Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP SP3 - April 29th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Finally. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thats great news, i'm sick of installing the 98 updates since sp2

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Dont install it. It caused that exact Stop error that is in the comments in that link when I installed it. Took me half a day to repair my pc after it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Urgh, this is going to be a headache in work when we eventually get around to deploying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wiigeek

i had it installed on my pc for a few days i did notice about 10% increase in speed and all was going well till i started lays some games and then it blue screened and i ended u having to reinstall xp and start from scratch what a pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On behalf of Vista I just want to say HA HA :D

wiigeek wrote: »
    i had it installed on my pc for a few days i did notice about 10% increase in speed and all was going well till i started lays some games and then it blue screened and i ended u having to reinstall xp and start from scratch what a pain

why did you have to re-install, what was happening when you tried to re-boot

i get called to non booting xp sp2 pcs a few times a week, and usually a fixmbr, fixboot and chkdsk c: gets it working again, rearly have to reinstall

also a repair would have gotten you back to xp sp2 without losing files or having to re-install apps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

mukki wrote: »
    i get called to non booting xp sp2 pcs a few times a week, and usually a fixmbr, fixboot and chkdsk c: gets it working again, rearly have to reinstall

yeah I'm seeing a lot of this too. I used to do a clean install to resolve the issue, but lately I've found booting from the XP CD, get to the Recovery Console and run a full 5 phase CHKDSK. the PC reboots later and viola.. Windows XP working again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Download Links

<snip>

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft don't approve service pack downloads from third parties, and it's only a few days more.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/0a5b9b10-17e3-40d9-8d3c-0077c953a761.aspx

Get Windows XP Service Pack 3

Subscribers:

* Windows XP Service Pack 3 stand-alone version
    Top Subscriber Downloads section

Non-subscribers:

Windows XP SP3 will be available to non-subscribers on 4/29 via Windows Update and Microsoft Download Center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why delete all the links?
    The Major Geeks link (the one I used) downloaded from microsoft.com directly.

Edit: I see the direct link is now gone. Carry on.

Microsoft don't approve service pack downloads from third parties

I wasn't aware of that.

Microsoft need to get out more. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Loveless wrote: »
    yeah I'm seeing a lot of this too. I used to do a clean install to resolve the issue, but lately I've found booting from the XP CD, get to the Recovery Console and run a full 5 phase CHKDSK. the PC reboots later and viola.. Windows XP working again.

Always a good idea to install recovery console as a separate boot item. All you need to do is stick in your windows xp cd and run:
    x:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons (x being the drive letter for your cdrom)

Easier to do it now then be rooting around for your windows cd when the disaster happens :D

You can get the same effect now by using the RVM integrator and integrating all the updates to XP on your installation CD.

It's quite easy to do and it's far, far better than downloading 98 updates every time you reinstall.

The latest pack is dated March 2008, so it's pretty much up to date.

http://www.ryanvm.net

rrpc wrote: »
    Always a good idea to install recovery console as a separate boot item. All you need to do is stick in your windows xp cd and run:
    x:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons (x being the drive letter for your cdrom)

Easier to do it now then be rooting around for your windows cd when the disaster happens :D

i like

off topic but
    does that work in vista too?

mukki wrote: »
    i like

off topic but
    does that work in vista too?

Not quite :D You have to boot from the DVD or your PC came preinstalled with them. (reminder to self - check installation options to see if it's there) see here for details.

still not available, will check again after midnight

cozmik wrote: »

its still kinda hidden, best to wait till its on windows update or even on the microsoft download center, they might be delaying it for a reason

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

wiigeek wrote: »

Ditto :(
    Just in the process of reinstalling XP on an eeepc (yet again).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Mary Jo Foley is running a story saying that MS have delayed the launch over a bug found that causes a problem with Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. THe same issue has apparently been identified in Vista SP 1 as well, though they are not going to pull that from distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ya, its been delayed, more here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft don't approve service pack downloads from third parties, and it's only a few days more.
    Guess this is one reason why,

roll on service pack 3(a) :pac:

I still won't roll it out to the production machines till there is some more feed back from the beta testers end users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3262170&SiteID=17
    In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1). In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.

To help protect customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to the web.

We are also testing a fix, and will make it available once that process is complete. Once they have installed the fix, Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers should be able to run both service packs.

Until then, we advise Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers to not install either service pack. Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers running Windows XP SP3 or Windows Vista SP1 should contact Microsoft Customer Support Services for additional information.

Guess i'll be clean installing again. Oh MS, how you play with my feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sherifu wrote: »
    Guess i'll be clean installing again. Oh MS, how you play with my feelings.

like a woman

After reading more about Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System I don't think I need to. :)

slightly off topic but....

i have downloaded xp pro and xp home with sp3 integrated

and i am currently burning both to 2 seperate cd-roms at the same time, while browsing boards

never tried that before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've got SP3 running smoothly on an eeepc and a Dell Inspiron 6400.
    Its a nice clean install, and typically is about 14% faster at booting than SP2 (which I was happy enough with). The footprint on the eepc, with Office 2000, comes to around 1.2Gb (with swap file and virtual memory disabled, and the rollback files removed). Wireless management (on the eeepc) appears to be slightly more erratic (though the atheros adaptor doesn't help matters).

Note: SP3 does not integrate IE7 or WMP11

Shane

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Note: SP3 does not integrate IE7 or WMP11
    Noticed that alright. Wonder why.

Advertisement