Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat & Dog & Moving House

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Have a timid/wary male cat 4 yrs (sans equipment) & an excitable 1 yr old dog.

I am currently in the process of moving house and am looking for advice on how best for my cat to handle the move, the dog is not a problem.

We will be moving for about a month to another house until our new place is ready. There are already a number of animals at this house; cats, dog, sheep, horses & hens etc.. My cat is not a social cat and i do not think he would interact with the other animals and the fear is that he will run off.

Also the cat is used to being indoors or outdoors whenever it suits him, but would be an outdoor only cat during the stay at this house.

I was considering a cattery until the new house is ready then gradually introducing him to the new house or would this solution be the same as just moving him and seeing how he copes?

Any other solutions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If it were me, I'd put him in a cattery until you are properly moved in as I'd say there is a fairly strong chance he won't stick around if he has to stay outside with the other cats - and they might not take to him "invading" their territory.

When you get to your new house then try to have lots of things he is familiar with around and keep him inside for a couple of weeks until he feels more at home. They say that stuff "Feliway" is great for settling cats down - you can get it in a vets and it releases a calming scent.

Good luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Cats don't like being moved. They should be kept indoors for a few weeks after moving house so that they feel at home before being released to explore the outdoors. Also, I would advise you to either keep it at your current house for the month and get someone to feed him in the meantime or put him in a cat hotel for the duration. Though it might be costly, the latter might be your best solution.
    Best of luck.
    ValerieR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 misssurferrosa

Yeah we've moved a few times in the past couple of years with our 2 cats, and they defo need to stay in for at least 2 weeks after a house move or they'll be off. Any way you can keep him in with a litter tray for the month? We lived in a tiny flat in Dublin like this for 6 months and we all got used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

We have 3 cats and have moved twice in the last 2 years. The trick is to keep them indoors for an amount of time and gradually introduce them to their new surroundings. If you put the cat outside then kiss it goodbye, its as simple as that. In fact, you would be better to rehome it.

The only way would be if you

-convinced the occupants of the house to allow your cat to stay indoors
    - put in a cattery.
    - try to find a pet sitter that will keepthe cat *indoors* for the month.

I don't think it is fair on a cat to be shoved in a cattery for a month. If I were you I would try to find a pet sitter that will take the cat in for the month.

Wonderful animals, but they do throw hissy fits when uprooted.

Advertisement