Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy & fit a new radio - how easy?

Options
  • 15-04-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

How easy is it to buy a radio for a car? What do I need to look for? Are they all standard or model specific or?

Where's the best place to buy one cheapish? Websites? Garages? Halfords ?

How easy is it to fit? Does it take long? Do I need special tools? Do I need to put it into a garage or can I get it done myself and setup in 5 mins?

99 Opel Corsa Eco

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on the model radio, some will fit straight in using the original leads etc while others will require special cable adapters. No point installing a decent car stereo if you are not going to change the crappy standard speakers that come with your car.

I leave all my stereo installations to DA Autostore in Stillorgan, these guys know their stuff and are resonable and have a good range of kit. http://www.thebestof.ie/dublin-south/300/1/1/the_best_of.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm not looking for a great sound system and don't have huge amounts of money for it so speakers etc are out of the question .. I'm looking for one where:
    - I can play MP3 CDs
    - The volume control works
    - The radio tuning works

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Argos FTW!

If you're looking for something cheap and cheerful. I put a new one into my BF's car when I got it for him, and if I can do it anyone can. Basically, you just take out the old one (they usually supply little 'keys' to slide down the sides of the radio to take it ou) and then disconnect the wires at the back (easier than it sounds) and then plug in the new one and slide it into the casing and you're done. Instruction leaflet explains all. If you're just looking for your basic CD/Radio that can play MP3 cds, it probably doesn't get much cheaper than this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it really does depend on how far you want to take it.

assuming you have a standard format stereo and not something built into the dash it's normally not that hard to do with a little bit of preparation and rathering of info about your particular make and model of car and stereo.

if it's a single or double din unit (the 'regular' shaped ones or the ones double that size) then chances are it's got a bog standard ISO connector, or something very close to it.

some car mfg's change the wiring slightly and use their own cable layout, but converters for most makes/models that are likely to have this are very cheap on ebay, just do a search.

posting the make/model of your car & a pic of the stereo will help people here advise you better.

there's usually a set of clips ot slot in and pull out the old unit, if you buy a new one it should come with it's own clips for insertion/removal anyway. again, you should be able to find ones for your existing stereo on ebay if it needs them to remove it.

So, just pull out the old unit and fit the wiring adapter (if necessary) and then plug in the new one and see what happens.

Run_to_da_hills is irght about the speakers tho, you might want to consider a new set of those too.

oh btw, if all this sounds like too much effort then Halfords are very reasonable for stereo fittings (and stereo's) if you don't fancy the DIY route.

I actually picked up a new stereo in Lidl in their last offer for 99 euro, it does mp3 CD's, it's got bluetooth handsfree, an SDcard slot & USB input (for playback & recording) as well as an ipod connection. well worth waiting for. it's not perfect, but anything similar elsewhere would be touching twice the price.

well worth signing up for the Lidl & Aldi newsletters as the car stereo's come up fairly reguarly.

BTW, I got an adapter for my mitsumishi off ebay and fitted the whole thing myself (zero DIY exp.) in an hour, including the handfree mic. etc.

The car is a 99 Opel Corsa Eco. I don't have a photo of the radio but can get one tomorrow. It's the radio that came with it.

I want a cheap/cheerful Radio/CD/MP3 that does nothing fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

good stuff, is it the regular slot in rectangular shape or moulded into the dash?

It's rectangular from what I remember. The display for it is up on the top of the dash then.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you just need a wiring adaptor. it's a standard DIN size.

Wiring adapter? - this converts my car wires to work with a "standard" unit?

DIN? - this refers to the size of the unit ?

Here's the photos of the radio and the dashboard display (which is off).

1208299606.jpg

1208299690.jpg

• Advertisement

Those headunits are held in by clips, the holes for releasing the clips are covered by 4 small Torx screws on the front of the unit.

It's a standard Opel radio, no need for adaptor plugs. I think you need to swap the yellow and red power wires so the radio won't lose stored stations though. there will be 3 plugs on the back of the stereo instead of the normal 2, the top one is just for the dash-top display and can be left unplugged.

EDIT: you may need to get an adaptor if yours is a quick release stereo that has no wiring loom connecting the stereo to the car (just a slot in/slot out job) you'll know once you remove the unit)

Like the ones I would tune in colm_mcm? Not bothered about this .. it doesn't let me tune things in anyway ... well ... it does, but it doesn't let me find stations so that matters not to me.

post edited to include more detail ^

Back to this again. Want one ideally with Bluetooth (assume works through car speaker and the mic is built into the front of the radio). Also aux in at the front to plug in iPod and also needs to support MP3 CDs.

Needs to be quick and easy to install.

A bit of reassurance that I just need to pull out the old one and pop in the new one would be nice too :)

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

as i mentioned in the other thread, lidl have 2 different stereos at the moment, one with SD card reader, usb etc, and the other with all that and bluetooth,. 60 and 80 quid respectively,.:)

And they're all standard fit? So I just walk in, buy the €80 one, go out to the car and have it all setup in 5 mins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yes but you might need a wiring adapter (check on ebay, you are looking for a harness for your make of car) I got one for an old avensis last month for about €5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

a Wiring harness adapter is just a block that plugs into your existing wiring and re arranges the wires to the ISO standard connector. you just plug that onto the cars wiring, then into the radio and its done. you'll get a cage for the radio too which you'll have to install in the space were the old radio came out from, its just a matter of sliding it in and pressing in the lugs around the edges to secure it there. then the radio simply slides into that new frame. its all very simple when you have it there in front of you.

Also, if your corsa is one of the ones with the blaupunkt stereos in it as standard then you wont need an ISO wiring harness as far as i can remember. it should have a normal connector on it all ready.,

Will check this out. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

vtec wrote: »
    you'll get a cage for the radio too which you'll have to install in the space were the old radio came out from, its just a matter of sliding it in and pressing in the lugs around the edges to secure it there.
    It might not use a cage, but in that case the old radio will have brackets screwed to it that you just take off and screw to the new radio (there will be multiple holes in the new one and some of them will match up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If your stuck Halfords have most of the adaptors from manu to ISO connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Random wrote: »
    Back to this again. Want one ideally with Bluetooth (assume works through car speaker and the mic is built into the front of the radio). Also aux in at the front to plug in iPod and also needs to support MP3 CDs.

Needs to be quick and easy to install.

A bit of reassurance that I just need to pull out the old one and pop in the new one would be nice too :)

Thanks

I got a stereo off ebay quite cheap that plays DVDs. You can fill a blank dvd with mp3s and play them. Nearly the same capacity as 7 CDRs.

Advertisement