Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything €7.49 at Play.com

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

basquille wrote: »
    Some good bargains in there, among plenty of crap!

Full range here!

Best value of all in DVD's is probably Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2 Discs) at €7.49 - a steal!

Good range, unffortunately they have reverted to their former policy of gouging us on their Euro conversion. Ats back to 1.5 to the pound again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

whiterebel wrote: »
    Good range, unffortunately they have reverted to their former policy of gouging us on their Euro conversion. Ats back to 1.5 to the pound again.

I was wondering what happened, I had 4 or 5 titles picked out to buy in the last few weeks and they have all gone up by €1 or €1.50. :mad:

Films that were €5.49 or €6.99 are now €7.49.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

For that reason, i wouldn't buy. I was looking for an email adress to fire off a rasper, but I can't find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye I bought Team America at the start of the month and it was €5.50 now it's €7.50 so can't say I would be bothered using play while they use that exchange rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hansman

I think it's very understandable. They have to pay additional postage to send to Ireland so why should we get the same free postage as the UK if they have to pay more. I presume this is why they do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Lets say Play.com changed their site ,for Irish delivery charges.

Exactly how much more work and cost would be involved in pricing individual items for postage ?
    Compared to an increased exchange .

Edit ,No need to reply . Consumer issues post really.

hansman wrote: »
    I think it's very understandable. They have to pay additional postage to send to Ireland so why should we get the same free postage as the UK if they have to pay more. I presume this is why they do this.

€2.50 EXTRA - I don't think so. Its only from Jersey, not like its the other side of the world. They dropped the rate back to something approaching reasonable a week or two ago.

311 wrote: »
    Lets say Play.com changed their site ,for Irish delivery charges.

Exactly how much more work and cost would be involved in pricing individual items for postage ?
    Compared to an increased exchange .

Edit ,No need to reply . Consumer issues post really.

Play.com didn't have a problem when the rate actually was approx 1.50 to the pound. Therefore the extra now is profit, not extra costs. Plus they don't need to change postage for Ireland, they have a Euro rate which would change across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ciaran*

I haven't checked everything but it looks like they only changed the rate on the cheaper items. The games still seem to be the same new lower prices, ie was 51.49 now 46.49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Because they state all over the site that delivery is free, both inside and outside the UK. If they're factoring it into the exchange rate then it's not free delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Englands postage would be at least the same as jersey ,amazon's charges are roughly €2 for dvd.

We're talking about money here ,no business hands money out for free. Amazon have free delivery to uk aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

THE FREE DELIVERY IS GoOD MARKETING THOUGH
    THATS WHY THEY DON'T WANT TO INTRODUCE IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was looking through that list of DVDs, some decent titles in there and was considering getting some, but seeing as some of them were 5-6 euro last week, paying 7.50 now on "special offer" just seems wrong. Might leave it now.

And as has been said before, Play shouldn't be claiming free post to Ireland if there's a postal charge being built into the exchange rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

Another play exchange cash-in is
    2 shirts for £20 and in euro it is 2 for €31. It should be c.€24-25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I mailed them using their 'report a technical fault' form asking was the currency a technical problem or were they simply discriminating against eurozone customers quoting the fluctuation range since the start of 2008 (£1 = €1.25 to €1.34). :)

Perhaps if enough people do the same they'd take notice?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

F*ck Play is all I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yeah, but they also came to an arrangement with the UK inland revenue that they'd pay them VAT to avoid being come down on like a ton of bricks. There is no such arrangement with the Irish revenue - they just pocket it. Also, at one stage a few years back, a lot of stuff seemed to actually be getting shipped from Belgium, I've no idea whether this is still the case or not. At any rate, the idea that they have extra shipping costs is a red herring when, as others have pointed out, they managed just fine when the exchange rates were less favourable from their point of view. This is just blatant profiteering of the exact same sort that we see in practically all the UK stores operating here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Just checked the Tarantino Box Set, gone up €10. ffs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Well if anyone *does* order a few things in this sale, don't forget the Promotional Code: "experience08" for an extra 5% off the order (only works once per customer apparently until 31 May).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Steve J

jor el wrote: »
    I was looking through that list of DVDs, some decent titles in there and was considering getting some, but seeing as some of them were 5-6 euro last week, paying 7.50 now on "special offer" just seems wrong. Might leave it now.

And as has been said before, Play shouldn't be claiming free post to Ireland if there's a postal charge being built into the exchange rate.

Charging for post is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Advertisement