Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 johnnywishbone

I'm up money at this stage of the US Open with money back on Karlsson & Jiminez, even though I got screwed as he was in a 3 way tie for 6th place. Whats the thoughts on the playoff? is anyone touching the BMW International Open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

I'm up money at this stage of the US Open with money back on Karlsson & Jiminez, even though I got screwed as he was in a 3 way tie for 6th place. Whats the thoughts on the playoff? is anyone touching the BMW International Open?

I backed tiger on betfair for 100 at 4.4 and again for 50 at 6.6! I didn’t look to lay it off yesterday as I was out and convinced tiger would win it! Anyway im looking to lay some of it off today at 1.33! What do people recommend? I was thinking of laying for a 300 stake i.e. a 100 liability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

got mediate at 8/1 last night when he was 2 strokes behind i think.

one time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,392 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

PP have Roco at 7/1 just now, and won't let me place the bet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Trampas

hotspur wrote: »
    What a putt!

How much did you make laying off Westwood?

Very little. Anytime I tried to lay the odds shot out.

It was very hard to judge it right.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    PP have Roco at 7/1 just now, and won't let me place the bet
    changed computer and got it on at 5-1,
    and just now I managed to hedge the bet on PP,
    hedged, on PP :eek: :eek:

the tiger bet just covers roccos, so im bettin for free on rocco (well actually a few euro profit, but theres 40 times more profit on rocco)

one time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Feel sorry for Rocco, seems like a great guy, would like to have seen him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nadasky08

Some finished! Gutted for Mediate! Backed him on Betfair playing the 18th at evens. Thought he had the bottle! Roll on the British Open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I put on a treble last week. I backed Tiger to win , 'No' in the Lisbon and Germany to beat Austria. Jaysus, my heart was in my mouth last night! Happy days now though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 nadasky08

Any bookie given a price on when Tiger will (if he does) surpass Nicklaus's record of Majors??

So I take it that the barge poles aren't going to be touching the BMW Open or the Travelers Champ' ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

So I take it that the barge poles aren't going to be touching the BMW Open or the Travelers Champ' ?

Got to hand it to the Tigger ! Felt sorry for the Roc but he did OK.

My own selections ??? Hoped you wouldn't mention that - took a bit of a hammerin from the Power boy :(

The Rose was nowhere ,, but will still watch him for the Open - back to the practice ground for Kim an Podge - thought I might collect on Dinwiddie but he faded - keep an eye on him in Europe though.

Thoughts on BMW to follow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Happy with my US Open naturally as Woods got there (eventually) and Weir threatened a place before just falling away at the end.

Not had much time to study anything. Going to go for an outsider in the Travelers just for a bit of interest. Kevin Na was 9th here last year (but was in better form than now) and at 125/1 will be my rather optimistic choice.

Hello All, my selections for The British Open:

Karlsson 28
    Rose 20
    Westwood 18
    Jiminez 45
    Sabbatini 80
    Els 12
    Garcia 14

Got to hand it to the Tigger ! Felt sorry for the Roc but he did OK.

My own selections ??? Hoped you wouldn't mention that - took a bit of a hammerin from the Power boy :(

The Rose was nowhere ,, but will still watch him for the Open - back to the practice ground for Kim an Podge - thought I might collect on Dinwiddie but he faded - keep an eye on him in Europe though.

Thoughts on BMW to follow.....

Lickin my wounds a bit so went for small selections in BMW - got Kaymer at 20/1 so he may repay some past losses also have him as top european at 12s.

Travellers - stuk with the Rose - still there after poor 2nd round.

Also backed Dustin Johnson to make top 10

If Kaymer wins and Casey finishes top 5 - will recoup some losses !:D

Hello All, my selections for The British Open:

Karlsson 28
    Rose 20
    Westwood 18
    Jiminez 45
    Sabbatini 80
    Els 12
    Garcia 14

Yeah - like those boney - all except the pigtailed Spaniard - cant see him winnin on links terrain in probable cold and wet weather.

Lickin my wounds a bit so went for small selections in BMW - got Kaymer at 20/1 so he may repay some past losses also have him as top european at 12s.

Travellers - stuk with the Rose - still there after poor 2nd round.

Also backed Dustin Johnson to make top 10

If Kaymer wins and Casey finishes top 5 - will recoup some losses !:D

Whew !!! Good man Kaymer cleared circa €400 - also had Casey e/w - jeeze was I sweatin !!
    Drinks all round at club!!!

I see we are already looking ahead to the Open. Having had a quick review I thought Stenson was the stand out price. 74 on BF and 45's with PP paying 6 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Let's face it folks, golf is a punters graveyard. When you see PP paying 6 places it just highlights the difficulty in making any money on the sport and now I see the Sunday Tribune is offering a bundle of cash if someone can predict the first 4 in the British Open - yeah and they can have my house as well - some chance!

Whatever you might think about horse racing or tennis, the fact is that every so often some guy comes out of the woodwork and steals a golf major thereby making pots of money for the bookies. They say that Monty has made gazillions for the bookies because patriotic Brits put money on him time after time to win the British Open but he never pulled it off, ditto Greg Norman.

Just look at the US Open a few weeks ago, that guy Rocco Mediate was a qualifier who got into the tournament by the skin of his teeth in a play-off at the end of one of the regional qualifiers. He was outside the world's top 100 yet he came within a whisker of wiping out virtually every punter who had money on the competition.

• Advertisement

Yeah - agree Golf betting is tricky ..but can be lucrative if you follow the various tournaments ..secret is to shortlist sat 4 or five who will be in the shakeup an lay off from there --bettin has to be eachway an bookies offer options like top 10 - best European / Aussie etc..

coylemj wrote: »
    Just look at the US Open a few weeks ago, that guy Rocco Mediate was a qualifier who got into the tournament by the skin of his teeth in a play-off at the end of one of the regional qualifiers. He was outside the world's top 100 yet he came within a whisker of wiping out virtually every punter who had money on the competition.

In theory he could have won. In reality Tiger the favourite won. I read that PP laid him to lose a million before cutting their odds of 7/2.

I don't disagree that outsiders win and that is particularly why i like betting on golf. I posted up here a few weeks ago I was backing Jiminez for the BMW. He duly obliged at 40/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The Open Championship

Hunter Mahan 80 €51.00 €4,029.00
    Richard Sterne 320 €24.06 €7,675.14
    Jeff Quinney 306.72 €18.47 €5,646.73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Age of winners 1970-2006

1970 Jack Nicklaus 30
    1971 Lee Trevino 31
    1972 Lee Trevino 32
    1973 Tom Weiskopf 30
    1974 Gary Player 38
    1975 Tom Watson 26
    1976 Johnny Miller 29
    1977 Tom Watson 28
    1978 Jack Nicklaus 38
    1979 Severiano Ballesteros 22
    1980 Tom Watson 31
    1981 Bill Rogers 30
    1982 Tom Watson 33
    1983 Tom Watson 34
    1984 Severiano Ballesteros 27
    1985 Sandy Lyle 27
    1986 Greg Norman 31
    1987 Nick Faldo 30
    1988 Severiano Ballesteros 31
    1989 Mark Calcavecchia 29
    1990 Nick Faldo 33
    1991 Ian Baker-Finch 30
    1992 Nick Faldo 35
    1993 Greg Norman 38
    1994 Nick Price 37
    1995 John Daly 29
    1996 Tom Lehman 37
    1997 Justin Leonard 25
    1998 Mark O'Meara 41
    1999 Paul Lawrie 30
    2000 Tiger Woods 24
    2001 David Duval 29
    2002 Ernie Els 32
    2003 Ben Curtis 26
    2004 Todd Hamilton 38
    2005 Tiger Woods 29
    2006 Tiger Woods 30

Grouped by age when they won
    Age Count
    22 1
    23 0
    24 1
    25 1
    26 2
    27 2
    28 1
    29 5
    30 7
    31 4
    32 2
    33 2
    34 1
    35 1
    36 0
    37 2
    38 4
    39 0
    40 0
    41 1

Many of the winner were 29, 30, 31 when they won.

