Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win Euro 2008?

• 16-04-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't you almost forget that Euro 2008 is less than 2 months away without the usual Sky Sports and English red top press hype and furore when the inevitable happens and some England footballer breaks his foot, or should I say metatarsal, and England seem to go into a state of emergency?

Anyway, who do people reckon will win? I feel there are no stand out team in Europe atm

I was going to back Croatia but given that Eduardo is out and their odds aren't excellent so i'm not sure

What about Portugal? They still haven't found a centre forward but could Ronaldo play there given his success for United this season, leaving a front 6 of

Maniche---Costinha
    Quaresma
    Deco
    Simao/Nani
    Ronaldo

and a defence which includes Ricardo Carvalho and a number of highly rated full backs such as Nelson, Miguel and Boswinga.

I've backed Spain in every tournament since WC '98, so i'm not backing them this time. But a midfield that includes the likes of Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, David Silva, Senna, Diego Capel has to be worth looking at, especially with Torres and David Villa or Dani Guiza up top.

Do Gallas and Thuram still start together at the back for France? If they do even with emerging talents such as Benzema and Nasri I can't see them winning. Or has Mexes come into the defence?

Germany are Germany, you can never rule them out, but they have no stand out superstar players, and may suffer due to Bayern not being involved in the CL this year, their domestic league being reasonably poor and their talisman Michael Ballack only returning to the Chelsea team towards the latter end of this season

The Italians don't look to be at their strongest, with Zambrotta having fallen away, Nesta and Cannavaro retired (I think), but a midfield of Pirlo, Gattuso and de Rossi would be up there with the best in the world, and after 2006 can never be ruled out.

What about the Dutch? van Basten seems to have a thing for little known home grown players, but van Nistelrooy is back, Sneijder and van der Vaart are in good form and Huntelaar could use this tournament to signal his emergence onto the worldwide scene.

Does anyone fancy someone else to cause an upset a la Greece in 2004?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Spain. Never backed them before, but I am this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have a feeling for Spain, though I hope they get stuffed in the group stages along with France and Hollalnd and are eliminated as early as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Germans or Portuguese for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Great post.

I think Germany, with their attacking style have a great chance, but I really think Greece(or Romania) could do it.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

DSB wrote: »
    Spain. Never backed them before, but I am this time around.
    I fancy them too given that this will be my first time not backing them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I was actually thinking to myself the past few days on how Euro 2008 has been airbrushed from getting a mention in the British & Irish media.

I really enjoy the Euros as game for game, i think they are a lot better then the WC.

I think the perennial big boys of France, Italy, Spain & Germany will be favourites but we all know a Greece or Denmark could appear from somewhere.

But i think Germany will win. besides the fact the tournament is being held in their own backyard, its been a while since they won a tournament. its a crappy reason for thinking they will win. but i dont think there is a standout team in Europe at the moment.

Personally Euro 2008 will be a very proud occassion for me....it will be first major tournament with Boards......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think there's any standout team in Europe atm.

Holland have a world class attack but an average defence.
    Portugal has a world class midfield and a great manager but no striker, and has argubaly the best player in the tournament.
    Italy are lacking in creativity
    Germany aren't that good imo
    Spain has a great midfield and attack, but a dodgy defence and an average coach
    France isn't great in central midfield imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If you like dark horse punts try Switzerland. They have big championship experience over the past fourteen years; have all the mental intangibles of team spirit , good work ethic, etc; and have home advantage which is always huge.

The best value bet imo is Portugal. Putting money on Spain is akin to lighting it on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I said Croatia a few months ago, but Eduardo's injury was a big blow.

Really hard to call, but I'd love to see Ronaldo and Nani have stand-out performances in the tournament so I'll have to throw my hat behind Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think it's a very difficult one to call. I think, player-for-player, I'd have to look at France and Spain as favourites. The problem with both is that they their best players are very similar, leaving weakpoints in the starting teams. In the top half of the pitch (Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Torres, Villa :eek:), Spain are laughing - but they only have a spattering of top class talent elsewhere (Casillas, Ramos). Similar story with France, they're sorted in attack (Henry, Benzema, Ribery, Anelka etc) and have some great players elsewhere (Gallas, Evra, Clichy etc) but will be needing the likes of Vieira and Makelele to turn up big time to pull the whole team together.

