Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammo Limit Increase

Options
  • 15-04-2008 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Can an FAO authorise an ammo increase on the spot or does it have to go via the Superintendent's office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

From what I was told it needs to be the Super.

I was waiting 4 months to increase my ammo Limit from 200 to 500
    and after about 30 phone calls and letters my FO just scribbled
    a few lines saying that my super authorized the ammo increase and he
    stamped it. The PC21 form he said was not needed and was only used
    so when the license got renewed it would have the correct details.

4 feckin months to cross out the 2 and replace it with a 5.
    Only in Ireland.
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, I daresay I might be a bit better off. My licence was processed in under six weeks with no questions on the requested 500, so I'll probably have little enough trouble upping the amount, with any luck, was just looking for procedure really. I'll have a word with the boys in blue tomorrow if I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I was told an ammo increase requires the super to approve it and I would have to send a written request to the super along with the FAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I was told this week by my FO that he would not increase my limit (from 100 to 500) but that if I am travelling to/from a specific competition that I could exceed the limit. I'm not sure what to think about that, and I have a competition coming up that I need about 400 rounds for!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I was told this week by my FO that he would not increase my limit (from 100 to 500) but that if I am travelling to/from a specific competition that I could exceed the limit. I'm not sure what to think about that, and I have a competition coming up that I need about 400 rounds for!

When I first applied for my licence I asked for 500 but they would only give me 100.

I asked about the European passport system/licence and told them the default
    on that was 500 and I would like to apply for it and they had not got a clue what it was.

I wrote a letter specifically asking for an increase from 100 to 500 and the
    super would only issue me with an upper limit of 200 because I did not have an alarm.

I got an alarm and reapplied for an increase from 200 to 500 and the Local Crime prevention officer was sent out to my house and 4 months later they finally granted
    the ammo increase.

Interestingly the Local Crime prevention officer was the most down to earth and
    reasonable member of the Gardai that I have had to deal with and he even wondered
    why he was been called out to inspect my house over something so trivial.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

bullets wrote: »
    When I first applied for my licence I asked for 500 but they would only give me 100.

I asked about the European passport system/licence and told them the default
    on that was 500 and I would like to apply for it and they had not got a clue what it was.

I wrote a letter specifically asking for an increase from 100 to 500 and the
    super would only issue me with an upper limit of 200 because I did not have an alarm.
    This is such unbelievable bullsh1t that it's staggering. You'd think that having five hundred rounds of ammo constituted an arsenal for a small army. I'm seriously considering getting my 1,000 rounds limit up to 10,000 because of the difficulty in getting match ammo as well as the pistol ammo which I'm eating for breakfast, dinner and tea.
    Interestingly the Local Crime prevention officer was the most down to earth and reasonable member of the Gardai that I have had to deal with and he even wondered why he was been called out to inspect my house over something so trivial.

~B
    Indeed. These guys are working at the coalface so to speak and have a much more practical frame of mind. They have seen it all and worn the teeshirt so they're usually the best people to talk to about firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Lad's I don't know !! I requested a limit of 500 rounds with my application for the 9mm and was only given 100 , I submitted a letter stating that up to 300 rounds were needed for some comp.'s and that practice ammo was also needed and that it would not be practical to purchase 100 rounds each time I ran out during a comp.:rolleyes:. I have looked for the increase 3 times since and have been turned down each time even though I'm alarmed .whats the story , Offaly area.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

and have been turned down each time even though I'm alarmed .whats the story , Offaly area.:mad::mad:

I can see how you might be alright :D

I'll try pop into the station tonight. I'll let people know how I get on.

Was in the station tonight. Guards were as nice as could be about the affair, went through the material, including letter detailing my reasons for wanting the ammo increase, and gave approval for them, pointed out a couple of things to include (phone number and such, which I'd forgotten) and put it all in an envelope to be sent off. Pretty pleased with the whole thing, gives me good hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement