Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Key Fob Battery Help

Options
  • 15-04-2008 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Battery gone in car key. Opens doors sometimes, BMW say its €150 to replace entire key. Anyone got any cheaper idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

User21027 wrote: »
    Battery gone in car key. Opens doors sometimes, BMW say its €150 to replace entire key. Anyone got any cheaper idea's?

Not only cheaper, but a better idea would be to start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Don't lock your car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

That a great bit of help, ya, super, brilliant, thanks a million.
    It's a 2003, 316i BMW Sports, with cream leather interior, alloys etc. I'm hardly gonna leave it unlocked now... I've just serviced it, replaced coil pack etc so just dont have €150 yo-yo's spare.
    With answers like this, i think i'll have to pay it just.. Sh*te!! Damn cars are a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

little electric servo with a ram of some sort attached , radio transponder and there you do , one button opens , other locks it , simplist mechanisim you can make. all in cost about 20-40 quid ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

Da is qualified sparky so should be able to put something together, but BMW want chasis number of car as it holds genuine mileage and all info relating to the car so dont know if a spurious key will do, may open doors, but might feck up the on-board computer as doors are connected to the cars computer... But thanks, i'll look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

That a great bit of help, ya, super, brilliant, thanks a million.
    It's a 2003, 316i BMW Sports, with cream leather interior, alloys etc. I'm hardly gonna leave it unlocked now... I've just serviced it, replaced coil pack etc so just dont have €150 yo-yo's spare.
    With answers like this, i think i'll have to pay it just.. Sh*te!! Damn cars are a rip-off.

Sorry I just thought it was strange one to throw into a paintwork thread.

Presumably you didn't get any more keys with the car, you should have 2 master keys, any way on contacting the previous owner and getting the other one off him (his name will be on the vehicle licensing doc), also clean the key with brasso, it's supposed to recharge itself in the ignition '03 is too young to be having problems with the battery dying from old age.

Failing that you'll just have to suck it up and buy a new one or turn the key in the lock each time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

POsts moved to a new thread. @User21027 - please start a new thread if you want to ask a question and don't hijack someone else's thread!
    As for your key issue, you may be able to get a used key from ebay but to get a blank key that can b re-programmed for your car then expect to pay these prices!
    As for BMW wanting the chassis number to provide a stranger with a valid car key, are you surprised that they don't give out keys to someone who can't proove to be the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

if its a 2003 E46, the key should recharge when the key is in the ignition.... i've never heard of the re-chargeable batteries going but i guess it is possible. But even if the rechargeable battery was on its way out surely it would hold some sort of charge....

Sounds like there might be another problem with the key fob... you could try and open it to see what the story is, but from memory they are ultra-sonically welded shut, more than likely you'll end up hurting your self with a screw driver while trying :( also its glass filled plastic so is a bitch to cut too :(

The other alternative is that the car is not charging up the key while its in the ignition, not sure how likely this is, but i guess is also possible...

Advertisement