I think the two of them serve as something of a metaphor for the other 'big' teams - some great individual talent, but some of the 'average' or maybe young players will need to step up to turn someone into a great team. Portugal need a centre forward. Italy need a new Totti. Germany need width. Holland need defenders. Some of the eastern European teams could struggle without their bigger names (Eduardo for Croatia, Rosicky for the Czechs seems perenially injured).

Bearing all this in mind, I'm gonna predict that management will play a crucial role in the competition. Whoever can patch together the best 'team' out of so many great players will have the best chance (duh). So I predict Scolari's Portugal to win the day, probably with Ronaldo playing half the tournament as a centre-forward (and probably playing Hiddink's Russia in the final!).

Any chance Donadoni will get on the phone to Totti?

Also with Portugal having Ronaldo and his goalscoring threat does that nullify their perennial striker problem? he has 20 goals in 54 games, thats a decent strike rate.

do we have any names of potential new big names who will then get a big money move and fail, im looking at you Nuno Gomes & Milan Baros!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Germany I reckon

They have a tradition of getting far in most tournaments they enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Also with Portugal having Ronaldo and his goalscoring threat does that nullify their perennial striker problem? he has 20 goals in 54 games, thats a decent strike rate.

I think Ronaldo could be the answer to Portugal's problems, though an unorthodox one. It requires the likes of Nani and Quaresma to make space and create opportunites for him in the manner of Rooney and Tevex however, and I wouldn't be convinced that they have the ability to do that.

Russia is a good bet. Very normal player wise for a massive population, but Arshavin is great(and plus I share his surname:D) and with Hiddink as manager they have a chance.

I think they are a normal team, not too much better than Ireland but with Hiddink managing and Pavlyuchenko, Zhirkov and Arshavin they have some firepower and could spring a suprise.

If Euro 2008 was in Moscow then maybe, but they just dont seem to travel well do the Russians.

remember Phil Babb coming on and instantly conceding an own goal against Russia in 2002 straight after the WC? his first game in a few years, it was hilarious, did he ever play for Ireland again?

You mentioned Russia so its not off topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

My moneys on France Italy and Portugal while I think Germany and Spain will struggle as per usual. I think Poland could do well, other than getting hammered by the US theyve been impressive and with Croatia struggling with injuries to strikers they a good chance to get out of their group alongside Germany.

The official website is really good by the way - http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Russia is a good bet. Very normal player wise for a massive population, but Arshavin is great(and plus I share his surname:D) and with Hiddink as manager they have a chance.

I think they are a normal team, not too much better than Ireland but with Hiddink managing and Pavlyuchenko, Zhirkov and Arshavin they have some firepower and could spring a suprise.

Would certainly be my dark horse team, though tbh even with Hiddink they are lucky to have made it. IIRC they were goaless in the first half vs Andorra in thw qualifiers (which, if a miracle had happened, iirc meant if the result stayed 0-0 England would have qualified despite the Croat beating)

I would say Beenhakker and Poland being debutants and all, but tbh they were fancied as dark horses in 06 and did fook all.

Dunno who Im supporting yet. Had hoped it would be the Scots after it became apparent Stan had forgotten the paddle when navigating sh1t creek last September.

Realistic I call either Germany or Italy.

Or France to stumble through with draws, single goal penalty wins and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PHB wrote: »
    I don't think there's any standout team in Europe atm.

Holland have a world class attack but an average defence.
    Portugal has a world class midfield and a great manager but no striker, and has argubaly the best player in the tournament.
    Italy are lacking in creativity
    Germany aren't that good imo
    Spain has a great midfield and attack, but a dodgy defence and an average coach
    France isn't great in central midfield imo

Can't disagree with any of that.