The leaders in the betting
    Name Age
    Richard Sterne 25
    Sean O'Hair 25
    Justin Rose 26
    Adam Scott 27
    Graeme McDowell 27
    Sergio Garcia 27
    Luke Donald 29
    Geoff Ogilvy 30
    Paul Casey 30
    Henrik Stenson 31
    Ian Poulter 31
    Tiger Woods 31
    Lee Westwood 34
    Niclas Fasth 35
    Padraig Harrington 35
    Stuart Appleby 36
    Thomas Björn 36
    Angel Cabrera 37
    Ernie Els 37
    Jim Furyk 37
    Kj Choi 37
    Mike Weir 37
    Phil Mickelson 37
    Retief Goosen 37
    Darren Clarke 38
    David Toms 40
    Scott Verplank 43
    Colin Montgomerie 44
    Vijay Singh 44

The above was a post I put on the Betfair forum in 2007 about the age of Open Championship winners. Below is the top ten in 2007. Harrington was old for a winner.

pos players holes par
    1 Padraig HARRINGTON 18 -7 .... 35 years
    2 Sergio GARCIA 18 -7 .... 27
    3 Andres ROMERO 18 -6 .... 26
    T4 Richard GREEN 18 -5 .... 36
    T4 Ernie ELS 18 -5 .... 37
    T6 Hunter MAHAN 18 -4 .... 25
    T6 Stewart CINK 18 -4 .... 34
    T8 Ben CURTIS 18 -3 .... 30
    T8 Mike WEIR 18 -3 .... 37
    T8 KJ CHOI .... 37

Won't be for everyone but I like to have a look at the Seniors Golf. This Week I like the look of Lonnie Nielsen. Can't say I know much about Lonnie Nielsen but I can tell you he was 3rd here last year and he has gone 7/2 in his last 2 events.
    Bruce Betting are doing 6 places on this event and are offering 14/1.
    Langher is the fav but doesn't appear to have been playing competitively recently and in these 54 hole events you really have to be up to speed from the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Andthebeatgoeso

Anybody have a preferred bet on the European open. My money is on

Garcia 14/1 e/w
    Poulter 28/1 e/w
    Harrington 33/1 e/w

Put my bets on yesterday and looking healthy at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anybody have a preferred bet on the European open. My money is on

Garcia 14/1 e/w
    Poulter 28/1 e/w
    Harrington 33/1 e/w

Put my bets on yesterday and looking healthy at present.
    Don't believe you. Sorry but thats just the way I feel.

I think you just checked the leaderboard and picked a couple of names who are in the top 5 and said to yourself "Ha ha i'll impress the gambling lads by making up a lie saying I backed Garcia and Poulter, i'll stick in Harrington as well as he's out of the running and it'll make my lie more believable"

Frankly you make me sick. You should change your name to Andthecheatgoeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any websites that do betting for Ladies European Tour golf..Or local bookies that do betting on it, thanks

callaway92 wrote: »
    Any websites that do betting for Ladies European Tour golf..Or local bookies that do betting on it, thanks

Try oddschecker - if there's betting on it - it'll be there. Odds typically available 2 days before the event. If by local you mean independent local bookies I'd likely say they take their odds from one of the bigger operators.

Anyway no joy for me on the Seniors this week. I've had a look at the Scottish Open and there's a few big names this week. Els, although a double winner, I just think is always poor value as he just doesn't win enough. Mickelson was second last year after blowing it. Stenson is supposedly building his season around the big events so may be fine tuning his game for the Open (and as I've backed him for it I'm glad to see him playing). Scott is in and will likely to be short enough and not proven on course.
    If I can get any sort of price I will back Donald (4th 2007, 2nd 2006, 5th 2005) and Poulter (2007 8th; 2006 14th; 2005 4th; 2003 10th).

Edit. Donald not playing. Poulter available at 40/1 with Ladbrokes

Edit II Daniel Chopra playing. Been doing very well in the States. Excellent Putter. available at 66/1 or 60 with Boyles paying 6 places.

• Advertisement

Poulter looked good to challenge for a place at worst but let me down. Chopra was shocking. Only hit 18 greens in regulation over the first 2 days. Would probably explain why he is one of the top putters on the PGA - he has to be!

Just to let people know Bruce Betting are going 7 places in the Open this week. Powers, Boyles and Bet365 paying 6 places at the moment.
    Have backed Stenson already, and will back Weir and Kaymer e/w @ 66/1 and have a saver on Garcia at 10/1.

Good luck all.

Advertisement