Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac Disease

• 15-04-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there are any other coeliacs out there? I was diagnosed just over two years ago and I'm still finding it a bit of a pain in the proverbial!!

Also...it can be hard to find places that cater for coelics. Obviously most expensive restaurants will work something out for you most of the time but I personally find it hard to find somewhere to eat when I'm in town shopping. There are a couple of gems in Galway (Delite I love you!!)

I have alot of anger management issues about how companys treat coeliacs (Mars for instance :mad: )

Any thoughts or comments...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I am not a coeliac, but I sympathise. I lived with a friend in college who was and I did most of the cooking.

Acapulco will do gluten-free dishes on request - that's a Mexican place on South Great George's Street - delicious and good value. Most places will cook for you if you ring in advance...but as you know, dropping in any old where for lunch is a distant memory for you. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It can be done. Most of the low-carbers are following diets that are pretty much gluten free.

Just be ruthless when eating about about discarding bread, buns, coating and any sort of dodgy dressing. Carry some tabasco and olive oil, or a couple of sachets of real mayo, as an instant dressing. Meat, chicken, fish, eggs, salad and vegetables should all be fine. Insist on sauces and dressings on the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I find myself sometimes jealous (yeah I know this is weird) of the coeliac intolerance. It makes it difficult almost, not to eat really healthily. Grains suck IMO.

When I'm eating out it'll usually be something like steak and a side salad if I was in say, eddie rockets. Chinese food should be okay once the meat isn't battered, I used to work in a chinese restaurant and I can't recall them putting flour in the sauces, only potato starch. You can get any crêpe from Lemon on Gallette, which is buckwheat. If I'm forced to have crêpes (which I sometimes am by the girlfriend), I'll choose the gallette because of its lack of gluten.
    EileenG wrote: »
    and any sort of dodgy dressing. Carry some tabasco and olive oil, or a couple of sachets of real mayo, as an instant dressing.
    Just wondering what's this about, is there gluten in dressings? Why would people do that?

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    I find myself sometimes jealous (yeah I know this is weird) of the coeliac intolerance. It makes it difficult almost, not to eat really healthily. Grains suck IMO.

When I'm eating out it'll usually be something like steak and a side salad if I was in say, eddie rockets. Chinese food should be okay once the meat isn't battered, I used to work in a chinese restaurant and I can't recall them putting flour in the sauces, only potato starch. You can get any crêpe from Lemon on Gallette, which is buckwheat. If I'm forced to have crêpes (which I sometimes am by the girlfriend), I'll choose the gallette because of its lack of gluten.

Just wondering what's this about, is there gluten in dressings? Why would people do that?

Where did you find an Eddie Rockets that would serve you steak?!

Also you don't seem to understand what coeliac disease is. Most of the foods you listed above could not be eaten by a coeliac, because of cross-contamination. Most processed products contain something with gluten in it. Eating as a coeliac is very difficult.

Most of the foods you listed above could not be eaten by a coeliac, because of cross-contamination.
    Could you elaborate on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

food from chinese restraunts can be eaten as it doesnt contain wheat flour.

Could you elaborate on this please?

Sure. Cross-contamination is the transfer of micro-organisms from one place, or food, to another. In other words, just the tiniest speck of gluten can bring on 24 hours (up to 2 weeks in worst case scenario btw) of upset tummy, irritability and sweating for a coeliac. Some even experience muscle spasming and seizures.

Therefore, if while cooking my own tasty Denny sausages, I use the same spatula to cook my friend's gluten-free speciality sausages, he will become ill because of cross-contamination.

In the same way, if my friend buys chips from any public place, the chips will have been fried in oil that has had fish batter / chicken balls etc. fried in it, and he will become ill.

Thus, your choices become very limited, and you have to ask staff in restaurants to clean their cooking area and use separate utensils before feeding you, so it becomes really difficult to eat out.

Eating at home is fine, but you've got to scan any pre-packaged foods for traces of ingredients that contain gluten.

Take soy sauce for example. You'd assume it was grand, it has no wheat in it. But soy sauce is fermented in wheat, therefore making it inedible to a coeliac. It's a complicated condition and causes a lot of misery to foodies who discover they can no longer eat in restaurants/off barbecues/from cafés without pre-planning and a few staples in their pocket!

cj2007 wrote: »
    food from chinese restraunts can be eaten as it doesnt contain wheat flour.

