Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting Drinks

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

RedXIV wrote: »
    I'm WORKING ON IT!!!!

ah what can i say, if i was talking to someone for more than 10 mins i'd offer em a drink. i'm a sucker for trying to makes a good impression :o
    #

bloody hell mate, please tell me you get at least one if not a few drinks back??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

ChewChew wrote: »
    #

bloody hell mate, please tell me you get at least one if not a few drinks back??

Have to say, 80% of the time the person i'm chatting too is adamant that they get the next drink back at least, if not to begin taking turns. Just lucky in my social encounters :D. But i will confess that i have spent a night buying drink for peoples and got nothing in return. Sometimes i have drinks gotten for me another night, sometimes i never see them again. if i was overly annoyed about it, i'd probably have learned a long time ago. As it stands, i still usually have fun on nights out

Have to say, 80% of the time the person i'm chatting too is adamant that they get the next drink back at least, if not to begin taking turns. Just lucky in my social encounters :D. But i will confess that i have spent a night buying drink for peoples and got nothing in return. Sometimes i have drinks gotten for me another night, sometimes i never see them again. if i was overly annoyed about it, i'd probably have learned a long time ago. As it stands, i still usually have fun on nights out

you are one crazy boy :eek: no wonder they all hang around you getting drinks. sure the gang from last weekend are in the corner saying ''ah yeah look, there's yer man.now just go over and talk to him, sure chat about anything and I promise you he will get ya a drink''. . ;) whats bars do you drink in?? just so I'll know when I'm broke, and need a drinkie!! :rolleyes:

you are one crazy boy :eek: no wonder they all hang around you getting drinks. sure the gang from last weekend are in the corner saying ''ah yeah look, there's yer man.now just go over and talk to him, sure chat about anything and I promise you he will get ya a drink''. . ;) whats bars do you drink in?? just so I'll know when I'm broke, and need a drinkie!! :rolleyes:

has its advantages too. A mates birthday is on tonight and i told her (truthfully) that i'm broke. Within half an hour, 7 of my mates texted me to tell me to come out, they owe me a few drinks. so i may saunter out now, fiver in my pocket, content that i will be looked after :D
    Been buying drinks for people for years, and for the last 3 weeks, while i've been broke, it's been great! people have been paying for everything for me. even people i haven't seen in ages or only see in pubs ;)

For future reference. anyone looking for a drink, i'm rarely in the same town for nights out but you'll know when i get there coz everyone is wasted :D

has its advantages too. A mates birthday is on tonight and i told her (truthfully) that i'm broke. Within half an hour, 7 of my mates texted me to tell me to come out, they owe me a few drinks. so i may saunter out now, fiver in my pocket, content that i will be looked after :D
    Been buying drinks for people for years, and for the last 3 weeks, while i've been broke, it's been great! people have been paying for everything for me. even people i haven't seen in ages or only see in pubs ;)

For future reference. anyone looking for a drink, i'm rarely in the same town for nights out but you'll know when i get there coz everyone is wasted :D

ah so a bit of Karma there then. Well thats good to know that your mates wnt and dont take advantage of you. but its the random strangers that butter you up then get the drinks out of you that I'd be worried about. you need a good old shakin mister!!! teeheehee

have a ball tonight. . paint that town (whichever town it is) red!!! :p

• Advertisement

I made alot of friends out of strangers buttering me up though! i even had a girlfriend for a year start as such! being honest, only 1 in 5 ever get the drink and get lost. them's good odds to me :D

Should be a good night tonight now. gonna have to use my awesome charm to win people over instead of my wallet.....this could be tricky

I look forward to a review. post party of course.

And some tips on what works on getting a drink from a boy?? teeheehee.

no I dont mean that. I work hard monday to friday. I burst my balls all day long. I come home clean the house, cook the dinner do the ironing. I own these diamonds in my ears and these fabulous clothes on my back. I am independant. I dont need no boy!!

