Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The a**holes are out alright... but so are the cops

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Let me set the scene...

Lovely day, nice stress free day at work, and cycling home in the sunshine, no raingear or jacket, and not battling with the wind. Its gonna be bright until 9 or thereabouts, so i can go home, dump my bag and go out for a nice spin too.

Im heading from terenure towards templeogue, and after I pass terenure college, I move into the bus lane towards the village. A long line of drivers are sitting patiently alongside it.

About one third of the way up it, a jeep driver decides he cant take it anymore and turns into the bus lane as im about to pass. I shout some words that will turn out as asterisks if i repeat them here, and he jams on between both lanes. I pass by him and continue. So he comes up behind me and starts sitting on the horn, and flashing the headlights, motioning for me to get out of the way, also grabbing the attention of all the drivers who have the patience to wait in traffic.

I look back at him and he's got no room to get by me (This could be my fault, cycling in the middle of the lane and all, but im not sure ;)) As i turn my head back around to face the road ahead, a red mondeo drives into my path about 50 foot ahead of me, as the jeep did a few moments ago.

Out step two gardai, and one gives me a smile and a nod as if to say "On you go son, we'll sort this out"

I continued, safe in the knowledge that this a**hole ended up having a bad day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As soon as you posted Mondeo I just knew the gardaí were involved. Now there's a sterotype!

Score for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

saw this twice last week!!!!

its gas the face on the driver...he knows he is screwed:D:D

lucky you didnt remove bits of jeep:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Not cycling related but I was on the M50 on my way home after being at me Ma's for dinner and this little racer scanger boy in his souped up (think it was a Colt) with the skirts and bling alloys come flying across my bow from the on-ramp right onto the outside lane not indication or nothing when an estate car comes flying past me on the outside lane with blue flashing lights (unmarked car). The feeling of wellbeing that washed over me as I muttered the words "Your nicked" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

noblestee wrote: »
    I look back at him and he's got no room to get by me (This could be my fault, cycling in the middle of the lane and all, but im not sure ;))

I do this sometimes too, especially if I'm not going to hold up any taxies or buses. Unfortunately I did it to a garda attached to Phoenix Park HQ once - only discovered that when I called Traffic Watch with his reg plate. To be fair to him, he was very patient sitting behind me all the way from Collins Avenue to Fairview ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I have seen a more visible gardai presence the past two days it does keep the car drivers nicely in check :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

what a a$$, hope he got everything he deserved! Love hearing stories like this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Rob_l wrote: »
    I have seen a more visible gardai presence the past two days it does keep the car drivers nicely in check :cool:

Loads out today because of the state funeral. I was coming in by Islandbridge this morning, and I usually take a centre position in the bus lane there becasue the surface is in very bad shape. I'll give way to buses and taxis but not to lane jumpers, and there's always plenty of 'em on that stretch. This morning though, there was a traffic corps car in the car lane, and jumpers kept having to jump back in lane. Hilarious.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

faceman wrote: »
    what a a$$, hope he got everything he deserved! Love hearing stories like this! :D

I share this opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Good to hear the outcome of this one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Let me set the scene...

Lovely day, nice stress free day at work, and cycling home in the sunshine, no raingear or jacket, and not battling with the wind. Its gonna be bright until 9 or thereabouts, so i can go home, dump my bag and go out for a nice spin too.

Im heading from terenure towards templeogue, and after I pass terenure college, I move into the bus lane towards the village. A long line of drivers are sitting patiently alongside it.

About one third of the way up it, a jeep driver decides he cant take it anymore and turns into the bus lane as im about to pass. I shout some words that will turn out as asterisks if i repeat them here, and he jams on between both lanes. I pass by him and continue. So he comes up behind me and starts sitting on the horn, and flashing the headlights, motioning for me to get out of the way, also grabbing the attention of all the drivers who have the patience to wait in traffic.

I look back at him and he's got no room to get by me (This could be my fault, cycling in the middle of the lane and all, but im not sure ;)) As i turn my head back around to face the road ahead, a red mondeo drives into my path about 50 foot ahead of me, as the jeep did a few moments ago.

Out step two gardai, and one gives me a smile and a nod as if to say "On you go son, we'll sort this out"

Hahaha, brilliant. I always do that to c*nts driving up the bus lane on botanic road. Stick the bike in the middle of the lane, slow as I like, they usually go mad, but I stay put. All the cars queued up in the correct lane are happy to see the f*ckers going mad, but there's never a mondeo around to get them.

good post!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rob_l wrote: »

Thank goodness. Normally it's a free for all in this city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Just magic - It's great if you can just make eye contact with the offender and let him see your vast sh1t-eating grin before you head off.

FYI I've had great support from the Traffic Unit based in Terenure Garda Station on some issues that I've reported recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful in doing something like this, not only becuase of the risk of a raod rage type incident, but also the guy behind you could be holding up a bus or emergency vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Well done Gards!!! :) He'll probably do it again though. I hate jeeps, one reversed into me once cause I am 5 ft nothing and they couldn't see me in the their mirror...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Let me set the scene...

Karmic justice prevails.... my faith has been restored in the Gardai....temporally of course bet that made the cycle home all the more sweet.!!!

Advertisement