Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to wear or not to wear...

Options
  • 16-04-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

im tempted to surf without a wetsuit. My wet suit tan line is getting ridiculous lol. I have big brown tanned hands with white arms. The same story on my neck. I have the collar popped up all the time nowadays.

What do you guys do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Surfing with no wetsuit at the moment is almost guarenteed to turn you a nice shade of blue I would think I'm the same though, my hands and face are really tanning and the rest of me is like a snowball. I think when it gets warmer ill try just shorts and rash vest. If your feeling brave at the moment a shortie may be the answer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You might get away with shorts and a rashie for maybe a half hour or so on the hottest day of the year, where the tide has come in over sand that has been baked by the sun all day :)

We just don't get water warm enough for that really. You'll get away with a shortie in the summer alright or maybe even a short sleeved wetsuit jacket and shorts.

If you're that concerned about your tan lines you could should use proper sun block, it's absolutely necessary in the summer as you can end up with a face like a lobster after a good session. Get some of the really strong stuff that you buy in a tub and turns your face white, I've no idea what it's called, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Enygma wrote: »
    You might get away with shorts and a rashie for maybe a half hour or so on the hottest day of the year, where the tide has come in over sand that has been baked by the sun all day :)

I know, wishful thinking is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Try it - maybe you're a superhard bastich. But while the sea is getting warmer in april, it's still pretty cold, as cold as it was in December. (Jan feb and march are colder)

I swim wetsuitless all year round (albeit very short distances at this time of year) wouldn't dream of surfing around ireland at any without a wetsuit. I would just be too uncomfortable and cold sitting on the board with the wind chill etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RedStarHardkore

Enygma wrote: »
    Get some of the really strong stuff that you buy in a tub and turns your face white, I've no idea what it's called, sorry.

I think it's called lanolin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wear a shortie in the summer with a rash vest and shorts over it so you can't see the wetsuit at all

Makes me look like a proper Home and Away dude

But I couldnt surf at this temp without a full winter wetsuit and boots (usually gloves and a hat too)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yeah it's suicide if you go out in Ireland with anything less than a 5/3 in April, your feet would go numb without boots too. I've been surfing lately in just shorts and a rashie but that's Oz and NZ for you. Water in North NZ is so warm, warmer than here in Victoria. It's so much easier without a suit too, you can paddle forever and pop up much better etc.
    Roll on global warming in the West of Eire!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

I drove up home from Dublin last September. Then on the Saturday went for a surf, realised I forgot to pack the wet suit, so went out in a pair of boardies. Lasted about 20 minutes. It was absolutely baltic. If your torso was in the water all the time you could probably last longer, but the wind chill sitting on your board means you wont have a very long session.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Gerk, it's one just one of those things you need to get used to if you surf in ireland. I'd go to a shortie for some of the summer but wouldn't feel comfortable in board shorts except mabe a day or two.
    Lot of it is down to metabilism and body fat level, there's a guy you'd see regularly in strandhill during the summer/autumn months surfing his long board in just boardies. Someone told me he surfs christmas day in just his boardies too.The way i look at it is that the suit allows you to stay out longer and catch more waves.
    On the issue of the sun in the water you can get nice base ball caps with a chin strap designed for surfing, good for keeping the sun out of your eyeswhen it's setting or if it's very hot and you're going to be out a long time.

I wear a shortie in the summer with a rash vest and shorts over it so you can't see the wetsuit at all

That's funny I may try it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

haha, thanks lads. Wetsuit it is then i guess. Headin to california for the summer so i'll get to see what it feels like to surf in board shorts. Can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

When I'm abroad its nice to surf without the suit, but I find that body traction on the board is terrible and no amount of board wax will keep a wet topless torso from slipping at least a bit.

It does feel more natural though, and the pop up and paddle out are much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

Hey, bit of the point but does anyone know where you can get one of those peaked surf hats with the chin strap? Tho ones to keep the sun off your face. My girlfriend is always moaning that she gets scalded when the suns out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I got mine in cally but i'd say you'd get one on ebay or maybe some of the better surf shops,give them a call before hand. they're great by the way.

Advertisement