Actually most dishes in a Chinese restaurant are out of bounds sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Something-Wkd

I find that asking for a plain baked potato and grilled meat is the easiest choice for me. I hate having to explain why I don't want ANY dressings on my food or why I'm asking if the grill is only used for meat and no herbs etc put on it. Sometimes I get the feeling that people think I'm being overly fussy but I'm what I call an 'extreme coeliac'. I'll know within the hour if I've eaten something containing any amout of gluten.

All chinese/indian take outs are a no-no. McDonalds fries are supposidly gluten free but you have to make sure that they are cooked well away from the twisty fries because the oil can become contaminated.

Also, just to explain to people that it is not 'flour' that coeliacs have to stay away from it is 'gluten'. Just because a recipe does not contain flour it does not mean that it does not contain gluten. For examlpe, gluten can be found in: glucose syrup (if it does not state the origin), flavourings, barley malt extract etc. I thought that I would be able to eat Kelloggs Corn Flakes. I was wrong as they cantain barley malt extract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

As we found out the hard way

us to waitress "is there any flour or gluten in this?"
    waitress "no"
    us "are you absolutely sure, this is important as my firend will be very ill if she eats gluten"
    waitress "I'm absolutely sure"
    It wasn't so "sure" when we ented up in A&E later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sure. Cross-contamination is the transfer of micro-organisms from one place, or food, to another. In other words, just the tiniest speck of gluten can bring on 24 hours (up to 2 weeks in worst case scenario btw) of upset tummy, irritability and sweating for a coeliac. Some even experience muscle spasming and seizures.
    Much like peanut allergies however, it's only quite acute cases who suffer from cross-contamination. All of the coeliacs I know, don't have to watch out for cross-contamination and can eat food so long as doesn't contain or isn't prepared in gluten.

Unfortunately despite any misgivings you have about eating in Ireland, the US, UK & Ireland cater more for coeliacs than any other European countries.

Therefore, if while cooking my own tasty Denny sausages, I use the same spatula to cook my friend's gluten-free speciality sausages, he will become ill because of cross-contamination.

In the same way, if my friend buys chips from any public place, the chips will have been fried in oil that has had fish batter / chicken balls etc. fried in it, and he will become ill.

Thus, your choices become very limited, and you have to ask staff in restaurants to clean their cooking area and use separate utensils before feeding you, so it becomes really difficult to eat out.

Eating at home is fine, but you've got to scan any pre-packaged foods for traces of ingredients that contain gluten.

Take soy sauce for example. You'd assume it was grand, it has no wheat in it. But soy sauce is fermented in wheat, therefore making it inedible to a coeliac. It's a complicated condition and causes a lot of misery to foodies who discover they can no longer eat in restaurants/off barbecues/from cafés without pre-planning and a few staples in their pocket!
    Thanks, that's interesting and relatively new information. i.e. I didn't realise they could be so ridiculously sensitive. I do however understand the principles behind coeliac disease. I realise gluten is added to processed foods, it makes sense as it would add an element of elasticity. My question about dressings was that I didn't see the logic in putting it in them, and still don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Adding some flour or other starches makes the dressing more stable and look prettier.

seamus wrote: »
    Much like peanut allergies however, it's only quite acute cases who suffer from cross-contamination. All of the coeliacs I know, don't have to watch out for cross-contamination and can eat food so long as doesn't contain or isn't prepared in gluten.

I'm actually not sure that that's true (that it only applies in acute cases). My friend who is a Coeliac is part of a massive support group for Coeliacs and they all go through severe symptoms when glutened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

There are a few books by Barbara Cousins called 'Cooking Without' - I found them to be really good in that the recipes are easy to prepare and delicious - really don't feel like you are missing out on anything

Cross contamination is a big problem for me. Symptoms can be very severe ranging from 1day of acute pain to almost a week.

There's a skin disorder that is associated with coeliac disease (though not very common from what I can see) that is very serious and flares up even with the slightest contact with cross contaminated goods and not only from actually eating gluten.

Also, gluten is added to alot of sauces and soups etc to thicken them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

the goat bar and grill have special menus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I am gluten intolerant, awaiting coeliac results from hospital, but I assume I am.

I come down with flu-like symptoms after eating anything with gluten. Sore throat, cold, congestion.. I also get fibromylagia flares from food with gluten. My life was hell for a year until I figured out I was gluten intolerant. The muscle pains were unbearable. I was physically fatigued for the first 5 or 6 months. It was awful. At first I thought I had ME, then Fibromylagia.. But when eventually I was pursuaded to get an allergy test, I found out I was allergic to gluten.

I now live my life in complete comfort. I know what to eat and what not.

