Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerial Photos of Cork

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Didn't see this anywhere in the forum (I searched too), so sorry if it's already been discussed, but there is a LOAD of aerial photos of Cork city on maps.live.com, Microsoft's mapping service. I use it regularly for directions etc for work. Just this evening I noticed it now has the "Birds Eye" option over the city, and it has some amazingly detailed aerial views that can be viewed from most angles too. I can see me house and me car! And now I can see what's over the hedge... which leads me to my question:

Is it ok to have such detailed maps and aerial photos readily available on the internet? I'm a little concerned at the potential security issues... seems like an ideal way of planning an escape or scoping out the neighbours. I know Google Earth has fairly detailed maps too, and has had for years, but this is different because its way more detailed and is "birds eye" as opposed to Google's "top-down" view.

Thought ye might find it interesting.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

The maps are good. I wouldn't be too worried about "scoping" out the neighbours, the maps are a few months out of date, nobody is going to know if your house is empty at a particular time.

Advertisement