Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Locks

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I bought a new racer last week, very low end but hey! I cycle into town everyday, and im just wondering which is the most recommended bike lock for inner city areas. Im not really looking to be spending 75 euro for 'New York' rated locks, more like €30 or so, but will stretch if needs be. Advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hi Guys,

I bought a new racer last week, very low end but hey! I cycle into town everyday, and im just wondering which is the most recommended bike lock for inner city areas. Im not really looking to be spending 75 euro for 'New York' rated locks, more like €30 or so, but will stretch if needs be. Advise would be appreciated, thanks.

e40 - e50 will get you a lock with a anti theft guarantee.:)

e30 will get rid of your bike quite fast:D

believe me e75 wont be much if your bike gets nicked;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

kona wrote: »
    believe me e75 wont be much if your bike gets nicked;)

true dat. this is what i use. gold rated, whatever that means. it has a reputation as a tough lock which is important too. and i use a cable as well when i can be arsed/am on the northside.

cheap locks define false economy. there is no more sickening feeling than finding an bikerack unexpectedly empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

I had the same problem as you, decide which lock to buy. I asked a few shops and checked around what kind of locks do bikes have.
    Curiosly, couriers user Kryptonite Locks. And I did buy one of those too.

You can have a look and decide yourself. http://www.kryptonitelock.com/
    Cycleways does usually have them to sell.

otherwise check. www.chainreactioncycles.com
    or www.probikekit.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I have this one:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1203

It’s slightly above your budget on chainreactioncycles.com.
    Gold rated, which is something like “moderate protection against professional thieves, excellent protection against casual thieves”.
    It is fairly heavy, but you’re commuting, you’re not in a velodrome.

I also use a cable lock. I don’t know how much that cost. On it’s own it’d be useless but having two locks makes a difference. Well, I think it does, never had to test it touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive this for the frame and Ive a cable lock to put around the wheels this is for my fixie i dont generally commute on my Road bike unless ive got secure parking for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

peterk19 wrote: »
    ive this for the frame and Ive a cable lock to put around the wheels this is for my fixie i dont generally commute on my Road bike unless ive got secure parking for it

Ditto with the lock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

On an ever so slightly unrelated issue, I'm due to go down the four courts this afternoon. Is there anywhere down there to lock a bike safely? Or should I just get the Luas?

Getting myself one of those kryptonite evolution minis, they look the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

unionman wrote: »
    On an ever so slightly unrelated issue, I'm due to go down the four courts this afternoon. Is there anywhere down there to lock a bike safely? Or should I just get the Luas?

Nowhere is safe. It is afterall dublin, home to a unique breed of anti social malnurished, drug taking, tracksuite wearing, breed of human being known as the skanger, who are normally bicycle theft experts Although the skangers wealther cousin, the "lorcan" have been noticed to carry out random acts of violence against pedal cycles, particularly in around grafton street and harcourt street.

On the subject of locks I use an abus granite xplus http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/granit-x-plus-54-10512

Outside garda stations seems to be logical enough although i've still spotted a few vandalised ones from time to time outside them. Best bet is to leave the bike in a secured parking location if at all possible.

Also you could use one of the following

1. Dawson Street Car Park (€15 euro for a key, daily access free)
    2. Temple Bar Car Park (24 hr)
    3. IFSC Car Park
    4. Brown Thomas Car Park.

all have racks for 20 bikes.

Also suggest we make this list a sticky somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Myself and a friend ordered two evolution mini's from this guy
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/KRYPTONITE-EVOLUTION-EV-EVO-2000-MINI-U-LOCK-997931_W0QQitemZ310037274633QQihZ021QQcategoryZ58100QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

Best prices I've seen so far. If you order more than one, the delivery prices are decent.

A good stong ulock, locked through the rear triangle attaching the wheel to a immovable object. Then a cable/chain to secure the front wheel to the bike.

locktechnique1.jpg

As described on Sheldon Brown's site.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

If you're regularly leaving it somewhere for the whole day/evening you'll need a large chain and the ulock to secure it properly, don't rely on the cable for long time security.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

there was an offer in Aldi a couple of weeks back - it was a motorcycle chain and padlock. Absolute brute of a lock. OK, it weighed a ton, but the only thing that would open it would be a petrol powered stone cutter!!! Not many scobes have that in their trackies!
    If your lucky, your local Aldi might still have some, methinks they were 15 notes - another German bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    Myself and a friend ordered two evolution mini's from this guy
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/KRYPTONITE-EVOLUTION-EV-EVO-2000-MINI-U-LOCK-997931_W0QQitemZ310037274633QQihZ021QQcategoryZ58100QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

Best prices I've seen so far. If you order more than one, the delivery prices are decent.

