Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgraged to Elite....Pretty Good Value

• 16-04-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I was going to upgrade my 360s hard disc to the 120Gb version. Its 179 euro in Gamestop.

But I also inquired if they did any upgrades from a premium to an elite system. This was 199 euro.

So it was a no brainer! I went home and packed up my premium 360 (I still had the box !!), and I moved what I could (my profile and some game saves to a memory unit).

I brought it in (Premium 360, Wireless controller, Headset, and powerpack/cables) and upgraded to an Elite.

So for and extra 20 euro over the cost of the 120Gb hard disc, I have a brand new Elite, and another 12month warranty (not that I ever had problems with my old 360). :D:D

Its pretty cool looking in black, and I find it not to be as noisy as the old one. I also like the new HDMI port, which I'm using, less cables to plug-in!!

Gamestop also offer to copy your info from the 20Gb disk to the new 120Gb disk if you need it.

Pretty happy all round. So if anyone else is thinking of upgrading their Hard disk, Consider getting the Elite, makes sense for the sake of 20Euro over the cost of the hard disc.

Ohh and I traded in in Gamestop Henry Street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

what do you need a 120gb harddrive on an xbox for tho?

my launch day machines drive has about 11gb free on it and its got saves for over 100 games on 2 profiles and a fair few downloaded games on it

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Helix wrote: »

my launch day machines drive has about 11gb free on it and its got saves for over 100 games on 2 profiles and a fair few downloaded games on it

Well I'm putting music onto it, downloading game and game demos, and not to mention expansion packs/map packs for games (the Halo 3 Heroic & legendary map packs total nearly a Gig in size) and I also hope to download load some movies also.

Its no secret Microsoft are pushing the download-able content, and I know I'm going to need more space. So I thought it was a good trade in for 199. If anyone else was thinking of doing it, I thought it made sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

€200 for a 120gb hard drive is good value? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm down to about 3gigs now – got rid of music and demos. I downloaded some xbox originals and have quite a few expansion packs/map packs which all add up. I can see myself needing this before too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

As Ms expand their XNA/movie offerings, more and more people will probably find themselves running low on space.

Not me yet, I did a clean up last night and have loads of space now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It'd only be useful for xbox originals + movies, but my bandwith can't really handle them, plus movies can be acquired cheaper elsewhere. I don't have a hdmi port on mine so that's the only reason upgrading to an elite would be in anyway appealing. Don't need the 120gb hard drive, and f*cking rip off wouldn't come close to describing it. Also the console looks horrible in black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I bought the 120 GB HDD for my Premium a few months ago. A few of the lads questioned my decision and wondered why I didn't just upgrade to an Elite. It shouldn't be an issue, but I'd had my console back from repairs a few months before and I thought I'd be best to stick with it. The fear of the RROD caught me!

ShaneU wrote: »
    €200 for a 120gb hard drive is good value? :rolleyes:

In the context of a new machine, where the alternative 120Gb drive is 179, absolutely it is good value. :p
    It'd only be useful for xbox originals + movies, but my bandwith can't really handle them, plus movies can be acquired cheaper elsewhere. I don't have a hdmi port on mine so that's the only reason upgrading to an elite would be in anyway appealing. Don't need the 120gb hard drive, and f*cking rip off wouldn't come close to describing it. Also the console looks horrible in black.

Whats your alternative for the integrated hard drive? Most things to do with consoles are rip offs, there are very accessories that are worth their money, even then controllers are over priced. I think in the context of 179 for the Hard disc alone or 199 for a new console, its a no brainer. I'm sure there are plenty of people looking to buy the larger disc. As for the colour, thats your opinion, but you're wrong, its pretty cool looking I have to say. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I use a 500gb external hard drive (which I got for €80 brand new a few months back) for music and movies. Seeing as you can't just transfer anything on to an xbox hard drive like you would a normal usb external drive then I can't see the point in getting a bigger one, and 120gb would be far too small for videos anyway.

I use a 500gb external hard drive (which I got for €80 brand new a few months back) for music and movies. Seeing as you can't just transfer anything on to an xbox hard drive like you would a normal usb external drive then I can't see the point in getting a bigger one, and 120gb would be far too small for videos anyway.

But your 500gb external drive is only suitable for non Xbox stuff. Like you said you can't transfer stuff from your 500Gb to the Xbox 20/120Gb drives. Therefore when downloading stuff from the Marketplace you need to use the Xbox drive unit.

And back to my original point, if anyone was thinking of buying the 120Gb drive, it makes more sense for the sake of 20euro more to upgrade to an elite. I was just raising the thread as a note to anyone thinking of upgrading, that it made sense to upgrade to the Elite. I'll definitely be using the HDMI connection too.