Superquinn has a great range of gluten free food. Even GF pizza!! Coeliac.ie is a great website too. Make sure you join the society. They send out food lists for gluten free food.

You had an allergy test?? I know that you can find out of you're wheat intolerant but I was under the impression that you had to have a blood test to see if you could be a coeliac and then a biopsy to medically confirm. Thats what I had (along with a few more intrusive tests!!) My doctor would not confirm that I had coeliac disease untill I got the results of my biopsy.

You had an allergy test?? I know that you can find out of you're wheat intolerant but I was under the impression that you had to have a blood test to see if you could be a coeliac and then a biopsy to medically confirm. Thats what I had (along with a few more intrusive tests!!) My doctor would not confirm that I had coeliac disease untill I got the results of my biopsy.

I had an allergy test to confirm that I was allergic to wheat, rye and barley. I had a blood test in hospital 4 months ago to check if I was coeliac, but they have still not got back to me (Typical Irish health service).

Personally I'm just happy that I have a solution, I know what I'm allergic to. You wouldn't believe the agony and doubt I had to go through before I got diagnosed. Doctors had no idea what was wrong after over 10 visits. 5 visits to the hospital and they still haven't diagnosed me. I diagnosed myself. I should of given myself all the money. I had to read endless case studies, and pages and posts on the internet to start coming to conclusions.. Read through a book called chronic fatigue and the yeast connection.. Good book!

Worst thing was, my cousin died from mitocondrial disorder and got severely fatigued about a year before I started getting symptoms. Another one of my cousins died from it as I was getting my symptoms... So I was really scared I was going to be the next to die.

I was on an ME forum called foggyfriends, and after a few posts with my symptoms, one person messaged me and to check if I was coeliac. I went to the doctor and said that I wasn't coeliac cos I wasn't underweight. Waste of 50 euro. And then down the line, it turns out I am allergic to gluten.

Oh man, this whole subject really annoys me. In anycase, you wouldn't believe how happy I am now to just live a normal life. It was HELL before I got my diet sorted. Took about 3 weeks for the symptoms to go, so at the start I was having doubts as you can imagine, especting results in days.. But when the pain went, I was ecstactic.

If I eat anything with gluten now, I really pain the price. But I'm otherwise good!

• Advertisement

Trust me, I know the feeling!! My GPs (2 of them!) tried to convince me that I was anorexic. After lots of arguing, they then proceeded to tell me that I must be bulemic!! I was 5'5 1/2 and dropped to just under 6 1/2 stone!
    It was only after a random chat with the practice nurse about pancakes and how they make me feel ill which led onto a conversation about most bickies and sandwiches making me ill that the doctor finally decided to have me checked for CD.

Since starting the diet I am now 5'7!! Mad huh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

It is such a annoying diet especially as i'm also a diabetic so if it doesn't have gluten in it, it's usually laden with sugar!! Find it extremely hard to find places to eat and as a college student i also find it incredibly expensive to buy both gluten and sugar free/reduced foods.

just wondering is there any other coeliacs out there who experience no pain when the eat foods with gluten in them, sometimes out of sheer frustration i'v ate sandwiches, pasta's etc and i have experienced no side effects what so ever from it, tbh i sometimes doubt if i'm a coeliac!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 *Star*

Actually if I remember right Chinese restaurants use corn flour which is fine for most coeliacs. But since different things effect different people I would be careful eating in Chinese but my Mum and I are both coeliacs and we can eat Chinese with no problems! :)

Assez Bien wrote: »
    just wondering is there any other coeliacs out there who experience no pain when the eat foods with gluten in them, sometimes out of sheer frustration i'v ate sandwiches, pasta's etc and i have experienced no side effects what so ever from it, tbh i sometimes doubt if i'm a coeliac!!

I've read up alot on coeliac disease since I was diagnosed and supposidly people can go for there entire life without realising that they are a coeliac! People get different symptoms, pain being only one of them. Next time you eat something out of frustration (I know the feeling!) see if you feel more tired than ususal, feel like you have the flu, get bloated, bowel problems (other coeliacs know what I mean!!) or get cranky/easily aggitated.

It must be a pain to have CD aswell. I know CD is an auto-immune disease so if you have that you have a higher likelyhood of developing other auto-immunities such as tyroid problems (which I have), lactose intolerance and asthma (which I also have!) Is diabetes an auto-immunity thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm intolerant to wheat so if I eat it over a sustained length of time I feel generally unwell which then turns into feeling ill by which I mean crippling cramps which go up my back and into my neck and chronic constipatation. The only way to resolve it is to eat a very very restrictive basic diet for a month.