Phew. . that was a good one to get off ones chest!! :D

I look forward to a review. post party of course.

And some tips on what works on getting a drink from a boy?? teeheehee.

After a cheap night out of no money to start with, i have found with serveral results and several witness's to back me up that getting a drink off a girl you have not met before to be moderately difficult. and suprisingly easier the older the girl. not a HOPE off a girl around 19 but three girls in their early 30's bought me drinks :D admittedly i was playing bar bets to win the drinks but they actually paid up which suprised me. Men? HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH we don't buy drinks for other guys. we haven't the cleavage for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Ok, girls seem to think that it's all about getting "pussy for pints" when blokes buy them drinks.

I don't think so.

There are lads like myself, and plenty of others, who are simply up for having craic on a night out. If I get talking to a girl or 2 while I'm waiting to get served, I'll offer. If they accept, I'll bring them over to whoever I'm out clubbing with etc. Usually more towards the end of the night when the banter is in full flow.

Anyone else similar here?

After a cheap night out of no money to start with, i have found with serveral results and several witness's to back me up that getting a drink off a girl you have not met before to be moderately difficult. and suprisingly easier the older the girl. not a HOPE off a girl around 19 but three girls in their early 30's bought me drinks :D admittedly i was playing bar bets to win the drinks but they actually paid up which suprised me. Men? HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH we don't buy drinks for other guys. we haven't the cleavage for it

That sounds positive. lol. The 19 yo is probably a student and only has a part time job, and struggeling to buy herself beers. I'm 24 and I'd buy a guy a drink no problem, if I thought he was good fun. obviously. I was out last night, and tried my hardest to get boys to buy me a drink (I was just testing the theory) but to no avail. I didnt get one drink. nope.not one. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Its a weird one honestly dont have a big problem with randomners offering to by me drinks as it doesnt happen very often! I have no problem saying no if its something i am uncomfortable with.

Been out with male friends a few times and ended up not buying a single drink for myself, i think its a lads thing to drink in rounds. I usually just try and stay out of the rounds thing, otherwise cause i dont drink that much I end up not buying anything or else getting screwed by the round system and having to buy an expensive round. When i am out with my bf's friend and their girlfriends the guys also buy the rounds so i just let my bf get our portion and sort it out afterwards. He finds it less awkward that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If it's obvious a guy is into you are you're into him then I have no problem accepting a drink.
    For example, my boyfriend bought me a few drinks the night we met.
    I wouldn't have accepted them if I didn't like him, but I did so all good.

I have recently become a bit alcohol intolerant so if someone offers to buy me a drink and I don't want one I'll just ask for a coke. Generally no one minds, sure it's cheaper for them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

If a randomner offers to buy me a drink, I say no thanks. If I get chatting to someone though and all's going well, I wouldn't say no to the offer of a drink. Or I'll get him a drink (depends on who's finished their drink first!)

Pythia wrote: »
    I have recently become a bit alcohol intolerant so if someone offers to buy me a drink and I don't want one I'll just ask for a coke. Generally no one minds, sure it's cheaper for them anyway!

Was out the other night and one of the girls out with me asked for a rock shandy. Cost me about €1.50 more than a pint. this is the end of pioneers, i tells ya!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

PSI wrote: »
    So what do people here do? Has anyone refused a drink? How do they do it? Politely? With a put down?
    I generally sip a drink when out with friends at a pub or club, so if some randomer shows up with another, I politely say that "Thanks, but I can't, cause I'm the designated driver for tonight and can't put my friends at risk." Of course, that doesn't work if I am already wasted, Ha!
    PSI wrote:
    Does anyone really buy a drink without motive?
    Yes, everyone has a motive. Sometimes it's just to have company, then again some lads are hopeful that it will lead to something more...