Short answer, no it doesn't. Lacking a good central striker is for me the reason why Portugal won't win the tournament. They need the likes of Toni or Klose or someone along those lines. An out and out goalscorer who hangs on the last defender. They don't have it. It's all well and good Ronaldo, Quaresma etc terrorising defences but of there's no one to finish the move off it's pointless.

Of course Ronaldo will chip in with his fair share of goals but I don't think it'll be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lacking a good central striker is for me the reason why Portugal won't win the tournament.
    France won the World Cup without one. They relied on the goalscoring prowess of Thuram, not once but TWICE in the semi final!

I think Portugal are a good shout. They will have probably the best manager and player in the tournament.

Spain have the best group of players but their manager will **** up again. Not taking Raul is a great start.

France and Italy have done nothing to impress me in the last two years. I'd fancy Germany ahead of them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

kinaldo wrote: »
    France won the World Cup without one. They relied on the goalscoring prowess of Thuram, not once but TWICE in the semi final!

I think Portugal are a good shout. They will have probably the best manager and player in the tournament.

Spain have the best group of players but their manager will **** up again. Not taking Raul is a great start.

France and Italy have done nothing to impress me in the last two years. I'd fancy Germany ahead of them tbh.

Well technically they've been the WC winners and runners up within the last 2 years :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote: »

While a valid point, can you see Nuno Valente chipping in with two goals?!

Of course Portugal are one of the favourites but it's not exactly the strongest bunch of teams to pick from. The likes of Germany, Italy and France are going to be going through transitional stages between now and the next World Cup. They would be considered 'big hitters' yet could easily struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Well technically they've been the WC winners and runners up within the last 2 years :p
    I was even taking that into account!

Edit: Everyone knows Argentina were the best team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Spain, Portugal and Holland all look strong enough on paper, but I'd be hesitant to back them. I might stick a bit on France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I'm aware of the history, but you know what? I'm gonna come out and say it. Spain for Euro 2008. So there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I think there's no clear favourite. Germany are Germany and will typically be tough to beat but can't see them winning it. Italy will bore the ring off us as normal, do well but can't see them winning either. Holland have always been right up their in terms of quality but never deliver and I can't see that changing to be honest.
    Spain, Portugal and France I think have the best chance. Spain have a stupid amount of talent in midfield and Torres in great form all season could bring them a long way. But again like Holland, they seem to be lacking when it comes to the crunch. The same goes for Portugal and Ronaldo. They have no real centre forward but have half a dozen players who could get a goal any time. France could be dark horses in a sense for this - I think they're overlooked since a lot of players have retired since their tournament victories in '98 and '00 and also since their loss in the final of the World Cup but still have a huge amount of quality. I think it's the perfect stage for Benzema to properly announce himself.

I think there's no clear favourite. Germany are Germany and will typically be tough to beat but can't see them winning it. Italy will bore the ring off us as normal, do well but can't see them winning either.
    Spain, Portugal and France I think have the best chance. Spain have a stupid amount of talent in midfield and Torres in great form all season could bring them a long way. The same goes for Portugal and Ronaldo. They have no real centre forward but have half a dozen players who could get a goal any time. France could be dark horses in a sense for this. A lot of players have retired since their tournament victories in '98 and '00 and also since their loss in the final of the World Cup but still have a huge amount of quality. I think it's the perfect stage for Benzema to properly announce himself.

You find Italy boring? I found them one of the best teams to watch in 2006. They don't play fluently, but in my opinion they have an easy on the eye style.

Portugal on the other hand bore me, despite the fact of their attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

You find Italy boring? I found them one of the best teams to watch in 2006. They don't play fluently, but in my opinion they have an easy on the eye style.

Portugal on the other hand bore me, despite the fact of their attacking players.

Ye, they always have and presumably always will.
    How can attacking football be boring? Something is always happening. Something always happens with Italy too I suppose...defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'm backing Spain, same as for every Tournament since Euro96 and they are going to fcuk up on me again.
    I'm going to the 1/4 final in Vienna prob between Spain and whoever comes second out of the Holland, France, Italy & Romania group.

