Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks ??

Options
  • 16-04-2008 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

I never noticed the little thanks from .... thing between posts before, I didn't even know about it. Was it always there, why is it there, whats it all about. I thought I was gettin the hang of boards, is it something I never noticed ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's only been in for the last few weeks or so. I'll have your thanks now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Long thread on it a few weeks ago here. It was taken away for a short while then reinstated with restrictions on the amount of thanks that could be distributed as it was being abused. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's only been in for the last few weeks or so. I'll have your thanks now please.
    Asking for thanks, hmmmmmmmm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Its there to either acknowledge someone has made a good or helpful point, made someone else laugh or generally done something.

I *think* it was designed to overcome the series of +1 posts you may get as well, but aint sure on that.

However, asking for thanks gets a smack lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I give it when someone makes me laugh. Genuinely laugh "out loud".

And when someone has been helpful, particularly on forums I mod.

And when someone makes a decent point.

And sometimes sarcastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    Asking for thanks, hmmmmmmmm?
    Marksie wrote: »
    However, asking for thanks gets a smack lol :D

*sigh* It wasn't meant as a serious comment. It was showing the user the type of situation it COULD be used in i.e. when someone is helpful. But whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There was a post about it the FAQ thread in Newbies & Faq but it got a bit lost in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

So I'm not losing it. Phew.
    Kudos to boards for that one, those +1 messages are not really worth a post. This newfangled way is definitely a good thing, I've always felt as if agreeing with someone who has put it well was a little bit of a "yes" man response, and that it just wasted posting space.

On another matter entirely but not worth a new thread, how long are threads kept in the system after they have gone dormant ? or do the mods eventually lock and burn all the unwanted or unused threads ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

On another matter entirely but not worth a new thread, how long are threads kept in the system after they have gone dormant ? or do the mods eventually lock and burn all the unwanted or unused threads ?

They generally don't get rid of old threads. It only really happens when a thread becomes problematic or a poster bumps a really old thread with a stupid response.

Advertisement