Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Throttling speeds a bit extreme?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

cgarvey wrote: »
    Yes they do, of course they do. It's just they don't tell you what they are. If there's one guy maxing out his connection 24/7 on a given mast, you can be sure he'll be contacted.

How do you know this? Do you work for IBB?

Plenty of people have been on here who are IBB customers and swear that therir are no limits.

BTW do you by any chance work for Digiweb?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I can categorically say cgarvey is not working in Digiweb and is very impartial.

They may not always contact people, I don't know. But most "no cap" packages still have FUP clauses and ISPs reserve right to limit traffic to heavy users. Only buisness "leased line" class packages are true unlimited (and possible to have 1:1).

see also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055303538

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Its just not economically viable to have a truly unlimited product aimed at home users. Irish Broadband have a fair use policy. It is exactly the same as a cap but they can decide what it is when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

admol wrote: »
    How do you know this?

It's not rocket science. It is not financially possible to offer unlimited broadband at residential rates. All residential broadband products (whether capped or not) are subject to an AUP/T&C that allows the operator to reserve the right to terminate. For the likes of Smart (with very few customers, and decent network topology meaning the only contention is between ALL users, not on a DSLAM level, like all other DSL providers), they won't be banning users left, right and centre. NTL was once like this. However, as ISPs grow, and their backhaul slowly fills up, you can be sure that caps/AUPs will come in to play.
    admol wrote: »
    Do you work for IBB?

Plenty of people have been on here who are IBB customers and swear that therir are no limits.

BTW do you by any chance work for Digiweb?

If you bothered to check my profile, you'd see who I worked for and what I do. I'm one of the most open posters here. But hey, don't bother checking; just start your conspiracy theories away there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I can absolutely confirm that CG hates all ISPs equally :D

In fairness, CG presents a totally unbiased view here....but it's best not to annoy him too much or patronise him - both of which I have now probably done. I'm sunk!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 jbdub

Its just not economically viable to have a truly unlimited product aimed at home users. Irish Broadband have a fair use policy. It is exactly the same as a cap but they can decide what it is when it suits them.

No thats not true at all, i worked there and i have 3Mb breeze at home. It's totally uncapped unless you start taking the complete p*ss. The only time i saw someone contacted is when they sent 60,000 emails in like 2 days. I sold these connections to people uploading and downloading from FTP sites trafficking about 5Gb at minimum a day and they only used us beacuse we didnt cap.
    Don't get me wrong IBB have their problems but they're honest about the no caps on downloads and usage.

Advertisement