One worry that I have in So Cal, and not when I was in Dub, are reports of blokes spiking your drink before giving it to you. So I would never accept a drink from a stranger here, if I did not receive it directly from the bar tender or server.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Have to say, I bought my gf a few drinks the first time we met. Obviously I thought she was hot or I wouldn't have ended up going out with her but I wasn't buying her drinks to get stuck in. We'd been talking for a while (She was hanging out with a cousin of mine at said cousin's brother's engagement party) and since I was heading to the bar anyway I offered to get her one while I was there. We were talking til about six am that night and I can put my hand on my heart and say I expected not a thing.

As it stands at the moment, I pay for more of the drinks while we're out but I earn a good bit more than her so I don't see it as an issue. She likes paying for stuff too and I have no issue with it other than the whole income difference thing.

However, if I was in a bar (I tend to sit at the bar itself more often than not these days and go to pretty quiet bars, so talk to many many people) and got talking to someone I'd normally offer to buy them a drink if I'm getting on well with them. I do the same be it male or female if I'm doing it at all and never expect anything from it. Many's a time though the missus has met me in a bar at some point to find me talking to a bunch of people I've never seen in my life and will never see again.

When out with friends, if I'm feeling flush I may pay for their drink for the night, especially if they have no cash. But just like RedXIV showed, when I can't afford the booze, they'll sort me out. The group I hang out with don't even keep track of silly things like who owes who a drink anymore, we just live safe in the knowledge that we'll be looked after when we need it.

For example, if I decide to hit the pub after work today, I'll ring a one or two mates. If they're a little short on cash I'll tell them I have it sorted. One of them might ring me next week and say the same thing to me. Nobody likes to drink on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

didnt chris rock say something about this? like when a guy offers a drink hes really saying 'may i offer you some dick' ? :F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Say thank you, and leave it on the table, or water a plant / toilet with it. If you dont want it, dont drink it. Yes, some people get rather.. excitable during a night out and stupidly assume everyone wants an over priced shot in an idiotic attempt to show off how generous they are / special they are - wtf ever.

Dont think its so much social invasion as it is social stupidity. Simply say you dont want one / leave it / dump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sharkie2008

i think its awful girls who go out and expect to have drinks bought to them by random fellas. I have a friend like this and it annoys me so much cause she has a boyfriend but will still lead some guys on for the sake of a drink.

i have to admit though that i have taken drinks bought to me but will buy a drink back. one of the best nights i had was on canal street in manchester, meet a guy who bought me a few drinks and refused any in return. we spent the whole night talking about our boyfriends and it was nice not to have it in the back of my head that he may want something in return.

i won't take a drink if i feel the guy buying it will expect something more than a drink in return. not all guys are like this but you can always tell the ones who are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

When single if im chatting to and getting on well with a girl ill offer to buy her a drink wheneve im going up next because I want to keep chatting to them but if the girl doesnt reciprocate later id say my goodbye's. Its very rare that girls dont offer to buy one in turn though, though maybe thats beause of the type of girl id chat to in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

What are the ideas here about accepting drinks?

I hang out with some pretty extrovert guys, in particular, my brother usually gets talking to drunk guys in bars (not as many drunk girls as he'd like).

Because of the whole Irish thing, drinks usually ensue, usually car bombs or whisky and I always end up with a really strong drink of something that I can neither handle nor like.

This comes with the added issue of the person who bought the drink, or his friend, wanting to talk to me for the rest of the night.

Its pretty much a taboo here, to refuse a drink, but even though it doesn't mean anything, its almost a free invitation to invade company.

So what do people here do? Has anyone refused a drink? How do they do it? Politely? With a put down?

Does anyone really buy a drink without motive?

I think the original point may have wittered away here. To me, the OP is asking what we do in the event of a drink being bought that was never asked for, and the invasion of privacy that may come with it. Not so much about generally receiving and reciprocating drinks - ie. rounds.

To put it finely, is it that they are marking you for sex later and assuming they will get it simply because they 'bought' a drink for you, again that was never really asked for.

Advertisement