Thanks for the link Verb, very attractive at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

This might be too late for you, but I'd lock it outside Store Street Garda Station. Brave would be the head who'd try and rob your bike outside there.
    unionman wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Brave but not unknown, you'd still want a good lock. Best of all is secure parking; there was mention on a thread a while back of a number of car parks around Dublin city centre that have bike parking (apparently either free or really cheap, just a deposit for a key.)

I use something quite pathetic on my commuter but then I have secure parking at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

blorg wrote: »
    Brave but not unknown, you'd still want a good lock. Best of all is secure parking; there was mention on a thread a while back of a number of car parks around Dublin city centre that have bike parking (apparently either free or really cheap, just a deposit for a key.)

I use something quite pathetic on my commuter but then I have secure parking at work.

See my post above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ha, sorry about that neilled- shows how much attention I was paying. Good information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Would this be worth the money.I saw it for 52 euro in halfords.It has a secure gold rating and quatro bolt lock mechanism what ever that means lol.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&partNumber=286427&langId=-1&source=aw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah that's a decent enough lock alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

This is what you need right here. At that price you could buy 2, lock your bike with one and keep the other one with you for when you come back and find some knacker trying to steal your bike, then you can jack the son bitch in the back of the head with the spare chain.! :D;)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8489

Nah this is the one I use, its heavy, but only in use in town, i have a secure shed/cage thingy at work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two locks and leave one at the destination so you don't have to carry the weight.

But one tactic I've heard of is to put super glue in the lock so the thief has more to work on it when the victim heads home by other means. Is this an urban myth ? Or should the spare lock be very well oiled ?
    BTW: Acetone / Nail varnish remover will get rid of supergue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

[quote=
    Capt'n
    Midnight;55838922]Two locks and leave one at the destination so you don't have to carry the weight.

But one tactic I've heard of is to put super glue in the lock so the thief has more to work on it when the victim heads home by other means. Is this an urban myth ? Or should the spare lock be very well oiled ?
    BTW: Acetone / Nail varnish remover will get rid of
    supergue
    [/quote]

Yeah, I've heard of this happening.

I never thought though of using Acetone, yet another thing to add to the commuting bag!

• Advertisement

Anyone know where this http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1096
    could be got?

Internet order or shop buy would do me.

Cheers,

72oo

72hundred wrote: »
    Anyone know where this http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1000&pid=1096
    could be got?

Cheers,

72oo

Thats the one I use, got a good deal from Wiggle with this where you get a a kryptonite cable to attach round your front wheel
    Be warned though this lock is heavy I have a chain link lock that i use for work buts so heavy I leave it there and use this one when im out and about.

That said even the most hardened thieving knacker would have trouble with this lock.
    Well worth the money imo!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360036846&N=Kryptonite%20New%20York%203000D%20With%20Free%207ft%20Kryptoflex%20Cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

could be got?

Cheers,

72oo

Cyclogical on the quays seem to have the full range of Kryptonite stuff at the mo. Wasn't looking for a lock last time i was in so didn't check them out in enough detail to know if this one was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How are Cyclogical for prices?

BostonB wrote: »
    How are Cyclogical for prices?

Pretty much like every other bike shop in Dublin, overpriced, if you need gear immediately then yeah go for it.
    If you can wait then definitely buy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Kryptonite make some of the best bike locks in the world. I was using one for years on a push bike in town. It eventually siezed up completly so I sent it back to the manufacturers and got a brand new replacement, only prob that the replacement was twice the size of the origional. I continued to use this lock on my Motorbike for years until it finally hopped out of the top box and I never saw it again :(

Avoid places like Aldi / Lidl for locks, they are rubbish. Cheap Lock = Robbed bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

This might be too late for you, but I'd lock it outside Store Street Garda Station. Brave would be the head who'd try and rob your bike outside there.

You cant lock your bike anywhere near Store St any more, all the bike parks are gone since they renovated the area in front of the station, and they have notices saying no bikes to be locked to the fence around the station. Thanks for taking away the bike parks lads!

Pearse Street still has lots of bike parks for locking up

Yeah the guys in Cyclogical are very good, but I think I'd order on-line just because the price would be a real wallet breaker.

Yeah the guys in Cyclogical are very good, but I think I'd order on-line just because the price would be a real wallet breaker.

Any good websites to buy it at that will ship to Ireland?

Considering that the american sites are quoting around $80 for it any chance that I could get it for less than 50e?

72oo

www.wiggle.co.uk

www.chainreactionscycles.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Two locks and leave one at the destination so you don't have to carry the weight.
    Depends on the destination, some premises have a policy to remove any unattended locks off railings :eek:

Advertisement