And its really cool in black! :cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Very tempted to do this to get the bigger harddrive, the HDMI cable and the 70nm chips that run quieter (my current Xbox 360 sounds like a harrier taking off)

Wondering how it effects your Xbox LIVE! Gold subscription, if at all? Can you simply log into Xbox LIVE! on the new system and be up and running straight away? Anyone know?

Also can you download your Arcade Games again (don't mind doing this, but would be annoyed if I had to pay for them again to download)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No problem using the same Live sub...you just click on recover gamertag and away you go.

You can have your arcade games transferred to your new HD but you must be connected to Live to play them on the new HD. Doesnt cost anything.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Very tempted to do this to get the bigger harddrive, the HDMI cable and the 70nm chips that run quieter (my current Xbox 360 sounds like a harrier taking off)

Wondering how it effects your Xbox LIVE! Gold subscription, if at all? Can you simply log into Xbox LIVE! on the new system and be up and running straight away? Anyone know?

Also can you download your Arcade Games again (don't mind doing this, but would be annoyed if I had to pay for them again to download)

Yea you can use your existing Live profile. I moved mine to a memory card, before buying, and then just moved it back to the new console, didn't need to recover it. I also move some game saves and and stuff to the memory card.

you then just need to set-up your network stuff as per your old machine and away you go. I was up and running in 10 minutes when I got it back home!

Very happy with it. Definitely quieter than the old premium one, and the power pack felt a bit lighter too.

Ohh and did I mention...Its really cool in black :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

bucks73 wrote: »
    No problem using the same Live sub...you just click on recover gamertag and away you go.

You can have your arcade games transferred to your new HD but you must be connected to Live to play them on the new HD. Doesnt cost anything.

May want to be a little be wary all the same..
    Golden Axe and Double Dragon from Live Arcade at the very least have known issues when running on your new system/HDD..
    If you have bought the full versions on your old system, you'll only be able to play the trial (even if you download the full version) on your new system..
    From what I gather, the only away around this is to contact MS over the phone..............although in Double Dragon's case (I cannot speak for GAxe), you can load it up, sign out of your profile, sign back in, and hey presto !.......you're back into full game mode (only problem is, you have to do that every time you load it up)..
    Not sure if there are other games affected mind you, but other people have definitely seen it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Jesus,

its only an Elite!

I did mine recently aswell, but the DRM is ****in me up with my arcade games and divx when im offline which is a right pain in the nuts.....

Wicknight wrote: »

the new ones are no quieter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I find my elite a lot quieter than my launch console, bout 1/4 as quiet as the old one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Plus ur arcade games won't work offline. Well known issue that MS can't be bothered fixing and it's a real pain.
    It's grand when you have broadband access but I moved last year so had to do without..so my full games now are only demos until connected to live.
    Same for divx support..better of to create a new silver live account and use this one for divx playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

God damnit!!!. does anyone know how long it'll take for my xbox 360 to come back from england where its being repaired?.
    I sent it away 18 days ago but ive bin without for like 24 days. i dont know if it had RROD or whatever the hell that is, but mine started freezing a lot and then the three red lights came on it. God damnit!!. im starting to get withdrawal symptoms HAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously.. i amicon9.gif

Fieldog wrote: »
    I find my elite a lot quieter than my launch console, bout 1/4 as quiet as the old one....

maybe the elites are, but the newer regular boxes sure arent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

I got an elite just after Christmas. Definitely quieter, but still pretty noisy overall. I've used over 30GB now with arcade games, original games and a few demos, so it's been worth it for me.

The thing that annoyed me most was the ten week wait for the data migration kit. That's over 2 months that I would have been using the old hard drive, but losing the warranty on the new one. They should just stick one in the box, they can't cost much to produce. Aftert a month I got sick of waiting and borrowed a memory unit to transfer save files, arcade games, etc. It was a bit fiddly swapping hard drives back and forth and recovering gamertag again and again, but it meant I could sell on the old premium.

Incidentally, if anyone has upgraded and needs a migration kit PM me. But only if you are willing to offer it to someone else and post it to them. "Karma dude, karma..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Ive got 2 elites and one is definitely quieter than the other

peterk19 wrote: »
    Ive got 2 elites and one is definitely quieter than the other

thats super, im not talking about elites lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Technically you are the only difference is the Hard drive size and the colour of the case so yes it is super lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

peterk19 wrote: »
    Technically you are the only difference is the Hard drive size and the colour of the case so yes it is super lol

That's true of the newer premiums certainly - and you're right it's not much of an upgrade for the price. But upgrading from an older premium means you get hdmi, quieter console, bigger hard drive, and depending on the batch your premium came from, a better optical drive (mine couldn't handle Halo 3 saves). But I get your point, for someone buying an xbox360 for the first time the newer premiums are a much better choice value for money wise.

Advertisement