Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CO2 - boring?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

I am getting increasingly fatigued with all this carbon bull and would like to know if others share my sentiment.

Theres a serious amount of CO2 being polluted by the few on here that insist in informing us about BMW or Audi and the likes shaving 1g/km of their output figures every day or two.

I belive this is may be relevant to a minority that cant be arsed to look for the information themselves if needed. I do commend the posters however on their sustained commitment to CO2 emissions. But come on its getting a tad boring at this stage seeing figures and information copy and pastes everywhere.

Why not create a Motors sub-forum called - Motors CO2 "Everything you need to know about Carbon dioxide emissions" - Exciting stuff .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CO2 emitted by private cars in this country is immaterial compared to total CO2 emitted

But hey, we have a minister who thinks (or wants to be seen to think) otherwise

As for me - before this minister, I owned old cars with large V8 petrol engines. Since this minister, I bought myself an even older car with an even bigger V8 petrol engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

unkel your my hero!

I like your style i really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Brint

cabrwab wrote: »
    unkel your my hero!

I like your style i really do.
    Take it to PM, or a hotel room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Like unkel, I too feed compelled to buy a large gas-guzzling V8, just to piss of the Greens!

Lack of money prevents this though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Watch Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" and then watch Channel 4's "The Great Global Warming Swindle". Then be prepared CO2-induced headache that'll last days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

The majority of the Irish motoring public are currently focused on having a new registration plate every year. Little thought is put into the actual car thats driven. Now emissions have been added to the melting pot they will have two things to consider - The Reg and CO2.

Heres a question for the CO2 gurus -

If I buy a car thats 224g/km and keep it for 5 years doing average mileage and Joe public buys a super clean BMW 116 new, every year for five years and also does the average 10K-12K a year who has overall the biggest carbon footprint?

I think its a bit like "The Matrix" - The world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

VeVeX wrote: »
    If I buy a car thats 224g/km and keep it for 5 years doing average mileage and Joe public buys a super clean BMW 116 new, every year for five years and also does the average 10K-12K a year who has overall the biggest carbon footprint?

I've made that point elsewhere. The obsession with having a new-car plate is doing more harm than good. Which is why i think the idea of having a non-year plate is a good idea - IF the government was earnest about environmental concerns... Personally I usually end up keeping my cars at least 4 years (not for tree-hugging reasons). Many friends who have no interest in cars change twice within this period. They say it's to avoid maintainance, NCT etc. but really...it's all about the number-plate!:rolleyes:

I've been guilty of asking CO2-related questions as well though. Not because I'm an environmentalist or anything but because I think it'll be a factor in resale value and desirability 3-or-4 years down the road. Plus, I think a CO2-related taxation system is better than a stupid-ass CC-relted system. At least an efficent 2-3 litre engine (like various BMWs, petrol and diesel) will be rewarded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Well why don't we all stop worrying about cars etc and stop flying every place?
    Stop having industries burning to create energy.

Cars account for very little of the CO2 levels. At an epa conference last year i attended a prof got very annoyed at everybody accusing cars for causing the damage when infact it is industry "SPEEDING" up a natuaral process, and he also believe damage was done for 20/30 years ago.
    And this was a key note speaker so somebody the EPA holds in high regard.

You really want to worry about your carbon footprint, start thinking how much electricity to i use to charge up my battery run car.
    Industry and airlines are the killers!

Use america's answer to everything Nuke it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Of course taxing new cars on CO2 is complete bull. You hardly think I care one way or the other about the effects of CO2 on climarte change. Cars make such a small contribution to CO2 but they are the favourite target of the EU and our government for emissions reduction.

If we were seruious about tackling climate change we would tax the polluter(i.e. the fuel, and a special loading for diesels with them being worse for the planet than good old petrol) and get rid of a number plate system that displays the year on it.

But since lots of people buy new cars and it will determine how much tax one pays the Government not only when you buy the car, but every year in the form of road tax, it no longer is an issue that only eco mentalists can start worrying about. The difference of even 1 g/km can save you €1,000 a year in road tax, and several thousands in the purchase price, and obviously this will have huge consequences in the used car market.

Like it or lump it, when buying a 08 car new or used, and anything in the future, we all have to "think carbon" to quote the minister and play the system and take advantages whenever they turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I own a 2 litre petrol car and I'm not flying transatlantic this year
    Ho Ho Ho Green Gormley owns a bike and has flown transcontinental in the past year
    Who has a smaller carbon footprint now ????????????

As usual it's a tax not a solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

cabrwab wrote: »

You really want to worry about your carbon footprint, start thinking how much electricity to i use to charge up my battery run car.
    Industry and airlines are the killers!

Exactly.

The entire system is designed to make the little people think that its cars causing the problem. This is to deflect attention from the main contributors - big industry, airlines and agriculture. Cars are only a small slice of the pie. This whole CO2 system is being proposed as major step to reduce our footprint. In actual fact its a smoke screen for fat cats to keep doing what their doing with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

pburns wrote: »
    I've made that point elsewhere. The obsession with having a new-car plate is doing more harm than good.

I like the Swiss system. The plate goes with the person, not the car. You change car...you keep your reg number.
    VeVex wrote:
    The entire system is designed to make the little people think that its cars causing the problem. This is to deflect attention from the main contributors - big industry, airlines and agriculture. Cars are only a small slice of the pie.

Cars are generally estimated at 10% of total Co2 emissions. In the US, this has previously been estimated at being as high as 33%
    The airline industry is estimated at 2-4% of total CO2 emissions.

The entire system isn't designed to make the little people think that cars are what are causing the problem. Its designed to make them realise what part(s) of the problem their direct choices can influence.

People are encouraged to fly less, to choose cars more sensibly, and to reduce their electricity usage. There have been some (failed) attempts to try and make them think 'greener' in terms of the produce they consume.

OF course, you can argue that its up to the farmers to do their bit, and the airlines, and the big industry, and the car manufacturers....and that you shouldn't have to do anything at all, because you only consume what they produce....but you know what....most of the consumer-focussed industry only makes a change when consumers demand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

CO2 means nothing to consumers, fuel consumption does.
    CO2 is directly related to fuel efficiency. 2.4kg of CO2 for each litre of petrol burnt. 2.7kg of CO2 for each litre of diesel.

My ESB bill represents a larger portion of my CO2 footprint than my Car's petrol usage but I'm near powerless to reduce my ESB CO2 footprint as my electricity usage is already very low.

I'm still going to get a more fuel efficient car next time round but in no hurry to change my current car. the new Fiat twin cylinder SGE engine that will appear in the Fiat Panda and 500 interests me as it will get near 70mpg but I'm in no hurry to change as it's in my interest and the environment's interest to run my current car in to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I think if Gormley had his way, he would attack industry/airlines and every other big polluter. The problem is, there isn't the political or economic will to do anything about such areas. They are simply too big and too valuable to the economy (both national and international) to start messing with.
    So what happens? The government need to be seen to be acting 'Green', they get the Greens in to Government with them and toss Gormley a bone by way motor tax/VRT reform; easy pickings compared with big industry and airlines. As has been noted, this merely a drop in the ocean in the scheme of all things CO2 related, but the illusion of an eco-friendly government is created. Just my 2c.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

It's not about Ireland its about the EU. Like it or not we are part of the EU and have to pull our weight whether you think it makes a difference or not. And its not just about cars, but I won't go there in the motors forum!

Advertisement