautious. Used car market is a buyers market both here and in the UK due to the economic downturn so something better is bound to turn up.

It could also be a scam.

If they're that keen to sell then they will find a way to clear the finance first.

Personally, I'd walk away. Not what you wanted to hear though methinks.

Advertisement