I've gotten used to it as I've been like this for almost ten years. People laugh at me and say I'm just picky and fussy but if they saw the state I'm in after a week in France or most European countries then they would see that it's a real affliction. It's the lack of control over my diet that I absolutely hate about being on holidays - thailand and Italy were the only two places where I could eat most things and I didn't come home feeling sick.

When eating out I know what to look for on a menu. I never get sauces unless they are tomato based. I never eat anything in pastry and I don't eat cakes, deserts etc.

I empathise with Coeliacs as it's a much more serious condition and far more restrictive in terms of diet. Blazing Salads is my saviour. If it wasn't for there I wouldn't be able to eat a carrot cake muffin without the fear of being sick. Yum.

On the topic of chinese restaurants, I stay away from them as it was a chinese takeaway that triggered my worst bout of sickness. I thought I'd gotten food poisoning but found out later that most chinese restaurants put flour into their sauces to thicken them. MSG although it's not gluten affects me badly too so I steer clear of chinese. Proper thai food is far better for me and I don't get that queasy, ill feeling afterwards.

I don't know if coeliacs can eat spelt but I eat a lot of spelt on a day to day basis - bread (from superquinn - yum), spelt crackers and spelt pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I am a coeliac but, thankfully, not an extremely reactive one. Some people have an awful time of it, with immediate reactions to even the slightest trace of gluten.

I try to eat own-prepared foods as much as possible. When out for meals, I avoid all obvious(and unobvious) sources of gluten, but I'm not 100% vigilant about cross-contamination etc.

It's a restrictive diet, but as another poster said, it's also very healthy. I don't tend to buy special GF foods as I find them generally unappetising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

It must be a pain to have CD aswell. I know CD is an auto-immune disease so if you have that you have a higher likelyhood of developing other auto-immunities such as tyroid problems (which I have), lactose intolerance and asthma (which I also have!) Is diabetes an auto-immunity thing?

Yea diabetes is an auto-immunity thing, also have thyroid problems and arthritis......all b4 i was 18, oh de joys!! But hey it could be alot worse!!

I have no symptoms whatsoever from eating gluten enriched foods and its awful as i feel like, hey its ok to eat it!!
    Only problems i've ever had was excruciaitng pains in my joints and legs before being diagnosed coeliac (they just stopped and don't return when i eat non gluten free food) but docs thought it was just the arthritis playin up.

Wierd....to say the least!!!

Trust me, I know the feeling!! My GPs (2 of them!) tried to convince me that I was anorexic. After lots of arguing, they then proceeded to tell me that I must be bulemic!! I was 5'5 1/2 and dropped to just under 6 1/2 stone!
    It was only after a random chat with the practice nurse about pancakes and how they make me feel ill which led onto a conversation about most bickies and sandwiches making me ill that the doctor finally decided to have me checked for CD.

Since starting the diet I am now 5'7!! Mad huh??

How old are you? I read that those intolerant to gluten can have their growth affected by it. I know this is a case for me as I'm only 5'4". But I'm 25 now, so It's too late for me.

dlofnep wrote: »
    How old are you? I read that those intolerant to gluten can have their growth affected by it. I know this is a case for me as I'm only 5'4". But I'm 25 now, so It's too late for me.

I'm 23. I couldn't believe it and neither could my doctors. People couldn't understand why I was so shocked but 1 1/2 inches in about a year and a half - 2 years was alot, esp. because I should have stopped growing at around 18!! Children can be very badly affected and be really small or short if they arn't put on the diet asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 fairynuff

I'm 23. I couldn't believe it and neither could my doctors. People couldn't understand why I was so shocked but 1 1/2 inches in about a year and a half - 2 years was alot, esp. because I should have stopped growing at around 18!! Children can be very badly affected and be really small or short if they arn't put on the diet asap.

Eating gluten containing foods if you are a coeliac damages the villi on the lining of your intestine. This means that you are not able to absorb the nutrients from your food correctly, so you were in effect malnourished - and your growth was stunted as a result! By giving up gluten, you gave your intestine a chance to repair itself and are now getting all the nutrients you need from your food.

Many places serving food need to educate their staff regarding the effects that even small traces of gluten can have on coeliacs, and how to serve food for coeliac customers. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to send back dishes which have arrived with bread on the plate etc after requesting it to be served WITHOUT. Just picking the croutons out of the caesar salad doesn't do the job folks! :)

Advertisement