Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What paint for new plaster walls

Options
  • 16-04-2008 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all

the plaster in our new house is about ready for some paint going to do everything white to start off.

was told by a professional to use cheap white paint but i forgot to ask what type as there seems to be loads of options.:confused:

so basically what paint do i need and how much water should i add and do i need to sand the plaster first ????

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hi all

the plaster in our new house is about ready for some paint going to do everything white to start off.

was told by a professional to use cheap white paint but i forgot to ask what type as there seems to be loads of options.:confused:

so basically what paint do i need and how much water should i add and do i need to sand the plaster first ????

thanks
    ... was told by a professional to use cheap white paint..
    :eek:
    professional what?

know just enough about painting that if u make a mess of the first layer that goes on the wall u will have problems so hopefully some good advice will follow here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭secman

Buy a good brand of white emulsion paint and add 25% water to it and this will be the best way of priming your newly plastered walls. We did this on our new build and it worked a treat.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

You have a better chance of getting it right than if you use that "professional".
    First coat is the most important coat. Get it right.

Any painter and decorator by trade will back my advice, thats where I got it from. The reason you water down first coat is to get good soakage into the plaster, hence a good prime coat.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

thanks secman for a actual answer not a smart ass remark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Key word here: MATT paint...nothing with any sheen to it. Washable matt =/= matt BTW.

Decent brand/quality white matt emulsion with about 20-30% water added and well mixed (keep mixing every hour or so as the solids tend to settle)
    Short pile roller, try not to put too much paint in one spot without making sure it's all been evened out. Don't worry about coverage...this isn't really the intention here.

Should you be intending to finish in deeper creams or yellows, have the matt white mixed up in a similar colour; just makes it easier to cover in subsequent coats.
    If you intend to use dark colours on your walls as a finish, it's an idea to prime those walls with the colour you intend to finish with (in matt)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Secman, I think you may have read me wrong, My comment was aimed at the "professional" that advised cheap paint for the first coat.

No problem 2 stroke, ,I was just trying to help the OP. We got very sound advice from Wertz when we were at that stage of new build and it worked a treat.
    Thanks again wertz

Secman

Advertisement