I have a sneaky feeling it'll be Italy or Germany but if I was to put on an outside bet i would say Croatia. They are in the easiest group as well. I would have had a sneaky punt on Romania but they are in the strongest group so much like Ivory Coast in the WC they will probably put up a good fight but not have enough to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Torres (er Spain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Spain or Italy. Preferably Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I wont start thinking about the Euro's until most of the other comps are decided, CL, etc. I think one of DE, ES, IT, PT or FR will likely win it, but thats not exactly sticking my neck out, is it. It's an open competition so anything can happen and you can never discount the Germans or the Italians no matter how bad they are playing.

PaddyPower sees it thus:
    Germany 4 - 1 Czech Rep 12 - 1 Russia 28 - 1
    Spain 6 - 1 Netherlands 12 - 1 Turkey 33 - 1
    Italy 7 - 1 Switzerland 18 - 1 Poland 33 - 1
    Portugal 15 - 2 Sweden 25 - 1 Romania 40 - 1
    France 8 - 1 Greece 25 - 1 Austria 66 - 1
    Croatia 12 - 1

And lets not forget the groupings and how that plays into it, group of death, etc.

Fifa's rankings are (ignore countries that have not qualified):
    Ranking Zonal Ranking Team Pts
    3 1 Italy 1391 0 -114
    4 2 Spain 1319 0 -36
    5 3 Germany 1261 0 -33
    6 4 Czech Republic 1234 0 -19
    7 5 France 1205 0 -29
    8 6 Greece 1187 2 27
    9 7 Portugal 1125 -1 -81
    10 8 Netherlands 1124 -1 -55
    (11 9 England 1098 0 -44)
    12 10 Romania 1085 1 25
    13 11 Croatia 1041 -1 -60
    (15 12 Scotland 1004 -1 -16)
    18 13 Bulgaria 953 1 31
    20 14 Israel 898 2 4
    23 15 Turkey 860 -5 -64
    24 16 Sweden 858 0 -27
    25 17 Russia 851 -4 -55
    28 18 Poland 839 -4 -46
    28 19 Norway 839 -1 -4
    31 20 Serbia 807 0 -8
    32 21 Ukraine 763 0 -51
    33 22 Denmark 762 0 -25
    34 23 Northern Ireland 704 0 -59
    35 24 Finland 700 0 -30
    37 25 Moldova 669 14 75
    42 26 Republic of Ireland 637 -5 -53
    46 27 Switzerland 621 -6 -29
    102 43 Austria 323 -14 -44

Btw, since when did Moldova go ahead of Ireland in Fifa's rankings????? The mind boggles on that one!

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Um, I'd go with Spain based on the squads but they always f*ck it up so that'd just be a stupid bet.

Germany for me, always do well in the big tournaments despite their squad. Plus it's all taking place not too far from the German border so they'll have plenty of support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

England, Don't their press always think they will the Euro's and the World Cup. Oh wait they didn't qualify..... :D

Sorry couldn't resist

• Advertisement

redspider wrote: »
    Netherlands 12 - 1

At those odds Holland are worth a shot. I also like Sweden at 25-1 as a rank outsider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Germans.

They'll just grind out results against the better teams.

Mr.Anderson what I meant is despite Portugals attacking players like Deco, Simao, Ronaldo, Postiga, Almeida, Queresma(?) they don't actually have a fluent style. Just look at them in the last world cup....so so boring. Scolari had them playing well organised. They were ok in 2004.

Ronaldo was **** in the last world cup, I don't care if the world says he was great the fact is he was very average and didn't stand out by any stretch of the imagination.

The Germans.

They'll just grind out results against the better teams.

I honestly don't think the Germans are like that any more. They don't 'grind' as such in my opinion.

Ronaldo was **** in the last world cup, I don't care if the world says he was great the fact is he was very average and didn't stand out by any stretch of the imagination.

That's just bull****. He was an big threat throughout the games, despite not scoring much. Do you want one piece of evidence that shows this? Holland tried, and succedded, in kicking him off the pitch.

If you think Ronaldo playing for United is a sight to see, you should see him play for Portugal. He tries even harder for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

If Spain play to their ability,I just cant see past them.
    Their goalscoring potency has been increased as I think Torres will be a better international player now that he has played in the premiership,eg he has major experience in different typres of football.

David villa is also quality.

They have a ridiculous midfield.

defence is dodgy but puyol is a good player and so is ramos,we will see if they can produce anything decent in defence to back these too up.

PHB wrote: »
    That's just bull****. He was an big threat throughout the games, despite not scoring much. Do you want one piece of evidence that shows this? Holland tried, and succedded, in kicking him off the pitch.

If you think Ronaldo playing for United is a sight to see, you should see him play for Portugal. He tries even harder for them

Fifa gave them most entertaining team.......HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA. Great stuff Fifa.

Let me just dig out Portugals matches against Angola, Iran, Mexico, Holland and England.:rolleyes:

Where is your evidence of this 'big threat'?

Against England? No. PWNED by £ashley.
    Against Holland? No. As you mentioned Holland, and in particular Boularhouz played rough and Ronaldo did nothing.

He scored a couple of penos in the group stage I think....but he was hardly a threat. He must have torn the mighty Angola apart in Portugal's 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He did score a beauty of a final penalty to knock England out. Pressure stuff tbh.

I'm not doubting the guys mentality, however I am doubting his performance level in terms of what he prides himself on(skills, tricks, assists) in major tournaments for his country.

I think Portugal still have the problem they've always had. A great midfield and some decent defenders but no out right striker! Remember it used to be Figo and Rui Costa doing all the work in previous tournaments with no striker there to get the goals to win games. If Ronaldo is the answer time will tell.

I have a feeling about Spain. Normally when they've been backed before other tournaments I've always written them off as bottlers because they never can do it on the big stage for whatever reason but I think now they just have so much class throughout the team. Torres, Febregas, Xavi , Villa - the list goes on ! I think this is by far their best chance to finally win a major tournament.

Against England? No. PWNED by £ashley.
    Against Holland? No. As you mentioned Holland, and in particular Boularhouz played rough and Ronaldo did nothing.

Against England he did relatively well I thought. Also, the idea that Boularhouz played rough is ****ing hilarious. They tried to break his ****ing leg and he had to come off injuried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I offered my mate 60/1 on Croatia. There not gonna win it

Better not or he gets 720 quid! 10 E/W :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Before the draw was made Romania were my dark horse and i still think they're a good bet at 40-1 or what not. Chivu and Mutu add class to what is a very very solid team. Agree that Sweden should be shorter odds as well. Their group is piss.

I was going to say Italy to win before the groups were made but now I'm with Germany. Klose will score bucketloads again and has a relationship with Podolski. They have a decent midfield with Schweinsteiger providing some flair and they should get of the ground flying. Spain are bottlers and always will be and I think Portugal will put too much pressure on Ronaldo

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Before the draw was made Romania were my dark horse and i still think they're a good bet at 40-1 or what not. Chivu and Mutu add class to what is a very very solid team. Agree that Sweden should be shorter odds as well. Their group is piss.

I was going to say Italy to win before the groups were made but now I'm with Germany. Klose will score bucketloads again and has a relationship with Podolski. They have a decent midfield with Schweinsteiger providing some flair and they should get of the ground flying. Spain are bottlers and always will be and I think Portugal will put too much pressure on Ronaldo

Romania are a pretty decent team but i just can't see them getting past France, Holland & Italy in the group.. If they had got the group with Austria i'd say yeah maybe a chance..

I think i saw what must be a mistake on the UEFA website. Looks like their fixture list could see teams from the same group meet in the Semi's... This never happens I thought. I assumed it was structured that they could only meet again in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd like to see Holland do well out of it. Too long have they under achieved, i look at it that;

VDS shouldn't concede many*, Huntelaar/RVN/Van Persie should score bags between them*, if a midfield shows up consisting of Seedorf/Robben & Van der Vaart gets to show his ability* - they should succeed. Defence is my biggest worry.

I think if they can escape their group of death they could storm through the tournament, that remains to be seen.

great value ad 12-1 imo

(*= on paper)

• Advertisement
Advertisement